“Absolutely the BEST!!! Couldn't be better!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Trump International Hotel Waikiki Beach Walk

Save Saved
You added Trump International Hotel Waikiki Beach Walk to your Saves list
Trump International Hotel Waikiki Beach Walk
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   223 Saratoga Road, P.O. Box 88435, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Luxurious Suite Special
Ranked #1 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Los Angeles, California
“Absolutely the BEST!!! Couldn't be better!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have stayed at quite a few high end, luxury 5 star hotels and my Trump experience easily takes first place. We stayed here last year and was highly impressed (hence our decision to come back again, although there were a few less expensive options we were considering for this return trip). Our decision to return was probably the best we made! After 5 days in Maui at the Westin (by all means a decent hotel), it was immediately apparent the difference between the two and I couldn't help comparing the two hotels. I felt bad since the Westin Maui really wasn't all that bad, but having the Trump follow our experience maybe wasn't all that fair to Westin Maui?

My review below is just a mix of everything we experienced. It could probably be better organized but I'm still on vacation mode and a little lazy :)

STAFF and SERVICE:
The staff at Trump was BEYOND accommodating and friendly. I have never had such a welcoming staff. I think what stood out was that EVERY staff was this way. There have been other hotels where one unfriendly or unhelpful staff ruin it all for the entire team. Not only were they friendly, every staff member- from the concierge staff to bellhops to housekeeping- were REALLY REALLY friendly and helpful. They always had a smile on their face and often remembered our names! I was deeply impressed with their attentiveness and quickness to respond. For example, one of the night bellhops literally RAN to get our car from the valet parking lot. Of course we wanted our car with as little wait time as possible but we never expected the valet staff to sprint to get our car! I wish I had gotten his name so I could properly thank him! We were delighted to see a familiar face. My husband met Dean last year who gave us so many recommendations on where to eat. We appreciated the recs from a local and loved every one of his recommendations! We were so happy to see him and he remembered us! The only person who we thought could be a little friendlier was one of the servers at the In-Yo cafe. Perhaps because everyone else was SO nice, this server stood out a little. He wasn't very friendly and didn't look like he wanted to be there. When we asked for juice a few times, he didn't respond so we weren't sure if he had heard us or not. He had: he brought our drinks right away but it would have been nice if he had acknowledged our request.

CHECK-IN:
We were given a free upgrade without us even asking! We got a slightly larger room with a slightly better view. Before arriving we were notified via email that there would be some light construction in the building and we might hear some minor noise during the day (when most people would be out and about anyway). For this minor inconvenience we were offered $100 food and beverage credit for each of the 3 (out of 5) days of our stay. When we arrived to check-in, they gave us the good news that the construction days had been shifted and would only be affected for 2 days. But since they had already offered us $100 for 3 days, they kept the offer and gave us all $300 in credit. And we didn't hear a thing! I can't even tell you when the 2 days of construction took place. We really enjoyed spending the credit on breakfast buffet and room service and drinks and snacks by the pool! $300 (actually $350 because we booked a deal where we were given $50 in food and beverage credit).

ROOM:
The room itself is spacious and I loved the fully stocked, state of the art kitchen. One of the reasons we chose the Trump was that it offered a kitchen. It's nice to have the option of making our own breakfast or snack. The bathroom is huge and offers a double sink. There is a HUGE soaking tub. HUGE! Although I only used it twice, the water pressure is serious and fills the huge tub very quickly. The balcony is designed so that you can avoid any of those awkward moments with your next door neighbors. It is designed so that you can't see into your neighbor's balcony (and they into yours) and can have absolute privacy. There is a small table with 2 chairs. The chairs could be a little more comfortable though. It would be lovely to have some cushioning. I loved sitting out there looking down at the Beachwalk or beyond to the beach but each time I had to come back into the room because the chairs would dig in. The JW has actual sofas in their balcony. How awesome would that be?!?

