“Wonderful Anniversary” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Houston
“Wonderful Anniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Of course we had to come back to Hawaii but instead of staying at the Royal Hawaiian we decided to give this place a try based on its reviews. We were definitely not disappointed. The staff is outstanding and professional. The room OH MY GOODNESS THE ROOM is sooo spacious! The balcony has a huge view! We were able to see the ocean as well as the mountains. Most "ocean views" have a small balcony this was not the case. It was one of the best views we've ever seen. The a la carte breakfast is delicious (eggs benedict) Housekeeping is without a doubt the best I’ve seen and the friendliest. My mistake was not reading that they charge $30 a day for valet but it was convenient so we didn’t mind. ALSO they charge $100 a day but credit you back at the end of your stay. I do not remember why they do this since my husband was the one who checked us in. Just be aware of this charge since we weren’t expecting it at all. The gym was nice I just would rather see the ocean or the city rather than a wall. It is conveniently located near a lot of restaurants and shops. Be sure to check out their restaurant downstairs called BLT Steak, it is a little pricey but well worth it. We had dinner there and it was superb. Listen to the reviews and stay here. You will not regret it. I also have to mention how deliciously comfortable the bed and pillows were.

Room Tip: Get the ocean view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband and I spent seven days there in May. From the moment you arrive until the moment you leave everyone is welcoming and helpful. As noted in other reviews, you check in on the sixth floor. A girl brings you cold towels and infused ice water. The desk clerks are efficient and your check-in goes smoothly. We had a two bedroom, two bath suite on the 21st floor. The view was lovely. You could see the ocean, Ft DeRussy park and the mountains. The room was spacious and had a fabulous kitchen which I wished I could have transported home. We only used the refrigerator for snacks, but if a person wanted to cook, just everything is there. There is a wonderful ABC store close that has all of the essentials. The only way I could fault this hotel is the fact that we wanted to make future reservations and the desk clerk was vague, and unwilling to give our travel agent credit for the reservations. We are now in the process of working these out, but it would have been much easier when we were there. All in all, this is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at. I am a former resident of Hawaii and am familiar with all of the hotels, and this one has it all.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Saratoga Road are best. Try to get as high as possible over the 15th floor.
Cary, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Everything about this place is what you would expect from a high end property. Outstanding service, amenities, and location. Everyone there was exceptionally nice and helpful. There is a reason this is the #1 hotel in Honolulu. You won't be disappointed.

Cromwell, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Had an opportunity to visit my son and grandaughters who live on Oahu in early May 2013.

We had spent some time last August at Trump and decided to stay there again for 5 nights and then next 4 nights at the Kahala Resort.

I love staying at Trump Waikiki. It is a unique property. The people who work there are always friendly and make you feel like you belong there. Although not on the water, it is a a short block away and in the heart of the Beach Walk area. We had a car and it was relatively easy (to get around the island) and back to hotel as compared to the more traffic congested central hotel area.

We did use the pool more than our stay last time. Although small it was never crowded and with plenty of shade to sit it was an opportunity to read books and newspapers, take a dip, absorb the sights and sounds of the area from the sixth floor pool area.

While at the Kahala I did miss the convenience of the Trump location to just walk outside and get anything you wanted easily....ABC store, gelato, restaurants, people watching.

One area which the Kahala won hands down was its breakfast buffet. The food quality, presentation, and service were definitely a notch above Trump.

When we go back to Hawaii, I look forward to a third stay at Trump Waikiki!

Room Tip: Work with Jet Luxury to save some significant dollars and use to upgrade to larger room view.
Ho Ho Kus, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Mr. Trump has the uncanny ability to surround himself with talented people who share his personal vision of quality and excellence for his enterprises. In this case, we have just returned from a fantastic eight day stay at this wonderful hotel. Please read the other reviews for blow by blow descriptons of the features and benefits of staying there. It is my intention here to proclaim that it's the finest hotel in Honolulu. Worth a visit on all counts.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor-20+- for an outstanding view.
Washington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a week on our honeymoon. The hotel was absolutely wonderful; you could not ask for a better experience in Waikiki. However, it was not exactly right for us.

