I stayed at the Modern for only one night (as it was our last night before we headed back to the frigid cold). I figured that since it was our last vacation day to splash out and get an ocean front one bedroom. I have to say that yes it was pricey…would I pay that price if I was staying more than a day (no) but I also ended up getting a deal on it so it was manageable. I was very happy with the hotel. Aside from the lack of help when we first got there (no one to take our suitcase up the stairs when we arrived) I would give the hotel a good rating. Like most of my reviews I like to always itemize Pros and Cons/things to note
1.Room: the room we had was a good size but for the price we were paying you would expect it. Not sure how big the regular rooms are. It was nice to have a separate bedroom. Also it had a real beachy feel to it – very bright.
2.Cleanliness: the room was immaculate. When people say the room was clean…this room was clean. I am really picky and could not find fault with anything. Not one stray hair to speak of.
3.Room amenities: slippers! I love the slippers they give you in nice hotel rooms. The toiletries were great. The TV had great channels. We had two balconies to watch the sunset. The mini bar is expensive but we just bought alcohol at the mall and enjoyed it in on our balcony watching the sunset (in real wine glasses).
4.Balconies: did I mention them – so nice to have outdoor space.
5.Service: aside from the one blip everyone was super friendly and helpful (not cold at all). We had a late flight (thanks Air Canada) so even though we had to check out by 1 pm later on we could come back to their spa and use their shower facilities and change before heading to the airport.
6.Restaurant: ate at Morimotos and it was good (here’s a tip – even though they don’t have edamame on the menu if you ask for it they will bring you some). I didn’t find it too overpriced and the service was excellent. Cool place to go (though I would have thought that at this restaurant you would not see people wearing shorts and flip flops…very odd as there was a mix of well-dressed people with those who still have not gotten the memo that in Hawaii you don’t have to wear a Hawaiian shirt and flip flops)
Cons/things to note: it can be pricey; the city views didn’t look that great; the shower had no water pressure; the pool area is small (but still nice); and, the location is further from Waikiki but on the positive (which I liked) it was close to the Ala Moana Centre. For me I enjoyed it as it was the first time I got an ocean balcony view in Waikiki and no sounds of the infamous morning garbage trucks/delivery trucks to wreck my sleep.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- THE MODERN HONOLULU introduces cosmopolitan chic for leisure and business pursuits in Hawaii. We deftly combine sexy and sophisticated in everything we do. Every element is original; authentic or custom-designed to enhance your experience. Gourmet pleasures, vibrant nightlife, intimate pool settings, exhilarating spa treatments and all that Oahu has to offer - luxury shopping, beaches, nature - blend to create a feeling of progressive luxury, as refined as it is relaxed. We invite you to make the most of every moment with us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, JackRabbit Systems, Orbitz, Tingo, Priceline, BookIt.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Amex, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your The Modern Honolulu reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Modern Honolulu Hotel Honolulu
- The Modern Honolulu Hawaii