“Can't wait to go back” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hale Koa Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Hale Koa Hotel
You added Hale Koa Hotel to your Saves list
2055 Kalia Road, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
ca
“Can't wait to go back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

The hotel grounds inside and out are very nice. Everything is provided at the hotel from laundry rooms to professional dry cleaning. The staff is very nice and helpful. Skip the welcome package. It's more of a brief sales presentation. The travel/activities office is not military. So, if you want to get discount tickets make sure you go to one of the bases to purchase any activity/tours. Pearl Harbor is a nice big BX to get your discounted tickets for any activity. Do submarine tour and the Polynesian Cultural Center wo/the Luau dinner. I would just get a bite to eat at one of many snack shops. Punchbowl museum is worth a visit, and get your exercise climbing Diamond Head. Do skip Manoa Falls during this time. The waterfall is only a trickle. Don't rent or return a car from Thrifty between 11- 1pm.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2009

Well I live here but have friends and family who stay so I have been to the rooms often. For price it's a good deal, BUT every room is the same you pay for the view and by the rank you have in the Dept. of Defense. So go cheap you only sleep in the room.

Food:
It's all good I like all the eating establishments. They have several from fast food only, to simple family foods, to nice dining.

Alcohol:
Barefoot Bar: it's outside by the 2nd swiming pool and beach. All served in plastic cup. Not cheap but at least you get what you pay for. The rest of Waikiki is well known to water down alcohol.
Warrior lounge; Inside, great AC, alcohol cost okay at least served in glass.

Has a small store (PX) to buy basicly what you for got to bring.

If you rate to stay here because you are Military, Dept.of Def. or a relative that is can get you in I suggest stay here. You are right on the beginning of Waikiki.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

Had the pleasure of staying at this hotel for 7 days and it was great. Good location, friendly staff, beautiful beach(even though I spent no time at the beach). Still a great loation. Would stay here again. There are 3 restaurants on this property and I highly recommond them Bilbo is one and I cant think of the other but they have the breakfast buffet which was great and worth the money. I think this hotel was wedding central because there seem to be a wedding every 5min every day. Also, the on site activity center personell was great also. There was one staff member that was exceptional Ms. Joanna.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Burke, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

My wife and I have stayed at the Hale Koa three times with the first in 1980. All changes in the facilities have been superior. Eventhough the hotel was undergoing renovations last year, we still rate the hotel outstanding. On our last stay Sep 2008 we had planned to rent a car for most of our two week stay but found the local bus system so convenient that we reduced the rental car time by half. We will return to the Hale Koa next year and wish we could stay for a month. We love it!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Muscatine, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

We just got back to Iowa from our third trip to the Hale Koa. My husband recently retired and we live in Iowa. Hawaii is the polar opposite of Iowa and while we enjoy living in Iowa, Hawaii is our favorite place of all our travels. We first went there in 2001 on returning from 2 years in Korea. We had stayed in the Maille tower, which was recently refurbished. We only left the grounds to go on a few tours, having no rental car. As a previous reviewer stated, there is no equal on Waikiki as for as land goes. The Hale Koa is not boxed in and is beach front. It is a true resort, not just a hotel. We went again in 2008, taking along my mother and sister (also from Iowa). They fell in love with Hawaii too. We learned to rent a car after that first trip because the taxi fare to and from the airport, pretty much equalled renting a car for the week. So, we were able to go to Pearl Harbor and Hanauma Bay (great State Park for snorkeling) without paying to go on a tour. We again stayed in the Maille tower, which was beginning to look a bit shabby. The Ilima tower was being renovated. So, this year my husband and I and our girls, 13 and 7, went alone and I asked for a newly renovated room. They gave us one in the Ilima tower and it was very nice indeed. We had a partial ocean view on the top floor and it was wonderful. The pool is always fun for the girls and they always make friends to hang with on a daily basis. Something we did new this time: we took a dinner cruise instead of a luau. This was a real highlight for us. We went on the Star of Honolulu, which we booked at Ft. Shafter (cheaper than at the Hale Koa) and I highly recommend it. The entire boat is a sit down dinner instead of a buffet and the food was very good. But the view of Waikiki was the real winner along with the entertainment. I felt like I was at a wedding reception with a bunch of relatives. The staff got everybody up dancing to the Village People, etc. Lots of fun, especially for our girls. But back to the Hale Koa: We have eaten once at Biba's every time we've gone and that's enough. It's never been good for us. I recommend just getting sandwiches and chips at the PX and eating up by the Point looking over the Banyan tree. The snack bar by the pool is fine too and prices are better than you'll find anywhere else. I like to go down to the lobby in the morning to drink coffee. The Java Cafe is good, but the little shop down next to hair salon has good coffee and is cheaper. We usually walk down into Waikiki to eat dinner. I highly recommend the Hale Koa and will return there again and again. We've been upgrading our room each time, and next time I'd like to stay ocean front with a king bed, but the partial ocean view this time was the best we've had so far. The ocean front view seems to be hard to book. If there is one thing I wish the Hale Koa had, it is a suite. But overall it is a superb place to stay for the money.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Lexington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

If you are in the qualify to stay at the Hale Koa and go to another hotel on Waikiki, then you are crazy. I'd never stayed at one of the "military" resorts before and was a little concerned because this was our 25th aniversary trip and I wanted it to be special. Just walking into the lobby put me at ease. It is really impressive. I had an ocean view room in the llima tower. You can see our view from the attached photo. The Barefoot Bar was right on the beach just steps from the ocean. We had a breakfast and lunch in the Koko Cafe. It also has a large open balcony that faces the ocean and the food was excellent. The pools, fitness room and other facilities are just amazing. The grounds are by far, the largest on Waikiki and include many walkways and natural areas with lots of trees, areas for picnicing, and tropical flowers. It is also within walking distance of an incredible amount of shopping opportunities. The beach is the widest on Waikiki, but it is a little rocky. Also, I found some great snorkelling with an abundance of coral and fish right off the Hale Koa beach.

As an E6, I paid $147 / night for the ocean view room. That's probably 1/2 what the people paid for a comparable room at the hotels on each side of us.

My only complaint is that there are very few rooms with king size beds. Most have two queens.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

This is a nice hotel, very clean and the folks at the reception desk are friendly, helpful and personable. The hotel itself is a great place to wander and explore.

The Barefoot Bar has great views, a very nice atmosphere and is a great place to have a drink or two. When we were there, the service was a bit slow and you had to bring food from the near-by snack bar, but the music was good and it was very pleasant to sit, relax in the ocean breezes and watch the sunset.

However, it's quite a culture shock if you're coming from a small, seaside hotel in Maui. Honolulu is a big, busy city and the hotel is in the midst of it. An "ocean view" means if you go out on the balcony and lean a bit, you can see the ocean between the hotels. Mostly, you get a view of the other hotel's balconies. And be careful because the guy on the next balcony over can see right into your room.

There are no safes in the room and they charge $10 a day for internet service. Still, the service is good and it's close to the beach but far enough away from the sun-bathing crowds. Parking is a bit inconvenient (at the garage across the street) but it's good price-wise if you’re a hotel guest.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Been to Hale Koa Hotel? Share your experiences!