To be completely objective and rate the hotel on its own, it is the most wonderful hotel that I've ever visited.

STAFF:
The entire staff was friendly and helpful from the moment we arrived until the moment we left. There was one gentleman that assisted with valet parking (I wish that I knew his name), but he was particularly helpful. Anytime you left, he was there smiling and ready to assist you in any way possible including route recommendations. When we went to see Iolani Palace, he even provided us quarters for parking (which was great since we didn't know that we would need them).

HOUSEKEEPING:
As I've seen noted in previous posts, I rarely saw a housekeeping cart. I did see housekeepers fairly often on my floor as there was a linen cupboard near my room. It seemed almost as if they were avoiding the guests, as if they shouldn't even be seen. Let me be clear: they were never, ever rude. It just seemed as if they felt like it was best if they did their jobs without a guest ever having to see a housekeeper. I am not used to this, but they did a superb job. Our room was immaculate when we checked in. I can't comment as to the daily service. My husband and I greatly value our privacy while we are on vacation and we are fairly tidy, so we left the Do Not Disturb sign on our door for the entire week. Housekeeping respected our choice for no service and we even got a call from housekeeping to verify that this was not a mistake. They were very thorough!

POOL:
The pool area was very nice. I felt that the water was somewhat chilly except for the late afternoon after the sun has warmed it. My husband thought that it was the perfect temperature, so I suppose it's just a matter of preference. Similarly, the hot tub was the perfect temperature for me but too hot for my husband.

DINING:
I personally felt that the prices were a little steep. The buffet breakfast was $33.00 per person. There was some variety, but it was not extensive. It was also not particularly good. The eggs were not great (even the omelet left something to be desired). There were only two meat offerings. They also offered a potato option (that day's was boiled baby potatoes sprinkled with some sort of course salt). They had small waffles as well. The rest of the menu seemed to be catered toward their Asian guests and I did not try these items. I ended up trying a few things and ended up with a salad (which was oddly enough also offered on the breakfast buffet). We did not try the restaurant downstairs, as I feared the same sort of disappointment.

LOCATION:
I don't think that you could really beat the location of this hotel. The beach was directly across the street and there were stalls set up for activities rentals. There was a main shopping strip not even a two minute walk from the hotel. Although the term "shopping strip" probably doesn't do it justice. There were many stores and restaurants (most are upscale) in this area that really made it so that you didn't have to leave the area if you didn't want to do so.

The downside of this hotel is really our fault. It was apparent that we did not belong there. If you are visiting Waikiki to shop at upscale stores, visit the oceanfront, and be pampered, this hotel is ideal. We spent most of our time hiking, exploring the island, and searching for some good local foods (there aren't many to be had, FYI). Half the time we came back to the hotel dirty and exhausted, a look that many of the other guests did not have. If you're a young couple going to Oahu for the first time, do yourself a favor and stay on the West Shore near Ko'Olina. It has the most beautiful beach that we saw the entire week and you don't have to fight the traffic to get back to your hotel after a long day.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side of the property have a good ocean view. We had an "ocean view" roo...
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

You can say what you want about the Donald (and I have), but the man knows how to do hotel and luxury. The Trump Waikiki was absolutely fabulous. The rooms are immaculate and have lots of little touches. I stayed in a studio with a great little kitchen area which helped me a lot as I managed a 6 hour time change the first days of my stay. The concierge service was outstanding. They helped me with things before my arrival and then helped make sure everything was just perfect when I arrived. Even when I changed a couple of things, it was no problem, they took care of it for me. As a solo traveler, they were very helpful and honest about different spots and made me feel all the more comfortable to be moving about the area on my own. I know there were people staying in rooms around me - I saw them in the hall, but never heard a peep from anyone... nice and quiet. I always had cold waters waiting in my car. Beautiful views and perfect location overlooking Ft. Derussy. The spa is smaller but the treatments are wonderful. Starbucks is right across the street and great breakfast spot, Eggs n Things less than a block away. The Mai Tai's are yummy! The entire staff was very customer, service and value-focused. Just so impressive.

Room Tip: I had a room that faced the park - take the option for a higher floor it will help with any street n...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Trump International Hotel Waikiki Beach Walk? Share your experiences!