“Off the beaten path - thank God.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian, Nepali
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Deale, Maryland
“Off the beaten path - thank God.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

3.5 stars. Only one visit so far but I will go back. I had the chicken vindaloo at the Spicy level. The taste was great but their levels of spiciness are a little conservative so you might try the next higher level from what you normally go for. The restaurant is nice and funky, sharing a little building with a few other cool joints. They have a few outside seat, a few under a balcony and plenty of seats inside.

No tourists here - just folks from the local neighborhood - fantastic.

Prices were a smidge high but not crushing. I will definitely be back.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Boston
“Recommended by a local”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I asked a local foodie where we could go for a great byob restaurant with some local flavor. We came here and loved it. I had the curried chicken and it was fantastic. So go pick out your favorite wine or beer and enjoy a wonderful dinner.

Visited November 2012
“slow service :(”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have tried this place at least 4 times, wanting each time to find out why oh why are people raving about it. The food is OK, the service is slow, and the prices are high. The only redeeming qualities for this place are the location and atmosphere. Sorry, really wanted to love you...

Visited October 2012
“What happened?!?!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Himalayan Kitchen was once my wife and my favorite restaurant in Honolulu, bar none. The food was incredible the service excellent, and we went often enough so that they knew us by name. Then, about a year and a half ago (early 2011) something changed. There were slight changes to the flavors and preparation techniques of many dishes, and the quality of service dropped noticeably.

Himalayan Kitchen is still a good restaurant, with unique flavors and a very nice environment, but I can no longer give it the top rating, as the service is extremely hit-and-miss, and the food is not quite as good as it used to be. You can have great service one night, and be stuck waiting for over an hour for your food, the next.

If you go, go early, on a week night. Order the Nepalese dishes, as they are the strength of the restaurant. The Indian dishes are good, but not anywhere as good as the Nepalese ones.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“surprisingly good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

If i blinked i would have missed it. But thanks to a friend, I tried it for the first time.

We brought our own wine, and sat down to eat. Started off with the samosas at the suggest of our waitress. It was very good.. upon first look, i thought they were going to be heavy and oily, but to my surprise, they were neither. Just a really good way to start our meal.

We each chose a dish and decided to share. So we ended up with lamb curry and lamb vindaloo, and requested the spicy versions of both. We shared a bowl of rice and an order of naan bread. Both dishes were very flavorful and mouth wateringly delish.

I'm definitely glad my friend told me about this place and will be going back with more friends next time. And maybe.. just maybe I'll be game enough to try the "nepali heat" version of the curry.

• Visited September 2012