“Not that good as expected but problem was resolved” 3 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1775 Ala Moana Boulevard, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Chiba-shi, Chiba, Japan
“Not that good as expected but problem was resolved”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My husband and me chose this hotel to stay at because of its nice pictures but we did not read concerning reviews which was a mistake. From the very beginning I did not like the place, because the lobby is too cold and dark to feel comfortable. Room was not available but to be honest we did not care about this that much because we were gonna take a historical trip to the Pearl Harbor Memorial. Anyway we had been waiting about 15 minutes for the second concierge coming and helping us to plan our trip while the first one was busy with another guests. We got a partial ocean view room as we booked but the room does not look that clean and new as it was at the pictures. There was a big oily stain on the carpet. One more surprising thing was soundproof between room and bathroom which is none! Bed sheets are changed once in a two days which is very questionable for the 5 stars hotel. Moreover, during the four days of our stay room cleaning stuff did not put any cotton pads and buds for us. The hotel stuff we communicated with were not rude but indifferent and definitely not friendly. Only one female person working at the pool area was polite and nice that level as it must be. Frankly, I cannot understand why the guest have to pay extras for the parking or room service at the hotel they stay at but I am not familiar to the American service, maybe, it is the same all around the US. Unfortunately the most disappointing thing about this place we realized coming back home. The hotel has charged us for three overnight parkings while we did parking only once. We did not checked our bill attentively at the time of check out because we have never experienced anything like that. After leaving a negative review the hotel's manager has contacted me and offered to solve the problem and refund all three night parking fees included that one we actually did plus some extra. It was a nice gesture and I would like to express my thanks personally to Mr. Barger who helped in this case. I cannot say I have totally changed my mind about the Modern but fortunately the manager's great job could improve my whole impression about the hotel from terrible to average. I wish I could give an excellent rate to this hotel some day.

1,592 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed here recently for 4 nights. Overall it was a good experience but we had a few things that kept it from being great.

First off and the biggest peeve was that the wi-fi is absolutely horrible and inconsistent. When we called to ask about the connection to see if it was down the response was that theirs was working fine.....Half the time we were not able to connect and when we did finally the connection was slow and timed out alot. This was using iPhones and iPads so not outdated equipment.

Secondly the staff at the front desk was not very helpful or friendly. We had booked our trip on Priceline which said for 1-King bed or 2-double beds. Confirm at check in. Well they gave us 2 double beds and when we went back to get the King, the girl at the desk made us feel like it was our fault because we booked on Priceline. On top of that she made it as it was a big favor that she found us a King room which we appreciated since we thought it was busy. Then we find out from another staff member that the hotel was only 40% occupany at the time......

Hotel was not entirely bad though. Decor was very sleek and modern and the food is great. Even the room service food was top notch.

A bit of a walk into the main area but not far by any means....maybe 15 mins walking. Our room had a city view which was a bit noisy with the club below and with street traffic but overall still not bad. Do request a higher floor if you're sensitive to noise when sleeping though!

Room Tip: city view is quite noisy
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We spent 3 nights at the Modern Honolulu and was perfect! I loved the design!
we had a problem in the first night because our room was in front of the elevator and since 5am we could listen the bell, so ask for room away from the elevator!
But when we complained about that, they immediately changed the room.
The staff (reception, pool, concierge, ...) very friendly.
The Fitness Center has good equipment, although not so many , but good amenities.
The best part of the hotel are the pools. During the sunset, there is live music and good drinks.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms in front of the elevators (the elevator's bell is noisy!)
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

As the title suggests, our arrival experience was fantastic, however it went down hill from there. We were greeted quickly from our taxi, our luggage was taken away and we were offered a welcome drink and cool towel. Such a wonderful start to the day. The check in process was smooth with a room being ready early for us despite checking in at 10am. This was greatly appreciated. The holding process on the credit card was explained, and the gentleman who served us was friendly enough. The gentleman who greeted us at the start was so lovely, wish I could recall his name. As we went to our room, we were told the bags would be sent up. We waited in the room for half an hour for our bags but gave up and went out, figuring they would be there upon our return. 3 hours later we get back and no bags. I call up and ask for them, with no apology or anything. The porter brings them up unaware of the issue so I told him. He was extremely apologetic and lovely however this would have been nice 3 hours ago. Thankfully we had only come from an inter island flight, anything longer I would have been furious. A three hour wait is unacceptable. As I've worked as a porter and now a receptionist for a large brand name hotel, this is a joke. Reception offered no apology, no call, note, complimentary anything. I'm not after anything free but the gesture makes all the difference. Upon check out I wasn't even asked how my stay was. Knowing the operating system used in hotels a trace or profile note should have been left to notify the receptionist upon check out about the incident the previous day. The hotels porters are fantastic, maybe they should be the receptionists instead, they seem far more friendly and competent.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed here in October for 4 nights for a wedding that was in Waikiki. Based on the reviews here, I requested a higher floor room to avoid some of the nightclub noise. So, they were able to give me a room on the 14th floor with a partial ocean view and I had no issues with noise. The room was great. Spacious, comfortable bed, clean, bright and a nice view.

