“The Trump Experience...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Trump International Hotel Waikiki Beach Walk

Save Saved
You added Trump International Hotel Waikiki Beach Walk to your Saves list
Trump International Hotel Waikiki Beach Walk
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   223 Saratoga Road, P.O. Box 88435, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Luxurious Suite Special
Ranked #1 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Cary, Illinois
“The Trump Experience...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Everything about this place is what you would expect from a high end property. Outstanding service, amenities, and location. Everyone there was exceptionally nice and helpful. There is a reason this is the #1 hotel in Honolulu. You won't be disappointed.

1,358 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Cromwell, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Had an opportunity to visit my son and grandaughters who live on Oahu in early May 2013.

We had spent some time last August at Trump and decided to stay there again for 5 nights and then next 4 nights at the Kahala Resort.

I love staying at Trump Waikiki. It is a unique property. The people who work there are always friendly and make you feel like you belong there. Although not on the water, it is a a short block away and in the heart of the Beach Walk area. We had a car and it was relatively easy (to get around the island) and back to hotel as compared to the more traffic congested central hotel area.

We did use the pool more than our stay last time. Although small it was never crowded and with plenty of shade to sit it was an opportunity to read books and newspapers, take a dip, absorb the sights and sounds of the area from the sixth floor pool area.

While at the Kahala I did miss the convenience of the Trump location to just walk outside and get anything you wanted easily....ABC store, gelato, restaurants, people watching.

One area which the Kahala won hands down was its breakfast buffet. The food quality, presentation, and service were definitely a notch above Trump.

When we go back to Hawaii, I look forward to a third stay at Trump Waikiki!

Room Tip: Work with Jet Luxury to save some significant dollars and use to upgrade to larger room view.
Ho Ho Kus, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Mr. Trump has the uncanny ability to surround himself with talented people who share his personal vision of quality and excellence for his enterprises. In this case, we have just returned from a fantastic eight day stay at this wonderful hotel. Please read the other reviews for blow by blow descriptons of the features and benefits of staying there. It is my intention here to proclaim that it's the finest hotel in Honolulu. Worth a visit on all counts.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor-20+- for an outstanding view.
Washington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a week on our honeymoon. The hotel was absolutely wonderful; you could not ask for a better experience in Waikiki. However, it was not exactly right for us.

To be completely objective and rate the hotel on its own, it is the most wonderful hotel that I've ever visited.

STAFF:
The entire staff was friendly and helpful from the moment we arrived until the moment we left. There was one gentleman that assisted with valet parking (I wish that I knew his name), but he was particularly helpful. Anytime you left, he was there smiling and ready to assist you in any way possible including route recommendations. When we went to see Iolani Palace, he even provided us quarters for parking (which was great since we didn't know that we would need them).

HOUSEKEEPING:
As I've seen noted in previous posts, I rarely saw a housekeeping cart. I did see housekeepers fairly often on my floor as there was a linen cupboard near my room. It seemed almost as if they were avoiding the guests, as if they shouldn't even be seen. Let me be clear: they were never, ever rude. It just seemed as if they felt like it was best if they did their jobs without a guest ever having to see a housekeeper. I am not used to this, but they did a superb job. Our room was immaculate when we checked in. I can't comment as to the daily service. My husband and I greatly value our privacy while we are on vacation and we are fairly tidy, so we left the Do Not Disturb sign on our door for the entire week. Housekeeping respected our choice for no service and we even got a call from housekeeping to verify that this was not a mistake. They were very thorough!

POOL:
The pool area was very nice. I felt that the water was somewhat chilly except for the late afternoon after the sun has warmed it. My husband thought that it was the perfect temperature, so I suppose it's just a matter of preference. Similarly, the hot tub was the perfect temperature for me but too hot for my husband.

DINING:
I personally felt that the prices were a little steep. The buffet breakfast was $33.00 per person. There was some variety, but it was not extensive. It was also not particularly good. The eggs were not great (even the omelet left something to be desired). There were only two meat offerings. They also offered a potato option (that day's was boiled baby potatoes sprinkled with some sort of course salt). They had small waffles as well. The rest of the menu seemed to be catered toward their Asian guests and I did not try these items. I ended up trying a few things and ended up with a salad (which was oddly enough also offered on the breakfast buffet). We did not try the restaurant downstairs, as I feared the same sort of disappointment.

LOCATION:
I don't think that you could really beat the location of this hotel. The beach was directly across the street and there were stalls set up for activities rentals. There was a main shopping strip not even a two minute walk from the hotel. Although the term "shopping strip" probably doesn't do it justice. There were many stores and restaurants (most are upscale) in this area that really made it so that you didn't have to leave the area if you didn't want to do so.

