“its " OK"- but there are better unit available for the same money.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Cabana at Waikiki

You added The Cabana at Waikiki to your Saves list
The Cabana at Waikiki
2551 Cartwright Road, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Kamloops, Canada
“its " OK"- but there are better unit available for the same money.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

location is very unique. very close to the park ,Queens Beach, Hula's. But not the greatest for grocery shopping. no pool. basic at best. small bathroom. no tub. small balcony. pretty good for bus & trolley stops-but again-all of them are. the property is old. no elevator. lots of street noise. its really an alley,but same thing. we viewed the waikiki banyan, just one block away on Kuhio, and it was much newer, nicer, bigger, for the same amount of money per nite. the unit that we rented was managed by Aili Beach Rentals. which I think is a very good company. we had a couple of issues, and they resolved it promptly. the most central location , in my opinion, would be anything right around Kuhio & Lewers. thats a nice area. the further back from the beach, the less expensive it gets. we stayed in # 301.

Room Tip: If I stayed here again, I would book # 205 - we had a peek- it looks to be the newest and its going...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Perth, Aust
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

A great rental only minutes walk to the beach and Kalakaua Avenue. You can't expect much for the cost but it does represent good value. We have been to Waikiki many times and stayed in hotels. This trip we were being a little more budget minded so we chose The Cabana due to its location and cost. We stayed in #305. Its a walk up so if you have bad knees choose somewhere else. It is very secure and quite private and although at times we did get some noise from a nearby construction site it really wasn't a worry. The kitchen has all you need and the king bed is reasonably comfortably. I believe a number of the apartments available for rental in The Cabana have been fitted out in a similar fashion and whilst they do the job, maybe for a little extra it could have been more comfortable. The bar table and stools in the kitchen matches the one on the lanai and are not comfortable at all and the couch/divan is just a single bed with some cushions on it. Don't expect a couch. But this is small criticism for what is essentially a good place to stay. The bath and beach towels towels are good quality and the airconditioner works well. Special note to Ali'i Beach Rentals who quickly addressed an issue we had with the bed sheets and for their concern during the tsunami warning. They are a delight to deal with. Would I stay there again? Despite being quite spoiled when we stayed at the Moana Surfrider on our last two visits, we liked the Cabana alot and would happily stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

This rental is just steps from the beautiful Waikiki. We stayed in 305 which has a full kitchen, balcony, beach accessories, etc. the setup is a studio apartment so it's best for a couple with children. Not 2 couples. A good value but a consideration is that there is no elevator on the property. Other than that very clean and delightfully cozy.

• Stayed September 2012
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

This was an awesome little time share. The place was well kept and it was definitely helpful to have a fully functional kitchen. Reserving a parking space was well worth the extra charge as well. It is just 2 blocks from the main strip and right around the corner from the little shop where we rented our mopeds. I'll be sure to stay here next time I'm in town.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

I had a great stay at the Cabana, it's a cute place. It's a small four story building so don't expect views out of your lanai but no worries, Kuhio Beach Park is only a short walk away (about a block and a half). The location is great and is within walking distance of the beach, shopping, and food. There's also an ABC store right around the corner :) It isn't too noisy either, there was only a bit of noise in the morning due to some construction and on the weekend at night.

Our unit (301) looks to be recently renovated or really well taken care of. The decor and furniture have a tropical, island feel to it, clean and well maintained. It had a full kitchen, living space with a trundle bed (two twins), one bathroom, and a king sized bed with a sliding divider that separates the bedroom and living/kitchen space. The kitchen wasn't as well equipped as I thought, there were very few pots/pans, no knives (only butter ones), and a dish rack would have been nice. The bathroom is a tad small with a really, really slow running sink and shower only but it had a neat large, rain-like shower head. The place also has a wifi and a flat screen TV but who comes to Hawai'i to watch TV and surf the net?!? Heh, go surf some waves ;)

My only annoyance was the towel rules which were not to use them as rags, wipe off makeup, dye your hair, or cause any damage OR be charged. They already looked like rags when I checked in! I hope I won't get charged…I also did not see the beach towels they mentioned in amenities, good thing I brought my own!

Overall the condo was a great price and beside some smalls little things and rules I had a great stay and would rent again if I can save up for another trip!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

My fiance and i stayed nine days at The Cabana @ Waikiki # 301, which is an excellent end room. The location, lack of noise, wonderful facility, the fact that it's a condo with stove and refrig, make it a great place to stay. It was less than a 5 minute walk to waikiki beach. Our friends suggested another island with less crowds, but we had the best of both worlds. Every day we enjoyed the beach scene and then around 5:30 sat on the wonderful little lanai and had cheese and crackers and wine in the soothing breezes. The ipod system is a nice touch. Now for the difficult part: I'm a seasoned traveler, but in our rush to get to our flight, I inadvertently left some very nice clothes in a drawer. When we arrived in LA to make our connection, I called the rental company and spoke to one of the two reps about my error and she assured me the cleaning people would turn in the clothes and they would mail them to us, charging us postage, which i was happy to do. Several days passed with no word and I finally contacted them, receiving the message that the cleaning people had found some stuff but didn't think it worth keeping and threw it out. The "stuff" they said they threw out included a pair of "Ralph Lauren shorts" bought on the trip and a pair of Nike running shorts that were bought just prior to my visit, along with some other items that were fairly new. The management company did nothing. The other disappointment was that there's a notice on the mirror of this cabana saying that the cleaning company will "refresh" the towels every three days." However, at the end of six days with no refreshing, my fiance was told that this was not included in the rental and it was an "old sign". Bottom line: the management company was quick to make the rental, but don't provide much support after that. Would i go back? HELL YES! The price, the location, the unit: unbeatable. But sadly i will not expect any better customer service.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

We recently booked a 10 night stay at the Cabana based on the numerous positive reviews on Tripadvisor. To put it our experience in a nutshell, the stay was underwhelming enough that we only stayed 1 night and moved to a different hotel for the rest of our stay. This is not to say there weren't any positives, but for a longer stay, the accommodations were not suitable for what we wanted for a pleasant holiday. Fortunately, the lady, Yuliya who was handling the vacation rental had other properties in the rental pool and she did her best to move us. We ended moving to the Trump Waikiki (obviously at a significantly increased cost) but were happy we did.

Here are the positives:

- Reasonably spacious for a couple, but a little small for our needs (we have two sons under the age of 6).
- Quite reasonable from a cost perspective
- Location is convenient if you want to be close to the Zoo side of Waikiki

Here are the downsides:

- bathroom tub area is full of mildew
- door that separated living area from bedroom area was not functioning
- bright light outside the window area and the blinds did not block enough light -- my kids were kept awake by the light
- noisy A/C
- fair bit of street noise (exterior access door and single pane windows).
- although the suite with the pullout couch can sleep 4, there isn't enough dining space to seat 4.
Probably

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Cabana at Waikiki? Share your experiences!