The hotel has a great modern decor that's done right. I've been to some modern/hip places that have touches and finishes that just aren't practical or warm. But the place looked great. Staff were friendly and helpful. You can request a coffee maker for your room, which I recommend since while they serve coffee in the lobby, they are very prompt about closing it up. So if you're not a morning person and not prompt, save yourself the trip downstairs and have them bring you a machine. There are 2 pools...an adult pool which is more of a wading pool and main pool, both are gorgeous. Because I wanted to swim, I spent most of my time at the main pool. I highly recommend the coconut mojito...they're fabulous! Unfortunately, service at the pool is lacking and I found myself going to the bar to grab cocktails because I was tired of waiting.

Location is great. Ala Moana shopping is about 15 min walk one direction and the main area of Waikiki is about 15 min the other way. And an ABC store is across the street. So while you're not in the middle of the main shopping everything is close enough.

While I was there, we didn't visit the club, but did hit the lobby bar on Saturday and Sunday night. Good crowd, seemed more interesting than a tourist hotel bar.

Also we were lucky enough to have lunch at Morimoto's. Amazing! It's definitely worth the splurge. And if you only have one meal to splurge on, go to Morimoto's over Alan Wong.

So the Modern is a definite find and I would highly recommend it to anyone coming to Waikiki.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I was at the Modern Honolulu 4 nights and everything was excelent. The design is beautiful and entier saff was friendly and helpful.
In my next trip to Honolulu, definitely I will stay in The Modern Honolulu.
I didn´t like when we ordered at the pool and the staff brought me the check even I hadn´t requested.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Spent 4 nights at the Modern and loved it. First impressions were really good - we arrived about 8am after a flight from Australia. There was not a room ready immediately but the front desk agent advised she would have one ready by 11am. They whisked away all our luggage and we went for a wander to get some breakfast.

Came back at 10:15 exhausted and wanting a shower and they were able to get us straight in a room - much appreciated. Our room was on the 12th floor and was very bright and spacious. We had a king bed, day lounge and a balcony overlooking the Marina. The room was comfortable, clean and even the bathroom was a decent size. The only negative from the room was the noise. Even on the 12th floor, there was a substantial amount of traffic noise - much more than usual for a room up so high. I suspect the rooms were not soundproofed much, if at all. This generally did not bother us too much, however light sleepers may find themselves waking to all sorts of noise. (The housekeepers calling down the hallways at 8am onwards did not help this either..)

We had a breakfast package included and chose to have this poolside each morning. This was a beautiful setting and we really enjoyed this each morning. My only frustration with the breakfast package is that it is not the full menu - we were provided with a menu card on check in for either poolside or Morimotos and only had 4 options for each. There was only 1 item on each card suitable for vegetarians. While 1 or 2 servers were flexible and offered to interchange items, others did not and it left me with very little to choose from. I am not sure why they do not allow you to choose from the full menu.. This was rather disappointing and did make me think twice about whether we would stay again.

The pool area (sunrise pool) was lovely and we really enjoyed spending time by the pool. The service was generally very good and the cocktails were delish (frozen coconut mojito - yum!) We only spent a short time at the adults only sunset pool. As this pool is only a wading pool, it is not really ideal for swimming. Nice for relaxing next to though.

The location of the hotel was ideal for us. It took approximately 5 minutes to walk to Ala Moana shopping centre which had great shopping and also a few restaurant options and the foodcourt downstairs. To walk to Waikiki centre took about 20 minutes or 15 if walking quickly. We found walking along the beach to the Hale Koa (Military hotel) and then through the streets was the nicest way. It was by a quiet stretch of beach, occupied only by guests at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Much better than further down near the Sheraton or Royal Hawaiian where the beach was absolutely packed. We ate dinner one night at the Cheesecake Factory which was well worth the wait. We anticipated about a 1 hour wait and this was about right. The food & service was great, cocktails amazing and cheesecake incredible. A must for Honolulu.

We also did a Pearl Harbour tour with Enoa tours and I highly recommend. Our tour included pick up from our hotel, a guide who gave us an informative background prior to arriving at the memorial, time to take in the information prior to the short film and boat to USS Arizona. We did not have any waits along the way, which I expect you would if you were arriving on your own. I highly recommend doing this with Enoa - our guide Bambi was wonderful.

I highly recommend the Modern and will definitely choose to stay there again when we return to Waikiki.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Modern Honolulu? Share your experiences!