“Taught My Kids and Husband to Surf and Gave me a Priceless Video” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ty Gurney Surf School

Ty Gurney Surf School
The Imperial of Waikiki Resort, C-8, 205 Lewers Street, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)
808-271-9557
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 281 activities in Honolulu
Type: Water sports
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The Ty Gurney Surf School specializes in luxury private surf instruction on the island of Oahu. We customize our surf lessons to each individual, ensuring that students of all levels maximize their surfing experience on the best waves in the world. Our expert instruction guarantees all students will be surfing on their very first lesson!
Mamaroneck, New York
4 attraction reviews
“Taught My Kids and Husband to Surf and Gave me a Priceless Video”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

These guys are terrific -- and they've turned my kids (10 and 12) and husband into surf lovers. No doubt about it, the surf lesson with Ty Gurney was one of the highlights of our trip. The teachers were attentive, encouraging and successful at getting my whole family surfing. The photographer who went along made a DVD which proves it -- the shots are great. (Yes, spring for the DVD. It's priceless, truly, and had me in happy tears when I saw it.) When my family talks about returning to Hawaii someday, the #1 thing they want to do is more surfing on Waikiki beach with Ty Gurney. (Incidentally, we tried another surf school, later in the vacation, in Kona. They were not nearly as attentive and really were catting with some friends who came out with them instead of focusing on our kids -- and there was a current.) Just book early, because you'll want to go out with these guys more than once!

Visited March 2013
TGSS808, General Manager at Ty Gurney Surf School, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Kelly,

Super stoked we got the family hooked on surfing! That is the most rewarding part of our business. We can't thank you and your family enough for taking the time during your vacation to spend it with us out on the waves of Waikiki. Also, James is happy to know that you enjoyed your documented surfing experience with one of his awesome HD family surf videos. We all look forward to having you back out with again one day! Have a great summer and mahalo!

Duncan

“This Surfing School Absolutely Rocks, esp with Kids!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My 2 daughters (age 11 and age 9) and myself booked a 1 hour private lesson with Ty and his team. It was no doubt the absolute highlight of the trip to Hawaii. You have to take your lessons with this school! The break (Pops, I believe it's called) is perfect and uncrowded. They take great care of you, and my daughters were surfing 200 yard waves, giving me the "hang loose sign" from the get-go. I own a tourism business in San Fran, so I understand the need for exceptional customer service, and they go above and beyond. If you have kids, you gotta use this school. We were led by Ty, Jack, and Paul (I think, sorry). Jack - who learned to surf near Long Island - was new and worked with me and absolutely crushed it. Please keep him around. Duncan is awesome at the front desk. Need I say more?

Visited April 2013
Bryan,

Thank you very much for such a positive response to your families surfing experience with us. I wish we could have squeezed you in for that last lesson! Ty, Jack, and Paul were so stoked at the shout out. You will be happy to know that Jack is continuing to work hard to maintain our standard for all our instructors. We really take pride in the fact that believe that we are the best school around! Next time I am in SF (May 17th) I would enjoy checking out one of your famous movie tour excursions!
Danville, California
“The Cadillac of Surfing Schools!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

My two boys (11,13) and I (54) had a fantastic surfing experience with Ty and his staff! They were super patient and a lot a fun to be with. All three of us (first-timers) got up on our boards quickly and enjoyed two hours of one-on-one lessons with Ty, CJ, and Chris.

Besides the great people, I liked the fact that they get you right out on the water--no wasted beach time.

Highly recommended. Go for the two hour session if you can.

Visited March 2013
Doug! Thanks for the review. Ty, CJ, and Lil Chris were stoked to see you gave them a shout. We take pride in all our lessons and try to maximize everyone's time out in the surf! Come back and see us soon!

Mahalo,
Vancouver Island, Canada
“Excellent experience for young teens!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Surfing was the one thing I told my 14 year old daughter I would not do so in Hawaii, so I was planning to put her some group lessons. So glad we ended up going with private lessons at Ty Gurney. What I realize now is surfing is both an endurance and technical sport so one on one allows the instructor to physically help, from pushing you on to a wave or towing you out as well as giving you the technical know-how. She had an excellent experience catching on very quickly. We decided to do a second private and worked out a package that worked both for my daughter and my pocket book. I thought the staff really wanted my daughter to have a good experience, doing some extras that only a small business has the flexibility of doing. We then came back and used one of their boards another day, and although she was surfing on her own, she surfed in the same area as the instructors giving lessons, so I felt she was not totally alone out there, but rather with a community of surfers. The staff were all very friendly and supportive. For a young teen, this is really the way to go. Highly recommended!

Visited March 2013
Many mahalos for taking the time to write about you and your daughter's experience here with us at Ty Gurney Surf School! Hope she caught the "surfing bug" and continues to take any opportunity she might have to paddle out.

Philadelphia, PA
“Amazing time even in the rain!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

What an awesome experience! The day we were scheduled to surf it was pouring rain, but Ty and James still took us out, had an amazingly positive attitude, and got us both up surfing very quickly. They were incredibly patient and an absolute blast to be with. We want to go back to Waikiki just to surf with them again! We also love the pictures that James got of us! Can't recommend them highly enough to anyone looking for a fun surfing time in Oahu!

Rachel,

Thank you for coming out to surf with us over Spring Break. I was happy you mentioned that regardless of the rain you can still go out and have an amazing time surfing! James, with 83East Productions, also wanted to say aloha and is stoked that you enjoyed your surf session pictures! Have a great summer!