The downside of this hotel is really our fault. It was apparent that we did not belong there. If you are visiting Waikiki to shop at upscale stores, visit the oceanfront, and be pampered, this hotel is ideal. We spent most of our time hiking, exploring the island, and searching for some good local foods (there aren't many to be had, FYI). Half the time we came back to the hotel dirty and exhausted, a look that many of the other guests did not have. If you're a young couple going to Oahu for the first time, do yourself a favor and stay on the West Shore near Ko'Olina. It has the most beautiful beach that we saw the entire week and you don't have to fight the traffic to get back to your hotel after a long day.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side of the property have a good ocean view. We had an "ocean view" roo...
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

You can say what you want about the Donald (and I have), but the man knows how to do hotel and luxury. The Trump Waikiki was absolutely fabulous. The rooms are immaculate and have lots of little touches. I stayed in a studio with a great little kitchen area which helped me a lot as I managed a 6 hour time change the first days of my stay. The concierge service was outstanding. They helped me with things before my arrival and then helped make sure everything was just perfect when I arrived. Even when I changed a couple of things, it was no problem, they took care of it for me. As a solo traveler, they were very helpful and honest about different spots and made me feel all the more comfortable to be moving about the area on my own. I know there were people staying in rooms around me - I saw them in the hall, but never heard a peep from anyone... nice and quiet. I always had cold waters waiting in my car. Beautiful views and perfect location overlooking Ft. Derussy. The spa is smaller but the treatments are wonderful. Starbucks is right across the street and great breakfast spot, Eggs n Things less than a block away. The Mai Tai's are yummy! The entire staff was very customer, service and value-focused. Just so impressive.

Room Tip: I had a room that faced the park - take the option for a higher floor it will help with any street n...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have stayed at quite a few high end, luxury 5 star hotels and my Trump experience easily takes first place. We stayed here last year and was highly impressed (hence our decision to come back again, although there were a few less expensive options we were considering for this return trip). Our decision to return was probably the best we made! After 5 days in Maui at the Westin (by all means a decent hotel), it was immediately apparent the difference between the two and I couldn't help comparing the two hotels. I felt bad since the Westin Maui really wasn't all that bad, but having the Trump follow our experience maybe wasn't all that fair to Westin Maui?

My review below is just a mix of everything we experienced. It could probably be better organized but I'm still on vacation mode and a little lazy :)

STAFF and SERVICE:
The staff at Trump was BEYOND accommodating and friendly. I have never had such a welcoming staff. I think what stood out was that EVERY staff was this way. There have been other hotels where one unfriendly or unhelpful staff ruin it all for the entire team. Not only were they friendly, every staff member- from the concierge staff to bellhops to housekeeping- were REALLY REALLY friendly and helpful. They always had a smile on their face and often remembered our names! I was deeply impressed with their attentiveness and quickness to respond. For example, one of the night bellhops literally RAN to get our car from the valet parking lot. Of course we wanted our car with as little wait time as possible but we never expected the valet staff to sprint to get our car! I wish I had gotten his name so I could properly thank him! We were delighted to see a familiar face. My husband met Dean last year who gave us so many recommendations on where to eat. We appreciated the recs from a local and loved every one of his recommendations! We were so happy to see him and he remembered us! The only person who we thought could be a little friendlier was one of the servers at the In-Yo cafe. Perhaps because everyone else was SO nice, this server stood out a little. He wasn't very friendly and didn't look like he wanted to be there. When we asked for juice a few times, he didn't respond so we weren't sure if he had heard us or not. He had: he brought our drinks right away but it would have been nice if he had acknowledged our request.

CHECK-IN:
We were given a free upgrade without us even asking! We got a slightly larger room with a slightly better view. Before arriving we were notified via email that there would be some light construction in the building and we might hear some minor noise during the day (when most people would be out and about anyway). For this minor inconvenience we were offered $100 food and beverage credit for each of the 3 (out of 5) days of our stay. When we arrived to check-in, they gave us the good news that the construction days had been shifted and would only be affected for 2 days. But since they had already offered us $100 for 3 days, they kept the offer and gave us all $300 in credit. And we didn't hear a thing! I can't even tell you when the 2 days of construction took place. We really enjoyed spending the credit on breakfast buffet and room service and drinks and snacks by the pool! $300 (actually $350 because we booked a deal where we were given $50 in food and beverage credit).

ROOM:
The room itself is spacious and I loved the fully stocked, state of the art kitchen. One of the reasons we chose the Trump was that it offered a kitchen. It's nice to have the option of making our own breakfast or snack. The bathroom is huge and offers a double sink. There is a HUGE soaking tub. HUGE! Although I only used it twice, the water pressure is serious and fills the huge tub very quickly. The balcony is designed so that you can avoid any of those awkward moments with your next door neighbors. It is designed so that you can't see into your neighbor's balcony (and they into yours) and can have absolute privacy. There is a small table with 2 chairs. The chairs could be a little more comfortable though. It would be lovely to have some cushioning. I loved sitting out there looking down at the Beachwalk or beyond to the beach but each time I had to come back into the room because the chairs would dig in. The JW has actual sofas in their balcony. How awesome would that be?!?

