“Sunset cruise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waikiki Rigger

Waikiki Rigger
2161 Kalia Road, Between the Waikiki Shore and the Halekulani Hotel, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Formerly Outrigger Catamaran) (Waikiki)
(808) 922-2210
Apopka, FL
6 attraction reviews
“Sunset cruise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

This was a fantastic way to end our visit with family who came from the mainland. We had calm waters and beautiful views. Two sea turtle had been hanging by close to the catamaran before we even put out to sea. The staff were friendly and funny. And we had free drinks of their specialty cocktail, the outrigger. I think we earned back what we paid for the tickets by how much we drank.
It's a party atmosphere with drinks, music and the breathtaking view.

7 attraction reviews
“Turtles!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

This is the second time we've been on the morning snorkel tour and both times were incredible.

Within minutes of getting in the water, we had turtles swimming near us. We had plenty of time to take photos of these awesome animals.

Our crew were pleasant, laid back and helpful.

We had booked online a few weeks before our tour so of course had no idea what the weather would be like. On our original booking date it was too choppy to go out but we were offered either a refund or change of date. I'm so glad we picked the change of date.

Suisun City
12 attraction reviews
“Ineptitude”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I signed up for a catamaran sunset ride for 2 on the Waikiki Rigger in the lobby of the Outrigger Reef on the Beach hotel in Waikiki. We signed up and paid for the cruise 3 days prior to the sail date & time.

I checked our reservations twice on both the day of and day before the sunset cruise and the staff at the booth said we were set and everything was good to go.

Upon showing up at the boat, our names plus another couple's were not on their passenger manifest. There is only room for exactly no more than 40 people and we were denied sailing because the boat was full and our names were not on the list.

Later, I discovered that the hotel staff I booked with aren't even Outrigger Hotel employees, they're Expedia.com employees and Outrigger just rents them booth space in their hotel.

One of the catamaran boat staff that looked at our boarding pass says this type of booking error happens all of the time because the boat owner refuses to computerize and automate their booking process. I'm sorry, but this practice is totally unacceptable.

I was very upset and very let down that we saw this boat sail away without us on it.

I went back to the Outrigger Activities Counter (Expedia.com people) and thoroughly complained and demanded compensation for their ineptitude and ruining a half day of my vacation.

The Expedia staff was actually very receptive and empathized with our dilemma. So of course they refunded our $80 for the sail but for our troubles, they booked us for a complimentary dinner cruise on the NAVATEK1 sailing ship the following night which was a $213 value.

I'm sure the sunset catamaran ride should be rated more like a 3 or 4 star rating, but with an inept reservation system I think they deserve a big fat 1 star.

After doing the sunset dinner cruise on the NAVATEK1 3-story sailing ship, I'm actually glad the catamaran sail turned out as such a let down.

Even though we didn't sail on the catamaran, here are some tips if you choose to chance your luck.

1. Book your reservation between the hours of 9:00 am thru 5:00 pm to ensure their telephone booking system takes place during normal boat reservation business hours.

2. The boat seats exactly 40 tourists of which about 30 of them sit cramped and bent over on the forward trapeze. If you get in the back of the boarding line, the last 10 people or so get to sit in fiberglass bench seats with a backrest.

After witnessing the entire sunset sailing options, even though three times more expensive, the sunset dinner cruise is a much better value and experience. Make sure you book on the NAVATEK1 ship and not the Star of Honolulu.

Austin, Texas
4 attraction reviews
“Sunset sail: Not worth the time and money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Not sure why there are so many great reviews for this. We booked the sunset sail after seeing good reviews on Tripadvisor and realized that it was a mistake ( and most of the people on our boat seemed to have made the same mistake). The checkin time was at 5PM but we were made to wait till 5:45PM (as if they did not even care about the sunset. Not sure why they called it sunset sail). There were two crew members for a group of 40 (including the captain. Sorry did not catch their names) and they definitely seemed as if they did not like the people on their boat. And the guy clearly said that the safety instructions were not important and totally skipped them. But his main announcements were about the next day sails, the tip jar and the $5 souvenir container. The guy even yelled at couple of people to be quiet during his "important" announcements. The sail was really lame and don't bother about having their special cocktail (it's just some sweetened punch). Most people switched to beer or wine just after one drink. We went towards Diamond Head for 30 mins and then back. Definitely not worth the time and money

Visited May 2013
Cardiff-by-the-Sea, California, United States
3 attraction reviews
“Great boat, music, and crew!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We did a snorkeling and sailing package that we found on livingsocial.com and it was so worth the money!

First we were taken to the Turtle cleaning station just off of waikiki. It was a bit crowded with tourons with their pool noodles but we just hoped in the water and swam further away than the tourists were willing to venture. It was a really cool snorkeling spot!

Then we took sail while drinks were offered (for a fee) and great music boomed on board. The captain certainly knew how to sail that sail we did, none of that motoring around with the sails down nonsense.

I visit the island very often to see my family here and usually stick to SCUBA diving and less touristy locations, but I've got to say I was impressed. I was worth the crazy parking and crowds of Waikiki for this one.

Visited May 2013