“Interesting Polynesian Artifacts” 4 of 5 stars

Type: History Museums, Gardens, Specialty Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: This museum founded by banker Charles R. Bishop in 1889 is famous for its Polynesian artifacts.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Larchmont, New York
63 attraction reviews
“Interesting Polynesian Artifacts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

The main hall with Polynesian artifacts was very enlightening and we really learned a lot about the history of Hawaii. It is well worth spending a couple of hours here.

We found the science hall and the planetarium show to be kind of juvenile for a 30 something couple, but I know kids would like them and would highly recommend this for families. If you're just adults, I say spend 2 hours in the main hall and call it a morning.

Calgary
18 attraction reviews
“Wow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

This took me for a complete surprise. Allow yourself a whole day if you can to see everything including displays and shows. For those interested in Hawaiian history, there is a fair bit of reading but well worth learning Hawaii's story. Lots of other things to see; volcano demonstrations, dinosaurs, planetarium, hula presentation, and more.

Centerville, Ohio
5 attraction reviews
“Nice museum and campus.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I didn't have children with me, but there were lots of families there and it seemed like a great place for kids. Good schedule of shows and many different offerings. The lava flow demonstration was the highlight.

Los Angeles
22 attraction reviews
“Kapalama treasure trove of history of Hawaii”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I went to the recent exhibit of Immigrants and the 442nd Medal of Honor recipients. I've grown up in Honolulu, and have uncles who served in the 442nd, and this was still a revelation to me. The exhibits made me proud to be a descendant of heroes, and that includes my grandparents who immigrated from Japan. I saw some of the hardships they endured in the photos on display. I've never been disappointed when I've visited this museum. The main exhibit hall has the history of the islands from the first canoes, native birds and plants, and costumes of the warriors and ali'i (royalty). The museum is close by the Kamehameha School campus, which was also endowed by the Bishop family. My wish is that the Hawaiian culture and traditions will continue to be shared with present and future generations.

Visited March 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
26 attraction reviews
“History Preserved”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We toured the museum in a private tour and concentrated on the original historic portion. The building itself is a marvel of interior design and the displays are tasteful and easy to read. Elevators are available for handicapped access to the three stories and the restroom facilities in the lower level are very clean and well appointed for a public space. Our guide was a volunteer and completely knew the collection and had delightful interpretive stories to make the exhibits come alive. Many of the docents are retired University of Hawaii professors and have a great teaching manner. We only had about two hours for our visit and it was just enough for an overview not an in-depth exploration.
I plan to go back.