“Exclusivity w/a small $ tag” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hale Koa Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Hale Koa Hotel
You added Hale Koa Hotel to your Saves list
2055 Kalia Road, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Alexandria, VA
“Exclusivity w/a small $ tag”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

At first I was a little apprehensive of staying at a military resort while on vacation in HI. I thought It would feel more like work than pleasure. The Hale Koa developers have created a great environment for military members (active duty, retired, DOD employees) to spend the vacation in a tropical paradise without spending every dime they make. The Sunday Brunch is too die for!!! Book early for best availability.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We've stayed at the Hale Koa a few times, always enjoyed it. Location and prices can't be beat. Special thanks to Kurt at reception for getting us a room closer to the beach. Grandkids loved it. Lovely Christmas decorations and music...even real Christmas music. Thank you Hale Koa for not being PC.

Liked Barefoot Bar, Snack Bar, and Warrior Lounge. Sunday Brunch way,way over-rated...not worth the price, and KoKo Cafe buffet at less than half the price is much better. KoKo Cafe was perfect for us. Good service, and good food. And lovely to sit outside in the morning and watch the sun come up while enjoying your morning coffee. Although charging a 12 yr old the adult buffet price is a rip off. And charging extra $15 room fee for kids 12 yrs old a bit much, too. And then my 17 yr old granddaughter was not allowed in the hot tub! That was the major annoyance for me. Especially when I looked over and there were younger kids in the hot tub at the time. 17 is an adult in my book, especially since she was with me. She was singled out. She's old enough to pay adult prices in the restaurant, and added room rate, but not old enough to sit with me in a hot tub!!! Bad policy, Hale Koa! You need to re-look at this policy. The girl at the towel kiosk didn't seem any older than my granddaughter. Her comment to us was "I don't make the policy, I just enforce it". Well, obviously she didn't because there were kids in the hot tub with their parents/grandparents. At the big pool, they make everyone get out of the pool 15 minutes of every hour for "adult swim". Is this really necessary when the adult only pool is just a few steps away! Insane policy. When we were there with our grandson, there was only 1 woman in the entire pool during the adult swim, for the entire 15 minutes. All the while all the children were sitting there waiting and watching her stand in the pool. That woman could have taken a 30 second walk to the adult pool and let the children enjoy the water. Another insane Hale Koa policy regarding children.

Luau was wonderful. All the grandkids said this was their favorite thing of our vacation. Show was great, food was ok. Service rather rushed, and only after we asked for something to drink were we told it's "self service". The courteous thing to do would be to announce at the tables that drinks (only coffee and water available) were self service. Something to think about Hale Koa! If anyone reading this is considering the Luau, get there early or you will not be able to participate in the pre-luau activities. Too many people for the space, and only a very few people who show up early get to do the lei or wreath making or are able to see the emu pig ceremony. They somehow manage to get everyone's picture though. And manage to get around to everyone during dinner to sell you the pictures.

My biggest complaint was the bed! OMG, so uncomfortable, and housekeeping obviously didn't know how to make up a proper bed. The sheets were never tucked in,not even the bottom sheet which was shorted at the bottom by a good foot. So we woke in the middle of the night tangled in sheets, and sleeping on the mattress. Hated it, and it really affected my rest. I honestly think this would affect a decision to stay here in the future.

Exchange was a great place for souvenirs, etc. Appreciate that convenience. DO NOT fall for their Star credit card. They will not honor hardly any of the advertised promotions.

Don't stay on the 4th floor because you don't even get a garden view...you only get to look at the roof top where all the mechanical stuff is. Ugly. But we appreciated the proximity to the beach. It would be worth the extra few dollars to upgrade to ocean view on a higher level.

Room Tip: If you enjoy the beach, ask for a room in the tower closest to the water (Ilima Tower). The elevato...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Tacoma, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

We spent 8 days at the Hale Koa recently. Although we booked a king room many months earlier, they tried to give us a two queen-bed room. Luckily my husband and I asked to be moved and we were placed in a nice room with a king bed on the 10th floor. Apparently it was the last king room available that day - what the heck? You think they'd give people what they reserved... But we wound up ok. We opted for ocean view and couldn't have been happier with our outstanding view of the ocean. Watching the sunset from our own balcony lanai was incredible, and something about the view just invigorated me each morning. The king bed was very comfortable, with adequate pillows and reasonably soft sheets. We were confounded as to why we were only only provided one nightstand- I jerry rigged a chair as a night stand. The bathroom was just ok - terrible hair dryer, small but clean tub, low-end generic toiletries (I used my own products but husband didn't know the difference), adequate towels. Decor in the rooms was a tropical feel. Reminded me of a Holiday Inn - not luxurious but clean and decent and above all,1 gets the job done.

