“Reasonably priced hotel and very friendly staff!” 3 of 5 stars

Breakers Hotel
250 Beachwalk, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Ranked #38 of 83 hotels in Honolulu
Brooklyn, New York
“Reasonably priced hotel and very friendly staff!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Many of my observations regarding this hotel are already captured by other reviewers but they are worth repeating: although it is a small property compared to the surrounding luxury hotels, the room rates are very reasonable, especially since the location is in the middle of Waikiki. Our room had a kitchenette with a microwave, refrigerator, and a lanai. There are 6-7 free parking spots in the back on Saratoga Avenue (first come, first served). We were lucky in that we were always able to find an open spot during our one-week stay, maybe in high season it would not be possible to do this, and having my mother-in-law's handicapped parking permit also helped (for person's with disabilities, the parking permit was also useful for other sites such as Pearl Harbor and the Bishop Museum). If you are able to walk and willing to take public transportation, renting a car may not be needed. Some minor annoyances I experienced were the times when we could smell the food from the Japanese restaurant next door, a few miniscule ants that made their way into our bathroom (I thought this was odd since we didn't keep any food in the room), and the fact that Wifi is available only in the pool area (we had the last room in the back, so it was necessary to come out whenever I wanted to check something on the laptop). Personally, these were very minor things to me and overall I was happy with our stay, the hotel was perfect for my mother-in-law. There is a sense of comradery amongst the guests and all the people we spoke to were repeat customers and have been staying at this hotel for many years. The atmosphere around the pool was very calm. The front lobby has a bookshelf with books and magazines. I had brought my own but it seems one could borrow something to read. There was coffee available at the lobby 24 hours, there is also a Starbucks and a 7-11 nearby. The Italian restaurant across the street (Arancino) was excellent (go early if you don't want to have to wait for a table, we walked in around 5:00-5:30 pm and were seated right away, later on people were standing outside waiting to get in). The rooms are not ultra modern or deluxe, but they are clean and everything worked. The water pressure in the shower was good (poor water pressure is a biggie for me). The bathroom towels were changed every day and they loan you pool towels at the lobby. However , what I will remember made this stay extra special was that on the day of our check-out, my mother-in-law and I were each presented with a beautiful orchid lay that we wore all day long and were able to fly back to the mainland with. Such a thoughtful gesture ensured that we will definitely be one of many of their repeat customers should we return to Honolulu in the future.

Room Tip: Try to book a room overlooking the pool. The rooms in the back by Saratoga Avenue are noisier, if yo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

136 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

My family and I have stayed ad the Breakers for close to 40 years and it never disappoints. Yes, the rooms are basic and dated but clean and very comfortable. The pool and staff are first class. Every time we return it feels like coming home. The locating is perfect for the beach, shopping and restaurants. Public transport is steps away and for $2.50 you can explore the area. The ever familiar ABC and 7Eleven are located right across the street which is handy because each suite has a small functioning kitchen. Can't wait till we go back again!

Room Tip: Pool side rooms are a little more expensive but worth it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Shanghai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Spent one night during a tour all around hawaii and had very bad experience.
Incredibly noisy aircon, strong smell of the nearby japanese restaurant kitchen, no light in the room. We probably get a bad room because of the short stay but this has been the worst place we have been.
Spend 30 dollars more and at least you will sleep without earplugs.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ohio City, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I can't believe that such a reasonably priced, friendly hotel is located right in the heart of the most over-priced, crowded section of Oahu. This was my first time to Hawaii and I can only say that Waikiki Beach is basically downtown Manhattan perched next to a beautiful ocean: very crowded (even though I was there in off-peak season, October) with lots and lots of high-priced stores, restaurants, bars, and hotels. The Breakers Hotel was a welcome relief as it is well-priced, has a kitchenette (so I could eat at a reasonable price), and is not a 35 story hotel (Breakers is two stories tall). The rooms were nice, Japanese style with the sliding doors and a patio, and hotel was quiet. My only concern is that the rooms were a little bit rundown, but I think this is easily understandable given the reasonableness of the price. I would definitely, without hesitation, go back to the Breakers on my next trip.

Room Tip: I had a room in the back, away from the front entrance to hotel which faces a relatively busy street...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

This place is a real gem. First, the location -- it's perfect. About one block from the beach, one block from all the great restaurants, shops, bars & cafes of Kalikaua Avenue, and one block away from a major bus stop on Saratoga that can take you virtually anywhere on the island (such as Pearl Harbour). The hotel itself is run by a very friendly group of people who believe in keeping things the way they are. It's a low rise (two story) motel type property that reminds you more of the 60s. They even use typewriters at the front desk (I love it!). Our room was very clean, the lanai was wonderful, great pool ambience makes for a perfect place to relax and have a beer after a long day. This would be first choice to stay when we return next time. Even my 14-year old son raved about the place, so it's teenager tested! This place is a terrific choice compared to the many boxy high-rise hotels everywhere in Waikiki. I really really hope that they can hold on to the property and keep it unique for many years to come.

Shah Rukh says: They have a very nice Japanese restaurant on the property that serves fine food. Try it!

Shah Rukh's tips: The rooms on the second floor looking out to the pool have a really nice ambience, though they cost a bit more. Try to avoid the rooms toward the back of the hotel since it tends to get a bit noisy in the morning due to traffic on Saratoga.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

This is a very charming small hotel in the heart of Waikiki. Waikiki feels like a large shopping mall, so it was nice to stay somewhere that felt family owned. The rooms are very outdated, but impeccably clean and the grounds are very nice. The staff was kind and helpful. Would highly recommend for a short stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Syndey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights. The rooms are good enough. Beds are comfortable showers strong and plenty of hot water and towels.

Our room 124 was next to the hotel restaurant which meant we got some noise in the evening but it was ok.

The AC is good but a little noisey better to use the fans and open the louvres

Close to all the shops, restaurants and beach without being in the high rises.

The grounds and pool are lovely.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Breakers Hotel? Share your experiences!