CLEANLINESS, AMENITIES:
One of the reasons why I would pay extra for a 5 star luxury hotel room is the cleanliness of the room and the amenities it offers. Of course I love the service! But above all, I NEED a clean room. The Trump was beyond meticulous. Every faucet in the bathroom sparkled, beds and tables flawlessly made. The bed... THE BED! We had just spent 5 nights in the Westin where they boast their Heavenly beds. But the Trump bed was the best I have ever slept on! It was just firm as I liked and the sheets were the softest! Getting into bed each night was another indulgent experience. I want to buy the sheets they use. The Westin offers to sell their linens, robes and even beds they use in their rooms. Does the Trump do that?

The bottles of toiletries was very nice. Most hotels give you the teeniest bottles of shampoo and conditioner. I use a lot of shampoo and by the time I finish with my shower, there's only the teeniest bit left for my husband. And if we decide to take a second shower before housekeeping replenishes our stash, we are in trouble and sometimes have to call down to bring us up a few more bottles. But this was never a problem at the Trump. Their toiletry sizes were generous (probably 2-3 times as large as other hotels!) and generously replenished the next day. I know this may seem minor, but these little attentions to details is what makes the Trump stand out! Also, I rarely saw the housekeeping carts in the hallways. We were in and out of our hotel rooms quite frequently throughout our stay, but now that I think about it, I don't remember seeing the housekeeping cart except 1-2 times. And they even do the rounds twice a day since they offer a turndown service. How do they do it? Amazing! The housekeeping staff is FANTASTIC! I've left dishes in our sink a few times, and when I get back, not a dish in sight. All cleaned and dried and put away. Making the beds and cleaning up after us is a given- all done so well. But again, attention to detail- we left our leis they gave us at check in carelessly tossed on our coffee table. When we got back to our room, we were tickled to see that they had rearranged them into heart shapes. So cute!

As soon as we walked into our room, we found a bottle of champagne in a bucket of ice (how did they know we were coming? The ice looked fresh!) welcoming and thanking us and congratulating us on our wedding anniversary. Such a nice touch!

INTERNET:
The hotel offers free wi-fi for their guests. This was the only very minor point of complaint I had. The wi-fi signal worked but was weak so my internet connection was weak and disconnected a few times. I had to use my phone to access the internet a few times because my iPad's internet connection wasn't working too well.

IN-YO CAFE/ ROOM-SERVICE FOOD:
The breakfast buffet at $34 was a little steep but not unexpected for a hotel dining experience. It was decent. It offered everything that would be expected at a breakfast buffet- hash browns, scrambled eggs, sausage links, fresh fruit, cereal, granola, baked goods, etc. They offered omelets you order as you like as well as a variety of juices, coffee and even smoothies! You also can order oatmeal. I like my oatmeal a little on the mushy side so I had to add more more water to mine when they brought it out. I think they used steel-cut oatmeal because it was still chunky. The baked goods (muffins, croissants, etc) were just ok. Nothing to write home about. The fruit- the papayas were excellent. The others- could be better. They had some Asian inspired stuff like somen, rice porridge and pickled vegetables. The menu seemed to be exactly the same as last year. I think it could use a little variety and change.

Room-service food was surprisingly good! We ordered it twice. Though the late night dining menu was limited, the two kinds of burgers they offered were excellent. The chocolate mousse crunch cake was probably one of the best I've had!The food was delivered super quick too! From the moment we called in the order to delivery took less than 20 minutes! We normally don't order room service because the price is a little outlandish, but we were able to take advantage of the credit we had. It sure came in handy!

Overall, this second Hawaii Trump experience (and one Chicago Trump experience which was amazing as well) made me a lifelong Trump fan. If the rooms and service are anything like this at the other Trump properties, I know I can rest assured and can expect the best.

1,363 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here in May for 1 night. It was a fine stay. Admittedly we arrived mid afternoon and left very very early in the morning the next day so we didnt spend too much time in the hotel. But of the limited time that we did spend in the hotel it was great.

The staff were wonderful, the room was great too. It was basically like a serviced apartment, so it was very spacious with a bedroom, a kitchen and great sized bathroom. So it was very spacious and if you were going to stay somewhere for maybe a week and didnt want to eat out every night and just wanted to chill in your own room, i think it would be great. I would want a room with a view so it would be enjoyable being in the room on one of the higher floors. I think we were on the 22nd floor. Not sure if all the rooms are the same, you would have to check this out. The pool area was average and the cafe bar area was ok, nothing particularly special.