CLEANLINESS, AMENITIES:
One of the reasons why I would pay extra for a 5 star luxury hotel room is the cleanliness of the room and the amenities it offers. Of course I love the service! But above all, I NEED a clean room. The Trump was beyond meticulous. Every faucet in the bathroom sparkled, beds and tables flawlessly made. The bed... THE BED! We had just spent 5 nights in the Westin where they boast their Heavenly beds. But the Trump bed was the best I have ever slept on! It was just firm as I liked and the sheets were the softest! Getting into bed each night was another indulgent experience. I want to buy the sheets they use. The Westin offers to sell their linens, robes and even beds they use in their rooms. Does the Trump do that?

The bottles of toiletries was very nice. Most hotels give you the teeniest bottles of shampoo and conditioner. I use a lot of shampoo and by the time I finish with my shower, there's only the teeniest bit left for my husband. And if we decide to take a second shower before housekeeping replenishes our stash, we are in trouble and sometimes have to call down to bring us up a few more bottles. But this was never a problem at the Trump. Their toiletry sizes were generous (probably 2-3 times as large as other hotels!) and generously replenished the next day. I know this may seem minor, but these little attentions to details is what makes the Trump stand out! Also, I rarely saw the housekeeping carts in the hallways. We were in and out of our hotel rooms quite frequently throughout our stay, but now that I think about it, I don't remember seeing the housekeeping cart except 1-2 times. And they even do the rounds twice a day since they offer a turndown service. How do they do it? Amazing! The housekeeping staff is FANTASTIC! I've left dishes in our sink a few times, and when I get back, not a dish in sight. All cleaned and dried and put away. Making the beds and cleaning up after us is a given- all done so well. But again, attention to detail- we left our leis they gave us at check in carelessly tossed on our coffee table. When we got back to our room, we were tickled to see that they had rearranged them into heart shapes. So cute!

As soon as we walked into our room, we found a bottle of champagne in a bucket of ice (how did they know we were coming? The ice looked fresh!) welcoming and thanking us and congratulating us on our wedding anniversary. Such a nice touch!

INTERNET:
The hotel offers free wi-fi for their guests. This was the only very minor point of complaint I had. The wi-fi signal worked but was weak so my internet connection was weak and disconnected a few times. I had to use my phone to access the internet a few times because my iPad's internet connection wasn't working too well.

IN-YO CAFE/ ROOM-SERVICE FOOD:
The breakfast buffet at $34 was a little steep but not unexpected for a hotel dining experience. It was decent. It offered everything that would be expected at a breakfast buffet- hash browns, scrambled eggs, sausage links, fresh fruit, cereal, granola, baked goods, etc. They offered omelets you order as you like as well as a variety of juices, coffee and even smoothies! You also can order oatmeal. I like my oatmeal a little on the mushy side so I had to add more more water to mine when they brought it out. I think they used steel-cut oatmeal because it was still chunky. The baked goods (muffins, croissants, etc) were just ok. Nothing to write home about. The fruit- the papayas were excellent. The others- could be better. They had some Asian inspired stuff like somen, rice porridge and pickled vegetables. The menu seemed to be exactly the same as last year. I think it could use a little variety and change.

Room-service food was surprisingly good! We ordered it twice. Though the late night dining menu was limited, the two kinds of burgers they offered were excellent. The chocolate mousse crunch cake was probably one of the best I've had!The food was delivered super quick too! From the moment we called in the order to delivery took less than 20 minutes! We normally don't order room service because the price is a little outlandish, but we were able to take advantage of the credit we had. It sure came in handy!

Overall, this second Hawaii Trump experience (and one Chicago Trump experience which was amazing as well) made me a lifelong Trump fan. If the rooms and service are anything like this at the other Trump properties, I know I can rest assured and can expect the best.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here in May for 1 night. It was a fine stay. Admittedly we arrived mid afternoon and left very very early in the morning the next day so we didnt spend too much time in the hotel. But of the limited time that we did spend in the hotel it was great.

The staff were wonderful, the room was great too. It was basically like a serviced apartment, so it was very spacious with a bedroom, a kitchen and great sized bathroom. So it was very spacious and if you were going to stay somewhere for maybe a week and didnt want to eat out every night and just wanted to chill in your own room, i think it would be great. I would want a room with a view so it would be enjoyable being in the room on one of the higher floors. I think we were on the 22nd floor. Not sure if all the rooms are the same, you would have to check this out. The pool area was average and the cafe bar area was ok, nothing particularly special.

But the staff were great, room was modern and very clean.

It is a different style of stay. We also stayed at the Halekulani for 3 nights. The Trump is really a high rise building type accommodation, while the Halekulani is more spacious surrounds around the resort with gardens and pool and several restaurants. So depending on the type of stay you would like, pick one or the other.

I think the Trump hotel was well priced for what we got and also happy to stay here again in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Trump International Hotel Waikiki Beach Walk? Share your experiences!