“Attentive instructors, perfect for beginners” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ty Gurney Surf School

Ty Gurney Surf School
The Imperial of Waikiki Resort, C-8, 205 Lewers Street, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)
808-271-9557
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 355 Activities in Honolulu
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: The Ty Gurney Surf School specializes in luxury private surf instruction on the island of Oahu. We customize our surf lessons to each individual, ensuring that students of all levels maximize their surfing experience on the best waves in the world. Our expert instruction guarantees all students will be surfing on their very first lesson!
“Attentive instructors, perfect for beginners”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

My girl friend and I, who were both beginners took a private lesson (one instructor each) with Ty Gurney and had a great experience. A few days earlier, we took a group lesson at HH Surf School and found it was difficult to learn in a group setting and one of our instructors was actually quite rude. I told Duncan at Ty Gurney about our experience and he recommended us to get one instructor each. It was more expensive, but well worth it. Given the long paddle out to the swells, the instructor tolled us out at the beginning of the lesson (till we are comfortable) and focused on helping us to get up first. By the end of the lesson, we both managed to stand up a few times, which was our objective and walked away the lesson very satisfied. If your objective is to really learn surfing, from a beginner's standpoint, I highly recommend Gy.

New York City, New York
“Great surfing school”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

My 16-year-old daughter surfed for the first time-- with Ty himself and then with Joey. She raved about the instruction she got (and rated it much better than a group surf lesson she took on the North Shore). Very friendly outfit. Thank you!

Visited January 2014
“Would have done it everyday!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

We went to this class on our first day to Honolulu!!! Wow! Just amazing! We both had our own instructor- had excellent teaching plus they help you to go back over the waves (towing) so you can practice more!!! It was a super cool expérience and so much laugh And fun!!! I strongly recommend it to everyone!! Make sure you take the video- sooooo worth it!!! We watched it over And over again!

Visited September 2013
12 attraction reviews
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Our family of 4 did a 1 hour surfing lesson on Christmas Day. Our instructors were Ryan, Katie and Joey. After a quick run through on how to get up on the surf boards we were being towed out to catch our first wave.

Our kids (age 7 and 9) were up and surfing within minutes. Joey was particularly patient with our youngest who was a bit nervous being out in the deeper water - and had him up on his board in no time.

The adults in our family were surprised at actually being able to get up on the board and catch a few waves ourselves.

2 of us returned for another lesson a few days later with Tim & Zac; this time having to travel further out to catch the waves.

A highlight of our holiday, and a great way to spend Christmas Day. Looking forward to seeing the video highlights of our lessons.

Thanks

Visited December 2013
Surrey, Canada
“Incredible experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Just got back from Waikiki and surfed with TG for the first time. I had perviously surfed with another school but they stopped doing board rentals. I went to TG to get a lesson to try and improve my surfing and was lucky enough to get Joey. He was so friendly, encouraging and taught me a lot. For the rest of my trip I rented a board through TG. They were so great. Duncan in the office was extremely helpful and friendly. I watched him take the time to talk to a girl who was looking to do a trip around the island. He pulled up a map on google to show her the route to take and even told her to call him if she had any questions or problems while she was driving. Duncan and the instructors are so friendly and helpful, they really make you feel like you are part of their family. Thanks guys, I look forward to seeing you on my next trip in the spring! Mahalo Marla

Visited December 2013