But the staff were great, room was modern and very clean.

It is a different style of stay. We also stayed at the Halekulani for 3 nights. The Trump is really a high rise building type accommodation, while the Halekulani is more spacious surrounds around the resort with gardens and pool and several restaurants. So depending on the type of stay you would like, pick one or the other.

I think the Trump hotel was well priced for what we got and also happy to stay here again in the future.

Jalandhar, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Aloha! Me and my wife were here for Honeymoon. We stayed at a Ocean view suite. Honestly, it was the best start to our Honeymoon with Trump. Right from the start to the day we checked out we felt so special. We were offered a Welcome drink on Check in; whole stay was just perfect. I will go to Trump again when ever i will be in Honolulu. 2 mins walk to beach. Everything just awesome.

Room Tip: Ocean View high level suite is one of the best.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Gold Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We could not fault Trump. The hotel is new and modern unlike alot of hotels in Honolulu. We arrived off a cruise at 8:30am, the staff were so helpful, we were given a complimentary room until our room was ready, it was perfect & couldn't believe we were going to an even bigger room that afternoon. Room was ready before lunch and we were given a free upgrade-the size of the room was huge, also great having cooking facilities in room, the view was amazing. Location was great-just outside the main shopping precinct. Only negative is that the pool is small but was great to do laps. There are so many extras Trump does, makes you feel spoilt & taken care of. Free wi-fi was great & very fast. Mai Tai's down at the bar were delicious. We will definitely return to Trump next time we are in Hawaii.

Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

The room was large for Honolulu and beautifully decorated. The staff was overwhelmingly helpful, courteous and friendly. They made us feel important and appreciated.

The breakfast was great. I didn't have any of the complimentary food in the evening, but my wife did and enjoyed it. Complimentary bottled water day or night was nice, too.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
New Plymouth, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

My husband and I could not rate this hotel more highly. All the staff were so friendly and helpful that we almost felt like royality.
We had a very early check in and a very late check out at no extra cost. They also gave us a free upgrade from a one bedroom premium suite to a two bedroom suite. Two bedrooms, three bathrooms, three balconies with wonderful views of both diamond head and the ocean. The suite was very spacious, and equipped with everything to complete a perfect holiday. Having a washing machine and dryer was a nice bonus, especially after been on holiday for a few weeks.
The trump supply so many little extras that there are two many too mention.
I have never experienced such wonderful customer service before, not only from one or two exceptional staff but from all the staff.
There is a good gymn with modern equipment. The pool would be considered small, but has the advantage of length, giving you the rare opportunity to do laps. It has a lovely ambience to it with lovely views.
The location is nice and quiet, yet just around the corner from shops and across the road from the beach. There is also a trolley stop outside the hotel which will take you to the main shopping centre for just $2.00. A taxi will cost around $10.00, tip included.
Well done Trump you have set a very high and impressive standard:-).

Room Tip: We had room 3406 and it was perfect.
Up North
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We were expecting a lot from this hotel because it's a Trump and because it's not cheap and we certainly were not disappointed. We arrived late at night after a long, long journey but they made us feel unbelievably welcome and were just so nice. They knew it was a special occasion and without asking they had left some treats in the room which was a nice touch. The room itself (Deluxe Studio Ocean View) was exactly as described and was a great room, just the right size with everything you need, if not more. The internet was free....other big hotel chains should take note! The concierge was helpful with directions and advice and generally all of the staff were amazing. The location is perfect, not on the beach but within seconds walk to it plus the hotel will give you a bag to take to the beach with water, towels, sun cream and fruit - again, a nice touch and typical of the little things you expect from this brand,
We loved it and wouldn't hesitate to stay in this or any Trump again. Worth every penny and I'm sure it's not even that much more expensive than other chain hotels in Waikiki.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 22nd floor and was an ocean view room which was fab. If you want this you need t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Trump International Hotel Waikiki Beach Walk? Share your experiences!