“Fantastic service, average rooms” 4 of 5 stars

The Modern Honolulu
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1775 Ala Moana Boulevard, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
“Fantastic service, average rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

The Modern feels like a New York hotel plopped on the edge of Waikiki. They create a sophisticated mood in a sea of kitsch. The rooms seem like they belong to a very different hotel. This place excels due to the incredibly well trained staff. This includes the front desk, housekeeping and restaurants. It is a very comfortable place to hang out but don't expect ocean front views. If you have to stay in Waikiki, this is your hideaway.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I was a little concerned before arriving having read the feedback regarding noise and service.
However, I had a truely wonderful experience and was glad I selected this hotel.
Having spent 11 nights here over Christmas and New Year it was difficult to leave as I was very relaxed, comfortable and felt quite at home. A great way to end 2012.

Service was completely positive from reception to concerige, bar staff, valet, pool and spa staff. Staff were friendly, engaging, personable and helpful. It was my first time in Hawaii and travelling solo for part of my journey I was very appreciative of the personal insights, suggestions and recommendations of the staff. It was refreshing to get to see the individual personality of the staff - they were relaxed while professional.

The hotel is modern, ultra chic with beach styling. The design aspect alone is great from the reception desk with surfboards (very unique) to the Study book shelf to the pool areas and furniture. I loved my room (I was on the 15th floor with a partial sea view) which gave me a balcony with a view of the harbour and the beach. I was on the balcony everyday. TV also has all cable channels incase of rain and if you are done with shopping. Hotel is also located a 10 min walk to Ala Moana - in my opinion the best shopping centre in Honolulu.

The location is a 10 minute walk into the centre of Waikiki which can be accessed via the beach or on the street. However, the hotel is a good distance from the chaos of the beach strip. If you don't wish to walk you can take a bus or its a $10US taxi fare.

Recommend popping into "The Study" which is the bar and having a cocktail (or whatever else takes your fancy). This was my first espresso martini made with tequila - an experience.

Poolside is great and I particularly appreciated the option of the pool without children. For those with children the main pool accomodates for families. Great cocktails and food menu - recommend the Coconut Mojito or the Elderflower cocktail, and the tacos or spicy fries.

My only criticism was the cost of accomodation over the Christmas / New Year period - rates are significantly inflated than for other periods and cost of food and accomodation is higher than elsewhere. The other disappointment was that I missed President Obama - I was told he had dinner in the hotel during his recent stay.
Also, ran out of time to use hotel gym - which looked to be well equiped and with modern equipment or try the restaurant - next time I guess.

Room Tip: Worth getting the sea view - although this will cost you extra Fireworks on the friday evening at 7...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Barsebackshamn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We came for the Honolulu Marathon and didn´t know how good located The Modern was. We stayed in Ocean View room 13 nights. We have never have a better vacation and we travel a ‘lot. ALL staff was extreme kind and the sevicelevel were 5-star all the time. We took off before Mr. president show up so we missed him :-( . This is our first and only choice when we are coming back to Honolulu again. Yo MUST book it NOW!

Room Tip: Book partly Ocean veiw or Ocean veiw.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Hands down my favourite place to stay when in Hawaii - we had a beautiful room with modern furnishings and lots of natural light and we had a gorgeous view over the yacht club.

Fantastic friendly and helpful staff, cannot praise the concierge team enough. When we originally booked it was only for two nights and then we were going to move to another hotel due to availability but Reception staff worked some magic and managed to accommodate us for our entire stay at the same rate so we didn't have to change hotels or rooms.

Ala Moana mall is a quick walk away and easy access to the beach. The main Waikiki strip is further away though.

Didn't use the pool facilities but they were always crowded and looked like people were having fun when we walked by. Use the small gym nearly every day - it's not a complete gym but adequate for basic cardio and weights when on holiday.

Noticed lots of couples but don't recall seeing any kids.

Room Tip: Try to get one away from the pool area overlooking the yachts.
Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

The rooms were nice and you can't do better than Morimoto's for a great meal, but what made the stay was the service - nice people, who were always available, friendly and willing to help and answer questions. And it didn't matter what part of the hotel you were in - restaurant, lobby, spa - just the best people seem to work here! That's why I would come back! Location is great, too - just at the end of Waikiki and within walking distance to Ala Moana Center.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed at The Modern for 11 nights for our honeymoon in late October. Everything from the rooms to the lobby of the hotel was fantastic. All the staff were extremely friendly and we liked that they had casual yet tidy uniforms and seemed to one of us rather than a servant. The spa is great although a little overpriced. To be expected in a hotel. Being from New Zealand we are not used to gratuities and when they are automatically included in things like spa treatments, it puzzles me. How can it be a gratuity if you dont choose to give it? The pools were ok. The adults pool is more of a paddling pool - not deep enough for swimming but its nice all the same. Perfect spot to read your book under a palm tree. The main pool was a little small and disappointing but as we were expecting it to be like this, it wasnt an issue. The beach is a short walk from the hotel which makes up for it. The location of the hotel is great. Close to the large shopping centre and a short walk from Waikiki. Its nice to be away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki. We were on the 14th floor which a partial ocean view room. We had a good view of the ocean and the marina with the city behind us. We felt that the rooms were good value for money and the turn down service each evening is a nice touch. We only had breakfast and room service at the hotel and it was good. Quite expensive but again to be expected in a hotel. If you'd like a cheaper option for breakfast, the Wailana Coffee House is down the road and does a great eggs benedict. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Just as expected, I enjoyed my stay with The Modern over the Christmas/New Year period. A clean, spacious, modern and comfortable hotel located less than a 10 minute walk to Ala Moana mall. We stayed at the Ocean View room but found the Partial Ocean View room to be more suitable.

A special shout out to the Front Desk as they were very accomodating and very friendly.

The highlight of my stay was sitting a table in front of President Obama and the First Lady whilst we had dinner. However, the Secret Service prohibited me from taking any photos so I couldn't show you any of the restaurant as the food was fantastic.

I would recommend this hotel and would stay with them again but at low season where room prices would be lower.

Room Tip: Partial Ocean View has quite nice views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Modern Honolulu? Share your experiences!