“Beautiful resting place for the Vets” 5 of 5 stars
Review of National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific

National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific
2177 Puowaina Drive, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96813 (Downtown Honolulu)
808-532-3720
Website
Improve this listing
Book a Tour

Ranked #5 of 155 attractions in Honolulu
Type: Cemeteries
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The resting place for more than 25,000 victims of three American Wars - World War II, Korean War and Vietnam War – this is truly the “Cemetery of Heroes.” Punchbowl was formed some 75,000 to 100,000 years ago during the Honolulu period of secondary volcanic activity. A crater resulted from the ejection of hot lava through cracks in the old coral reefs that, at the time, extended to the foot of the Koolau Mountain Range. Of special note is a monument honoring Hawaii-born astronaut Ellison Onizuka, who perished aboard the Challenger space shuttle in 1986. Also noteworthy are the Courts of the Missing, white stone tablets bearing the names of those missing in action from World War II.
Adelaide
13 attraction reviews
“Beautiful resting place for the Vets”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Very nice memorial to those who lost their lives in War time. Lovely views over the island. Easy access to the monument via the road if you cant negotiate the stairs

Starbuck, Minnesota
11 attraction reviews
“Missed the Punch Bowl”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

We were told tours were no longer allowed to get off the bus at the Punch Bowl because of disrespectful behavior by people (and after seeing how people behaved in Washington DC I am not surprised). So I am sadden greatly if we were told the truth.

I wanted to pay my respects at Sen. Inouye's grave (republican though I am, I admire Sen. Inouye greatly). When I asked the Discover Hawaii Tour guide abt the possibility, I was told no.

I would have scheduled time to go on our own had I known we would need to do so.

Haiku, Hawaii
18 attraction reviews
“very peacful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

my mother and father are there....it is very beautiful and peaceful ....always clean and well taken care of.....very beautiful view too

Visited August 2013
Bronx, New York
138 attraction reviews
“A solemn and historically rich visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We were fortunate that on our island tour the guide took time to take us to the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific. It was
a very solemn visit and rich part of learning about our history. Students of history should take time to visit our National Cemeteries to help understand the many sacrifices of our soldiers. We needed more time to honor the fallen.

Champaign, Illinois
12 attraction reviews
“Absolute Must Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

This is a cemetery of honor, respect, beauty and serenity. Highly recommend spending the time to visit and walk up the memorial walk past the main staged plaza of MIA soldiers. You will gain as much from this site as you bring to it. It really is a must see if you have seen the Arizona and associated museum. You can spend a long time understanding the beautifully carved diagrams of the major offenses and battles from WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. The view from the top of the memorial walk is absolutely amazing, especially if you have time and a group amenable to reading the memorial stones along the walk. I found particular closure to my experiences at the USS Arizona when I found several graves of soldiers who perished during the attack who were buried here but never identified, marked as UNKNOWN, though several were identified by the ship they served on. If this is too much for you, it is also a great walk/run up to the cemetery from downtown Waikiki if you enjoy running. The view from the top of the memorial walk is undoubtedly one of the best in all of Honolulu.

Visited November 2013