“Underwhelming” 3 of 5 stars

2551 Cartwright Road, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Vancouver, Canada
“Underwhelming”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

We recently booked a 10 night stay at the Cabana based on the numerous positive reviews on Tripadvisor. To put it our experience in a nutshell, the stay was underwhelming enough that we only stayed 1 night and moved to a different hotel for the rest of our stay. This is not to say there weren't any positives, but for a longer stay, the accommodations were not suitable for what we wanted for a pleasant holiday. Fortunately, the lady, Yuliya who was handling the vacation rental had other properties in the rental pool and she did her best to move us. We ended moving to the Trump Waikiki (obviously at a significantly increased cost) but were happy we did.

Here are the positives:

- Reasonably spacious for a couple, but a little small for our needs (we have two sons under the age of 6).
- Quite reasonable from a cost perspective
- Location is convenient if you want to be close to the Zoo side of Waikiki

Here are the downsides:

- bathroom tub area is full of mildew
- door that separated living area from bedroom area was not functioning
- bright light outside the window area and the blinds did not block enough light -- my kids were kept awake by the light
- noisy A/C
- fair bit of street noise (exterior access door and single pane windows).
- although the suite with the pullout couch can sleep 4, there isn't enough dining space to seat 4.
Probably

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

73 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

Overall I was pleased with The Cabana. Location was great and the room was spacious, quiet and clean. However, on the second night I inadvertantly locked myself out of my room. Coincidentally, about the same time the guest in the room adjacent to mine was unable to enter her room because her card key had somehow been de-magnetized. The problem was that all this occurred around 6:30 p.m. and the office staff leave the property at 5 p.m. You are basically left to your own devices after 5 p.m. We tried the white phone in the parking area to dial their after hours number, but the phone did not work. We dialed using a cell phone but the call went directly to their voice mail. We also called the 800 number for the properties security company and also got a voice mail. We were never able to get a live person. As it was getting dark and my neighbor had her toddler in tow, and we were unable to get ahold of property personnel, we decided to disassemble a window pane to gain access to our rooms. This eventually got us in, however I did end up suffering a serious cut to my index finger. Property personnel eventually showed up and everything was settled. Again, I was pleased with the property but being unable to contact a property manager after hours in the event of an emergency is a big concern.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
South San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

I have visited Waikiki several times and stayed at the major hotels.... My stay at the Cabana was the most restful and relaxed visit ever. The reviews list here prompted me to check the place out. I spent 12 days in Waikiki on business and found the Cabana to be my “home away from home". The location was perfect. The property is gated and secure. There are several places to eat, get coffee and a local grocery store (The Food Pantry) within walking distance. The suite was clean and well appointed with a full kitchen and separate bedroom. Public transportation was within ½ a block. The staff was friendly and courteous.

I would stay here again and recommend it to anyone that is interested in affordable, quality accommodations.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

TripAdvisor folks steered me to this place, and once again you have not let me down!

The Cabanas are:
- Close to the beach, but not near the craziness down by the mega-hotels and international marketplace. You can walk to tons of shopping, restaurants, parks, tennis courts - you name it!
- Quiet
- Clean
- Safe
- Perfect for independent travelers

The Cabanas are not:
- A place where the concierge takes care of everything
- A pool scene
- A bar scene

For my husband and me, it was perfect. The price point can't be beat. The suite is large, nicely decorated, and I loved the small touches like iPod dock and nice soaps/shampoos. The staff is terrific - helped with delivery of our luggage (which didn't make it on our flight), got us beach mats and a hair dryer, and really seemed happy to help.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

Had a nice stay here. Was disappointed that the wireless internet wasn't working-- so I was unable to work. However, I'd stay here again. I was frightened at first from the outside appearance, as I'm used to staying in 5 star hotels. Read the reviews and thought, why not give it a try.

I was able to meet other nice people. Loved being able to walk to Hulas. Staff was really nice. I would totally stay here again. It is totally worth it for the price. The rooms are clean and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

A coveted two week stay in paradise. The staff was kind, helpful and patient throughout our stay. The room was well appointed with all the comforts of home, including a proper kitchen. Centrally located on a quiet street, very close to the beach, shopping and bus routes. From the initial booking through check in and departure, the staff were courteous and embraced the true Hawaiian spirit of hospitality.

We have been vacationing in Hawaii for over 40 years and this simply was the best accommodation we have ever experienced. The attention to detail given by this boutique hotel was very much appreciated, a genuine positive attitude and pleasant smile sometimes is hard to find these days – Miho and her staff have no shortage of both attributes. Our expectations were surpassed on a daily basis; we would never consider staying anywhere else in Honolulu. Very highly recommended. A well deserved five star rating from this senior couple.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City, UT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

My boyfriend and I spent a week at the Cabanas and had a wonderful time. The staff was very friendly and helped us get a rental car for a few days. The location is great. The rooms were clean, with a nice bathroom, great king bed, and large living area. The kitchen would have come in handy if we wanted to take the time to cook. We used the fridge in the room all the time for water and beverages. I've stayed in several chain hotels in Waikiki and they were okay, but I would choose to stay at the Cabanas first.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Cabana at Waikiki? Share your experiences!