“Outstanding, but Labor Problems” 3 of 5 stars

Package Deal
Ranked #2 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lihue, Hawaii
“Outstanding, but Labor Problems”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I was helped with an early check in by perhaps the nicest front desk person in the world. But there were loud labor protests at the front of the Hotel and by the pool, with loudspeakers - loud in the room, for a long time. Seemed like good, but mad people. Kids and families out there protesting the owner's alleged refusal to give them an employment contract - but making them work "at will" instead. It was really passionate, and it made me uncomfortable as a paying guest. I felt bad for these people. I felt guilty. I sincerely hope that management can work together with labor. In every other respect, I give this hotel an A+, but what I saw made me give it a C-.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (787)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stephanie at Concierge is truly an amazing gift to this hotel. I would go back just to see her smiling face in the morning as we whisked ourselves down the quiet elevator for our second (or third) cup of complementary coffee, which was almost as good as her service. I've never met anyone as knowledgable and willing to go the extra mile for a guest. She counselled us on venues, best times, better food choices, best rentals, great locations, awesome getaways and not once did she miss the mark. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Modern again just because of her. Kathleen (or Katheryn?) at the front desk was also very nice. Although we were surprised by the extra change for a one-bed room, which wasn't clearly outlined on the reservation we made through a third party, we enjoyed our stay and would likely return, but we'd make sure that room-type was indicated on the booking if we booked online through another third-party site. Even if we didn't stay there, we'd hire Stephanie! She is a gem. The hottest night club is apparently in the building, but we didn't go - too many other things to do. We heard no noise from our floor. Our room was nice. Very modern and clean. I like the Modern as a hotel - but without Stephanie, we'd be inclined to drop this review by a star or two.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor if possible, for a nicer view. Be prepared to pay for one-bedded rooms as so...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Candy Land
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

fits my style. comfy beds, cool bathroom, small but empty gym and small but full pool. the pool I thought would be a let down but with all the people visiting it most are sun bathing. this may be the only pool I've ventured with the music being played under water. there'a another pool adult only one level up via stairs or elevator but not looking so fun and more for relaxing. about two feet deep max. the gym has up to date machines, dumbbells, aerobic balls, bands, water jugs, earphones, scented towels and free green apples. spent 30 minutes here without another visitor. the bathroom is spacious and the shower handles are opposite the stall from the spout. will be confusing at first but this must be the modern style. they hook you up with large bars of soap which held our three day stay easy and more towels then needed. the bed just perfect for my back that I barely got any TV time. closet safe and ironing board are some extras.

the BARS. visited three out of four and the pool bar makes the best drinks even though we did more time in the lobby bar. the Mai Tai at the pool bar was our fave. trying the regular and the decontructed Mai Tai I have to go with the regular. the frozen coconut mojito seeemed to be the popular drink here so went there also. just to many to claim I will try to see if they allow pics of all the fun cocktails in my review. Okay so pool bar best drinks, lobby bar was the most fun and dining at Morimoto's at the bar was also fun. so definitely a good hotel to find drinks and new friends.

the location is an easy walk to Ala Moana and nearby restaurants and the beach. the service was very friendly with us and never saw the maid service so don't know how they do that so discreet. saw little dogs on property so their allowed if you got a pooch. we will be back to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Agana, Mariana Islands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

The location of the hotel is perfect for my business trip in downtown Honolulu. Short distance to Ala Moana. Great food at pool bar. Great fitness center that opens 24 hours. Wifi throughout. iNeed feature is awesome, you can even lend an iPad. The iphone docking at the room is a plus, I got to listen to my favourite music. Spa, no warmth, although my masseuse is really good. Yea, the name of the hotel reflect the décor, but way too cold for my taste. It almost has no character. The spa should be relaxing but way too white. The staff are all awesome, impeccable service from reservation, check in, check out, just overall awesome.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

From the moment we arrived there was a positive vibe. We arrived at 7am in the morning and to our delight they were able to find us a room straight away. Very friendly and helpful staff, especially the staff on the concierge desk who were extremely helpful when organising activities to do on the island. The Modern is about a 20 minute walk from the heart of Waikiki which we liked, it was an easy and very pleasant walk. Being situated just out of Waikiki meant it wasn't as hectic and busy as we found some of the hotels we looked at in Waikiki, it was like coming home to a tranquil and peaceful oasis. Could not fault anything. Thank you for a wonderful holiday.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The staff were great, the location worked well for me, the facilities were very clean and well maintained, our room was ver comfortable - we were on the 15th floor with a partial sea view. I loved walking down to the beach - which was very close by!!

Room Tip: Higher floors closer to the ocean are less noisy. Restaurants are very exclusive and posh - expect...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

Awesome, friendly and helpful staff great coconut mojitos. Zazu was the bartender she helped creat the Irish mojito. Please stay here and check them out they made it a blast.

Very amazing group lets keep the good times rolling

• Stayed April 2013

Been to The Modern Honolulu? Share your experiences!