“Great place to stay but...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Cabana at Waikiki

You added The Cabana at Waikiki to your Saves list
The Cabana at Waikiki
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   2551 Cartwright Road, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
San Francisco, California
“Great place to stay but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

I had a great stay at the Cabana, it's a cute place. It's a small four story building so don't expect views out of your lanai but no worries, Kuhio Beach Park is only a short walk away (about a block and a half). The location is great and is within walking distance of the beach, shopping, and food. There's also an ABC store right around the corner :) It isn't too noisy either, there was only a bit of noise in the morning due to some construction and on the weekend at night.

Our unit (301) looks to be recently renovated or really well taken care of. The decor and furniture have a tropical, island feel to it, clean and well maintained. It had a full kitchen, living space with a trundle bed (two twins), one bathroom, and a king sized bed with a sliding divider that separates the bedroom and living/kitchen space. The kitchen wasn't as well equipped as I thought, there were very few pots/pans, no knives (only butter ones), and a dish rack would have been nice. The bathroom is a tad small with a really, really slow running sink and shower only but it had a neat large, rain-like shower head. The place also has a wifi and a flat screen TV but who comes to Hawai'i to watch TV and surf the net?!? Heh, go surf some waves ;)

My only annoyance was the towel rules which were not to use them as rags, wipe off makeup, dye your hair, or cause any damage OR be charged. They already looked like rags when I checked in! I hope I won't get charged…I also did not see the beach towels they mentioned in amenities, good thing I brought my own!

Overall the condo was a great price and beside some smalls little things and rules I had a great stay and would rent again if I can save up for another trip!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank samicakes

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

My fiance and i stayed nine days at The Cabana @ Waikiki # 301, which is an excellent end room. The location, lack of noise, wonderful facility, the fact that it's a condo with stove and refrig, make it a great place to stay. It was less than a 5 minute walk to waikiki beach. Our friends suggested another island with less crowds, but we had the best of both worlds. Every day we enjoyed the beach scene and then around 5:30 sat on the wonderful little lanai and had cheese and crackers and wine in the soothing breezes. The ipod system is a nice touch. Now for the difficult part: I'm a seasoned traveler, but in our rush to get to our flight, I inadvertently left some very nice clothes in a drawer. When we arrived in LA to make our connection, I called the rental company and spoke to one of the two reps about my error and she assured me the cleaning people would turn in the clothes and they would mail them to us, charging us postage, which i was happy to do. Several days passed with no word and I finally contacted them, receiving the message that the cleaning people had found some stuff but didn't think it worth keeping and threw it out. The "stuff" they said they threw out included a pair of "Ralph Lauren shorts" bought on the trip and a pair of Nike running shorts that were bought just prior to my visit, along with some other items that were fairly new. The management company did nothing. The other disappointment was that there's a notice on the mirror of this cabana saying that the cleaning company will "refresh" the towels every three days." However, at the end of six days with no refreshing, my fiance was told that this was not included in the rental and it was an "old sign". Bottom line: the management company was quick to make the rental, but don't provide much support after that. Would i go back? HELL YES! The price, the location, the unit: unbeatable. But sadly i will not expect any better customer service.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
10 Thank icoachu
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

We recently booked a 10 night stay at the Cabana based on the numerous positive reviews on Tripadvisor. To put it our experience in a nutshell, the stay was underwhelming enough that we only stayed 1 night and moved to a different hotel for the rest of our stay. This is not to say there weren't any positives, but for a longer stay, the accommodations were not suitable for what we wanted for a pleasant holiday. Fortunately, the lady, Yuliya who was handling the vacation rental had other properties in the rental pool and she did her best to move us. We ended moving to the Trump Waikiki (obviously at a significantly increased cost) but were happy we did.

Here are the positives:

- Reasonably spacious for a couple, but a little small for our needs (we have two sons under the age of 6).
- Quite reasonable from a cost perspective
- Location is convenient if you want to be close to the Zoo side of Waikiki

Here are the downsides:

- bathroom tub area is full of mildew
- door that separated living area from bedroom area was not functioning
- bright light outside the window area and the blinds did not block enough light -- my kids were kept awake by the light
- noisy A/C
- fair bit of street noise (exterior access door and single pane windows).
- although the suite with the pullout couch can sleep 4, there isn't enough dining space to seat 4.
Probably

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
6 Thank A_Mariner
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

Overall I was pleased with The Cabana. Location was great and the room was spacious, quiet and clean. However, on the second night I inadvertantly locked myself out of my room. Coincidentally, about the same time the guest in the room adjacent to mine was unable to enter her room because her card key had somehow been de-magnetized. The problem was that all this occurred around 6:30 p.m. and the office staff leave the property at 5 p.m. You are basically left to your own devices after 5 p.m. We tried the white phone in the parking area to dial their after hours number, but the phone did not work. We dialed using a cell phone but the call went directly to their voice mail. We also called the 800 number for the properties security company and also got a voice mail. We were never able to get a live person. As it was getting dark and my neighbor had her toddler in tow, and we were unable to get ahold of property personnel, we decided to disassemble a window pane to gain access to our rooms. This eventually got us in, however I did end up suffering a serious cut to my index finger. Property personnel eventually showed up and everything was settled. Again, I was pleased with the property but being unable to contact a property manager after hours in the event of an emergency is a big concern.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
7 Thank houathlete
South San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

I have visited Waikiki several times and stayed at the major hotels.... My stay at the Cabana was the most restful and relaxed visit ever. The reviews list here prompted me to check the place out. I spent 12 days in Waikiki on business and found the Cabana to be my “home away from home". The location was perfect. The property is gated and secure. There are several places to eat, get coffee and a local grocery store (The Food Pantry) within walking distance. The suite was clean and well appointed with a full kitchen and separate bedroom. Public transportation was within ½ a block. The staff was friendly and courteous.

I would stay here again and recommend it to anyone that is interested in affordable, quality accommodations.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank GovTripTraveler
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

TripAdvisor folks steered me to this place, and once again you have not let me down!

The Cabanas are:
- Close to the beach, but not near the craziness down by the mega-hotels and international marketplace. You can walk to tons of shopping, restaurants, parks, tennis courts - you name it!
- Quiet
- Clean
- Safe
- Perfect for independent travelers

The Cabanas are not:
- A place where the concierge takes care of everything
- A pool scene
- A bar scene

For my husband and me, it was perfect. The price point can't be beat. The suite is large, nicely decorated, and I loved the small touches like iPod dock and nice soaps/shampoos. The staff is terrific - helped with delivery of our luggage (which didn't make it on our flight), got us beach mats and a hair dryer, and really seemed happy to help.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TerrySF
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

Had a nice stay here. Was disappointed that the wireless internet wasn't working-- so I was unable to work. However, I'd stay here again. I was frightened at first from the outside appearance, as I'm used to staying in 5 star hotels. Read the reviews and thought, why not give it a try.

I was able to meet other nice people. Loved being able to walk to Hulas. Staff was really nice. I would totally stay here again. It is totally worth it for the price. The rooms are clean and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business