“An overall wonderful stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Suite Deal w/ $200 Credit
Ranked #2 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
london
“An overall wonderful stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

The staff were instantly very accommodating, the first room we were given was small and unfortunately a restaurant opposite was having renovation so the view wasn't what we had imagined but when we asked for a different room the staff were quick to accommodate with no more than a 15 minute wait which was very impressive, the new room had a great poolside view and was much larger, as a couple looking to escape a bust city lifestyle we did not realise Hawaii was such a family holiday destination, apparently the modern used to have a no children policy which had recently changed, it was nice that they did have an adult pool, unfortunately parents had not adopted this which was a little annoying but no fault of the hotels. Smokers beware Hawaii is generally a non smoker friendly zone, there was a dedicated smoking area which was no actually on the hotel and consisted of about 1 sq metre in between an adjacent hotel, in which even there we were told we were bothering their residents sitting outside, all for eco friendly but it wasnt nice to feel like an outcast. There were also no smoking rooms, I suppose had we researched more thoroughly we would have realised this before booking but in this day and age I suppose we hadn't thought of this a problem.
Concierge very knowledgeable and helpful, nothing was too much. All in all maybe not ideal for our requirements but a great hotel and stay non the less.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

1,534 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I could not believe it when my wonderful wife handed me plane tickets to Hawaii for my Birthday. I thought things couldn’t get any better but then we arrived at the Modern. It was truly the best week of my life. I have travelled the world and stayed in some beautiful hotels but the Modern certainly is my favourite. Top Class. A top tip however is to pop across the road to the Harbor Pub for a beer and say hello to Chrissy. You will probably find the staff of the hotel drinking in there also as the prices are good. So good I had 8 pints, two bottles of Corona and a sore head in the morning!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

I live on Oahu but decided to stay at The Modern during a recent conference. I'm so glad I did! From the moment I walked into the bright lobby (great Hawaiiana on the bookshelves) I knew it was special. The rooms are modern,clean yet feel "homey" - not an easy feat. Love the beachy touches. But the real test was how The Modern could handle a professional conference. In a word: flawlessly!!! The banquet staff and food were exceptional and the conference rooms perfect for our group. And I can't say enough about the AV staff - the BEST I have ever seen (I speak at conferences all over the world so I know how AV can make or break a meeting.). LOVE The Modern! I want to come back for vacation :)

• Stayed November 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Modern Honolulu as we had previously planned to stay at another hotel, but that hotel was fully booked. I am happy this happened, we were able to discover another fantastic hotel in Waikiki! First off I will say that this is not a budget hotel, it has fantastic views of the ocean and the city, it has great service and lovely rooms, and the price reflects this. There was a deal on a travel website for a reduced price, and we took it based on the write up which looked good to us.

When you arrive at the hotel, the bell staff are with you right away to tend to your luggage, and when we arrived well before check in they were happy to store our luggage until later that day. The reception was warm, the interior of the lobby is very sleek and modern, and behind the reception desk there is a display of broken surfboards which was very well put together and definitely eye catching.

The room was spotless, it had a lovely layout and was unlike any other hotel I have been in. They really do maximise the space to make it feel bigger than it really is. Even though we had a partial ocean view, the angle of the hotel still affords you a fantastic vista of Waikiki beach, and all the exciting going ons of the local area. The room had a huge flat screen TV in it, user controllable AC, and a Lanai to enjoy the warm night air. We got food at one of the local restaurants, and took it back to the hotel room to enjoy whilst watching the flow of traffic and people way below on the street. The room view is great for those with an interest in aviation as you get a very good view of traffic on finals to Honolulu Airport. The room is also very quiet at night and none of the sound from outside bothered us when we were sleeping.

My only regret is that we had but one night to enjoy the hotel, as we left very early the next morning (4:45am) and could not explore the other amenities such as the pool and bar. This hotel is also pet friendly, which is rare in Waikiki so if you are travelling with pets this is a possible consideration for you.

I would definitely recommend this hotel, and I hope my review and photos do it justice. Mahalo Modern Honolulu, we'll be back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, front desk people were wonderful. The rooms are attractive and great place to relax. Would love to give this 5 stars but we found it was a young peoples hotel. Pool loungers, room beds and seating are all very low, we coped ok with it, (we were celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary, but if you have any knee or hip problems you probably should go somewhere else. That aside we really enjoyed our stay. Its in a great location, by the marina, about 10 minutes walk from Ala Moana shopping centre and the buses and trolley buses stop around the corner. Several restaurants and cafes, convenience store and MacDonalds are 1 minute from the entrance.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the water front have less traffic noise, we stayed in 2 different rooms loved them b...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Stratford Upon Avon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

This was a great find by my husband! Not only is the hotel clean, fresh and modern the staff are also lovely! We stayed here for our honeymoon (not to say thats why everyone was lovely - everyone gets special treatment) at the beginning of our Hawaii trip and the last night as its so nice.
Two gorgeous pools and you feel like a princess being waited on hand and foot! They make very good piña colada's (even better with sailor jerry rum!)
Rooms are quirky and just all fresh looking and lovely.
The restaurant attached is superb although pricey amazing dumpling with bacon foam - I would eat there again just for that!
The only thing I would say is they should offer complimentary tea when they offer the coffee in the morning although my husband loved the coffee I had to buy my own tea... But I think that's pretty standard here.
Location is brilliant. I just live this hotel and definitely recommend it!
Spa is also amazing!

• Stayed October 2012
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

If you're looking for a luxury hotel, that's different to the chain hotels, this is a cool, boutique, modern and luxurious hotel. Rooms are spacious, beds really comfortable, choice of two pools with great views for sunset, and the staff were really accommodating yet not totally suffocating.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Modern Honolulu? Share your experiences!