“Stylishly modern, very comfortable, & just plain nice” 5 of 5 stars

Package Deal
Ranked #2 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Stylishly modern, very comfortable, & just plain nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Our 6-night stay 14-21 Apr:
I'll start with the fact that I've been to Honolulu, as well greater Oahu and all of the outer islands, many times. Having stayed in and seen many kinds of hotels and accommodations, including both of the venerable old Waikiki classics, I have to say The Modern Honolulu is my favorite. I acknowledge that, while it is not located on the central beach or in the middle of the Waikiki action--it's on the Ala Wai yacht harbor--it is close enough to walk to everything, including Ala Moana Beach Park & Magic Island, the Ala Moana Shopping Center, and central Waikiki. The hotel's location is a plus for me; it is quieter and easier to navigate by car than its counterparts in the middle of Waikiki.
The hotel itself: beautifully and whimsically modern. The room is generously sized, with a king bed and a day bed and plenty of room to walk around and to stow belongings. The bed, linens, and towels are plush and comfortable. The bathroom is sleek and modern with an outstanding glass-and-tile shower. Additionally, toiletries & amenities are plentiful and high quality. The balcony is large and bowed, affording views in multiple directions--and, no, I did not have a full ocean or harbor view. Nonetheless, it was a sensational view and a great place to linger for a few moments when I wasn't busy doing all of the other fun things that Oahu offers.
The room was exceptionally clean and included all the essentials--a fridge, which can be stocked as a mini-bar if desired, a safe, an iron & board, free Wi-Fi, and plenty of outlets for plugging in and recharging electronic gadgets.
The pools are elegant and visually stunning and great places to relax and just hang out. The poolside attendants are just that: attentive. I felt pampered in the little bits of time I spent there.
The staff, from the front desk staff, to the attendant who brought ice to the room upon request, to the housekeeping staff could not have been more pleasant or more attuned to fine and unobtrusive service!
My stay and experience at The Modern, from service to accommodations, was very similar to a higher-end cruise I recently took. I was very positively impressed. I would definitely stay at The Modern again!
By the way, I shop carefully for good deals when I travel, and I got a good deal here.

Room Tip: I called ahead and politely requested an upgrade to the best room possible for the category I had bo...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (789)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

The modern is a beautiful hotel with friendly staff and a great pool. It is located very close to the beach and a beautiful lagoon is located next door which is fantastic.
The decor is modern and clean and our room was fantastic. We were treated well from check in to check out. My friend and I are looking forward to our next stay. The Modern is located a fair walk from main stirp and shops but we didnt mind.

Room Tip: We had the Part ocean view room which gave you a little view of the marina. Try and upgrade to ocean...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

Loved the trendiness of the hotel: a bookshelf in the lobby moves in the evening to uncover a bar, great pool (too bad we only had 2 nights on Oahu!), and very hip rooms (you can even plug in your I-phone in their speakers dock in your room!). Service was excellent. We were particularly impressed by the concierge, who not only helped us with planning our tour of East Oahu for the next day, but printed and delivered to our room a full package with directions, maps, and recommendations on what to do (both attractions and restaurants on the way).

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012 via mobile

We got this hotel on Priceline and I was a little skeptical about how nice it would be after reading mixed reviews. It turned out to be perfect! I was attending a conference so the location was great because I could walk. There were a lot of nice little perks that I didn't expect like turn down maid service and complimentary coffee at the coffee bar in the morning. The maid cleaned our room and then refreshed everything in the evening. The staff at the pool and bars were so nice and helpful. Gabrielle at the front desk was great too, she helped get us switched to a room that was further away from the club. That was my only complaint - rooms on the third floor above the club should be for deaf people and 20 something partiers who won't be on bed before 3 am anyway.

• Stayed May 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

I really liked this hotel and would have given it 5 stars if not for how noisy it was. Part of the problem is that I had a corner room facing the street. If at all possible get a room in the back, overlooking the yacht club. I loved the all white decor, it was soothing and the lobby was really comfortable with private nooks to sit and enjoy a drink. I also loved the fact that they have 2 pools, and 1 is adult only. That was great. They also have a cool outside bar. The staff and valets are very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room away from the busy street, otherwise you will need earplugs to sleep with...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed in an Ocean View Suite and it was money well spent. The room was lovely and clean and the facilities were excellent. From previous reviews I was a little worried about noise however didn't experience any problems during our 6 day stay. The pool was a great place to relax during the day, and the bar was the perfect place to have a few drinks in the evening. We loved the live music at the poolside bar - the singers were fantastic. Initially we were a little concerned about the location however the hotel turned out to be relatlively central. The Ala Moana Shopping Centre is a five minute walk down the road and although its a 15 minute walk to the heart of Waikiki, its an enjoyable one. There is also good access to the Hilton lagoon. We would definately recommend dining at Morimoto - a Japanese restaurant located in the Modern. Some of the best Japanese food we have had in a while. Also, the Lobby Bar is a great place to have a few drinks on a Saturday night. During our stay, we also spent a few days at the Sheraton Waikiki. In comparison, the Sheraton is definately more of a family resort, whereas the Modern is a funky hotel, that is less chaotic. If you are looking for a hotel that is young, fun and trendy we definately recommend the Modern Honululu.

california
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

We flew to Honolulu without any hotel reservations. We took a taxi from airport and directly went to Hotel Modern to see the rooms.
Hotel employees were very nice and welcoming. They showed us a standart ocean view room, dont expect to get full ocean view because basicly you will be looking at next hotel and some water view.
For us the room view, one of the most important things since our house has a beautiful view, our expectations are high. So we didnt like the view and we decided to look at a suite room with full ocean and harbour view. Suite room was looking at the pool and harbor/ ocean but the harbor in front of the hotel wasnt a nice harbor to look at, mostly old boats, nothing special.
Rooms are designed modern, more like an ikea store.
Hotel has 16 floors, it is not on the beach and there is no direct access the beach. Looks like you need to walk to next hotel which was a Hilton to get to the beach. It is not far maybe few min walk.
It has two different pools one for adults ,other one for kids . Those two pools seems to be seperate from each other. Hotel is located kind of beginning of the waikii beach, you should be able to walk to restaurants and shops.
I would recommend this hotel to younger couples.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Modern Honolulu? Share your experiences!