“This is where you have to stay if you ever visit Waikiki” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Suite Deal w/ $200 Credit
Ranked #3 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
San Francisco, California
“This is where you have to stay if you ever visit Waikiki”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I have no complaint about my stay from beginning to end.
The staff is amazing, and I meant every single one of them. They are very friendly and helpful. The concierge is certainly knowledgeable about the island and they've done nothing but accommodating my every needs.
If you decide to trust me and stay at this wonderful hotel, check out the bar at night.
It's called The Study and the bartender is fabulous, best cocktail I've ever tasted.
If you doubt my over-positive comment, go ahead and try other pplaces, but you'll regret.
I, myself, stayed my last night at Prince, another hotel nearby, due to some last minute change of plan. And they were nowhere near the Modern

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

1,434 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Modern Honolulu Hotel is by far the best hotel in Waikiki. I have traveled all over Asia and accustom to 5-star treatment throughout all Asia. Over the decades the U.S. has lost its "service" attitude and it is rare to find a hotel that treats each person like a VIP. Well, you will certainly find it at the Modern Honolulu. As you drive up and enter the Modern Honolulu, you will be greeted with a 5-star attitude, real lemonade and a cold hand towel as you begin your check-in process. The front desk staff personalize your the check-in process and make you feel like you are a VIP. The valet staff will take care of all your bags, park your car (if you have one), and when you are ready to drive out somewhere, the valet staff will quickly get your car and have a bottle(s) of water in the cup holder(s). Since discovering the Modern Honolulu two years ago with eight stays to date, I do not want to stay at any other hotel in Waikiki.

The rooms are super up-to-date, look new, and the bathrooms are solid with great amenities. The overall feel of the room makes you want to stay there all day -- well in Waikiki -- better go to the beach. Lastly, the rooms are turned at 7:00 pm and lights dimmed.

**NOTE** the cheese burger is outstanding and the morning coffee stays out until 9:30 am.

Modern Honolulu is my favorite hotel in Waikiki. The staff is extremely professional and will accommodate your requests. If you are a courteous guest and return a nice attitude, most likely you will be upgraded.

Room Tip: All rooms are great
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

My parents surprised me with an overnight stay at the Modern the night before my birthday while they watched our babies.

Even though we only live 2.5 miles from the property and I've grown up in Honolulu, my husband and I truly felt like we were on vacation as soon as we arrived. We were greeted by a friendly and informed staff. Our room was ocean front, which because the way the hotel is situated, when you go out on the balcony you look directly at the marina from the side we were on. So pretty.
The decor was just our style, crisp and clean with pops of color. Updated features like a keurig and ipad upon request delivered to your room. The marble bathrooms and comfortable bedding...beautiful. I loved the 3 sarongs hanging on the wall in our room.

We had breakfast at Morimoto's. Seriously, what a GORGEOUS foyer!
Then we enjoyed an afternoon at the salt water pool. So relaxing. My mom even brought our kids by so they could have some pool time. There is a long and wide first step into the pool that is about 3 inches deep and it was perfect for my 1.5 year old to splash around in. The pool staff was super friendly and brought us refreshing complimentary glasses of lemon water for all of us as soon as we found some lounge chairs.

I actually worked at the world famous Halekulani, but the Modern is more my style and I would rather stay here.
The Kamaaina rate is awesome and we will definitely make this a yearly tradition!

(it looks like my pictures are posting sideways....sorry!)

Nomad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Waikiki is full of the chain hotels that cater to the masses and offer mediocrity in bucket loads. The higher class properties offer an element of architectural charm as their point of difference but the room product is compromised with out dated facilities and space.
The Modern is the first hotel in Waikiki to provide a cool and modern product in an established destination.
The design is light, pared back and simple but without being austere, in fact it is very comfortable throughout.
The service is second to none. It's bright, enthusiastic and genuine. It is refreshing change from the robotic and over enthusiastic scripted service you receive at some of the restaurants in Waikiki.
Nothing is too much trouble and the attitude is nice and easy which is just what you need for a relaxing holiday.
We will certainly be back and recommending it to all of our friends.

Room Tip: Book the Ocean View. We didn't and regretted it. We went for the Partial Ocean View which offer...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TMHmgr, Rory C, Guest Experience Manager at The Modern Honolulu, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Aloha SamsonNIte,

Thank you for the great review! I understand that in Waikiki there are so many other hotels that offer an array of services combined with a great location in Waikiki that may make it difficult for visitors to choose the exact place that fits their needs, style and expectations. Your review embodies the very essence of the direction we’re heading in. I am so pleased that our boutique hotel will be your premiere place of relaxation and comfort when you come back to Honolulu. I insist that you let us know if there’s anything we can do to make your next stay even better than the first!

Mahalo nui, (Thank you very much)

Rory Cosma
Guest Experience Manager
THE MODERN HONOLULU
Caribbean
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Great hotel, well situated, perfect location, close to the harbour, where it is not so louded, you can walk to everywhere, and the hotel is great, roms ar comfortable, clean, modern style, and all the staff is very attentive, we uswd the spa, which is fantastic. We where is a romantic traveling and they did their best to pamper us, including an upgrade. Every night there is turn down service and they offer complimentary internet wifi and coffee every morning. Concierges are exceptional arranging tors and activitties. I work for hospitality, and I have loed tnis hotel. Great value for what you pay, it exceeded our expectations.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Our stay at the Modern Honolulu went beyond our expectations. The moment we drove up to the hotel, the valet already set the tone as to what to expect from the rest of the hotel staff and the hotel itself. Our room was beautiful with a view to die for. LOVED the bathroom's style.

Room Tip: Rooms on the other side of the elevators get to see a BEAUTIFUL sunset.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I've never left a review about anywhere in the world, but the Modern certainly deserves the effort. Everything was PERFECT - from the staff, to the room, to the pools, to the food, Wi-fi available in the rooms and all around the hotel. And I could go on. Such quick service in room, as well as at the bar or dining. The place is absolutely stunning, and I've definitely never stayed anywhere cleaner in all my travels. A perfect stay at a perfect place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Modern Honolulu? Share your experiences!