“Good stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Ottawa
“Good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed at the Modern for only one night (as it was our last night before we headed back to the frigid cold). I figured that since it was our last vacation day to splash out and get an ocean front one bedroom. I have to say that yes it was pricey…would I pay that price if I was staying more than a day (no) but I also ended up getting a deal on it so it was manageable. I was very happy with the hotel. Aside from the lack of help when we first got there (no one to take our suitcase up the stairs when we arrived) I would give the hotel a good rating. Like most of my reviews I like to always itemize Pros and Cons/things to note

Pros:
1.Room: the room we had was a good size but for the price we were paying you would expect it. Not sure how big the regular rooms are. It was nice to have a separate bedroom. Also it had a real beachy feel to it – very bright.

2.Cleanliness: the room was immaculate. When people say the room was clean…this room was clean. I am really picky and could not find fault with anything. Not one stray hair to speak of.

3.Room amenities: slippers! I love the slippers they give you in nice hotel rooms. The toiletries were great. The TV had great channels. We had two balconies to watch the sunset. The mini bar is expensive but we just bought alcohol at the mall and enjoyed it in on our balcony watching the sunset (in real wine glasses).

4.Balconies: did I mention them – so nice to have outdoor space.

5.Service: aside from the one blip everyone was super friendly and helpful (not cold at all). We had a late flight (thanks Air Canada) so even though we had to check out by 1 pm later on we could come back to their spa and use their shower facilities and change before heading to the airport.

6.Restaurant: ate at Morimotos and it was good (here’s a tip – even though they don’t have edamame on the menu if you ask for it they will bring you some). I didn’t find it too overpriced and the service was excellent. Cool place to go (though I would have thought that at this restaurant you would not see people wearing shorts and flip flops…very odd as there was a mix of well-dressed people with those who still have not gotten the memo that in Hawaii you don’t have to wear a Hawaiian shirt and flip flops)

Cons/things to note: it can be pricey; the city views didn’t look that great; the shower had no water pressure; the pool area is small (but still nice); and, the location is further from Waikiki but on the positive (which I liked) it was close to the Ala Moana Centre. For me I enjoyed it as it was the first time I got an ocean balcony view in Waikiki and no sounds of the infamous morning garbage trucks/delivery trucks to wreck my sleep.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

1,539 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Washignton, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed at the Modern for 6 nights in early September. The rooms are very clean, comfortable and had a modern decor. We had a partial ocean view room with a balcony facing the pool area, which we highly recommend. The pool area is very nice and the service very attentive and not at all pretentious. The hotel is located right across the marina, and is a 10-15 minute walk to Waikiki. This distance is perfect, as you're walking distance to the beach, restaurants and shopping, but removed just enough from the packaged tourist crowds. During the day, it's actually a nice walk along the beach in the mornings and during the sunsets. The hotel serves coffee in the lobby in the mornings. There's a convenience store located diagonally across from the hotel, and a public parking garage two blocks away that charges only $12 for 24hrs (the hotel valet was pricey). We didn't feel that this hotel was such a party place as we had read (maybe it was back in the day when it first opened) and didn't have any noise complaints. We thought about checking out the club downstairs but decided not to as the crowd we saw in line seemed pretty lame. We felt the staff was nice, helpful, and professional. The only thing that we can complain is that one morning we called them asking for utensils and they never delivered to us. But other than that, our stay was great and we highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

The Modern was exactly what we were after (& hard to find in Waikiki). It exceeded expectations.

Glamorous and Boutique- style, quieter end of the beach, relaxed atmosphere, great service and surrounds.

We could be as busy or relaxed as we wishes. Peaceful.

Two pools - one adults only (though there were few children at the hotel - it's not that kind if a venue).

Pool service attendants terrific - we never felt like a customer, more friendly! I must make particular mention of the concierges (Mark - wonderful in particular along with Stephanie when Mark was off-shift). This really made our stay so much better.

I'd recommend this hotel to any of my friends and plan to head back next December/January with a different group of friends.

The spa experience was amazing - a body polish and massage (sorry, I may have snored!). I think my therapist was Eddie (great again).

We stayed in an ocean view room, after being offered a well priced upgrade just before arrival. I'd request the same room again or book the one next door - with a balcony/lanai.

All in all - a wonderful trip and exactly what I needed.

Thanks Modern and staff!

• Stayed January 2013
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Spent 6 nights at The Modern Honolulu and was able to obtain a free upgrade to a Partial Ocean View room. Service from staff was consistent and good. First night I checked in I was greeted with a towel and a glass of lemonade, something I did not expect.

Ordered room service dining three times and quality was excellent, also visited Marimoto's, quality service and food as well.

Great view, close to the beach. There are two pools to choose from, the adult only one was a major plus as it was quiet compared to the one on the lower deck.

Housekeeping was top notch, room was clean, and additional items like body wash/shampoo were provided without asking.

Another major plus was that I bumped into Ludacris with his bodyguard in the elevator one day. He was headed up to his presidential suite.

Overall, amazing experience for someone who's visiting Honolulu the first time. Might pay another visit later this summer again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Honolulu, Hawaii
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We had a staycation right before I left for a long work trip and booked 2 nights at the Modern. The room was nicely appointed however, the staff service got the things we asked for but it wasn't the friendliest I've encountered. We also booked spa appointments that were so-so overall and totally not worth the price. The pool bar is typical of Waikiki prices ($12 mojitos) so we weren't too sticker shocked at our bill. You're probably better off getting a room at Halekulani or the Moana Surfrider for that price. Also, you'd think they'd have a bigger pool or even a jaccuzzi, but sad to say, this place is definitely lacking.

Room Tip: We were able to book a room for a special military price, but not sure if that promotion is always o...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

The Modern Honolulu is the kind of hotel where the manager greets you by the entrance with a bottle of ice cold water after you go on a morning run by the beach. The level of service is impeccable - from the bellmen, to front desk people, pool and spa staff, and all the other staff. It is super new and shiny and very well-maintained. What a pleasure!

The sunset view is incredible, and there aren't many people during the week. Bonus: there aren't many kids either, so it's a great adult getaway! The pool drinks are great, too. Another amazing detail that got me is that the salt water pool is open 24/7... I loved swimming under beautiful Hawaiian stars.

The hotel is a short walk from the Waikiki beach area, which we loved because it makes it more secluded and private, unlike noisy and super touristy hotels right on the beach.

Thank you The Modern for an amazing stay!

p.s. another bonuz is complimentary wi-fi!

Room Tip: Go for the partial Ocean view or Ocean view room (check for the Modern's special deals on Facebo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

Spent 3 nights at this amazing hotel. Great views, beautiful suite facing harbor and ocean. Loved the atmosphere-hip yet not too trendy. Great food both poolside and marimoto's. spa is very nice and great massages. staff is young and attentive. Loved the adults only pool on the upper deck. Beds very comfortable. Close to everything. Would highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Modern Honolulu? Share your experiences!