The real star of the Hale Koa is the grounds - unbelievably gorgeous! The garden landscaping was so tranquil and luxurious feeling. Give those gardeners a raise! It felt like walking through a botanical gardens just to get to the beach. Speaking of which, the beach near the Hale Koa is the other best reason to stay there - it isn't nearly as crowded as the other end of Waikiki, but you're close enough to walk to the action whenever you want. The close proximity to the free US Army Museum of Hawaii was a nice bonus.

Most of the staff at Hale Koa are really nice, with the exception of a couple people at the activities desk. I used the spa for a massage and facial and loved it (price only a little more than what I pay at home). Hubby bought me wonderful flowers from the onsite florist and they lasted all week, The in-house comedy show was not worth going to- though the middle act (a blind dude whose name I can't remember) was actually pretty funny. The headliner was just unfunny. The luau was pretty good and the price was right, though it's not the best on the island. Oh, watch out if you do the luau or Sunday brunch to get your tickets ahead of time and still arrive early, or else they'll keep you waiting upwards of 45 minutes in ridiculous lines just to get in. Forget trying to complain about the slow service- they're on "island time" (translation: kinda just don't give a rat's A. Seriously. The hotel literally has no comment cards- guess they figure they can read it here).

The pools are awesome - particularly the kids-free, hotel-guests-only pool. That one doesn't have a view of the ocean but after spending a few hours near the kiddies (and getting kicked out if the pool at one point because some kiddo made a poo-poo in the pool), I decided that I do not need to see the ocean from the pool to be happy.

Drinks are overpriced but delicious. Try a rainbow if you like tropical - yum! One tip to help save money- we got a room with a mini fridge and stocked up on food from the on site Shoppette. Oh, btw, forget Hilo Hattie's - that Shoppette had all the tourist stuff you could want and it's almost all less expensive than at the touristy shops like ABC Stores.

All that said, the Hale Koa is one of the very best things I've seen the military so for its servicemembers and is an incredible value, even for higher ranking servicemembers. Way more Aloha for your money. Mahalo, Hale Koa and we will see you again!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Stayed here several times over the years, gets shabbier each time. The price is right, if on a family vacation. Do not expect upscale rooms or restaurants. Helpful and friendly staff. The hotel does not provide beach chairs. Are available for rent on the beach.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We have stayed at the Hale Koa in 2004 and 2013 and both times the mattresses were Bad.

The problem is that the mattress doesn't have enough springs, and there is no pillow top.

After reading several reviews I see there is no way to get a better mattress at the HK, but they do offer a thin memory foam topper to be brought to the room, but there are not enough to go around!!!

I won't return to this 4-5 star hotel until they buy some quality mattresses.

Room Tip: Bring your own mattress.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

I always forget to write this since it is a military hotel. There is absolutely no better place/deal on Waikiki, Even with recent price increases - it is incredible. Great, friendly service on the beach, with a park next door fro chilling, and for under $150 a night. The staff in the PX saved us a ton of money with the ne card - the check-in boys were so nice and friendly - the check-out guys took time to fit luggage in our undersized car - and we had surf lessons nearby with a military discount, and great places fro Halloween for my daughter and micro-brews for me. No way any other hotel beats the deal here,,,,,,

Room Tip: Semi- ocean worth the price better than full-ocean (IMHO)
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
south range, wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

It was our third time in Hawaii and at the Hale Koa, all two week stays in winter. Hard to come home to northern Wisconsin. The Hale Koa never disappoints us. Great service by housekeeping (leave a small daily tip, they deserve it). All staff made a point to be friendly and cheerful and extend little acts of kindness by holding the elevator open or taking a photo of us. We enjoyed the Luau, although the food was way more than we could eat. We enjoyed the holiday concerts. Loved the pool and ocean. We ate mostly at the hotel, mostly at the Koko Cafe and Snack Bar. The food was always very good and priced right. Other restaurants nearby had great food but were way over-priced. We especially enjoyed the Barefoot Bar and the evening music! We appreciated the travel service to help us plan day trips that included door-to-door service. We love the holiday decorations and gentle piped music (except for one night by the computers when we were trying to get our flight tickets and the music was blaring). We learned to use the city bus line to get around without a car. We were happy to leave the driving to others. We loved walking the beautifully maintained property each morning for our morning exercise. Some things that could be a little better: The front desk operates a bit slowly and can back up. Its not convenient when someone has a brief need versus some complicated discussion on their bill or other issue. Twice I had a brief question and had a rather long wait. Its really nice to have laundry on each floor, but the machines could use an update. I may just be spoiled because our home laundry is very gentle on our clothing. All in all Thank you for a great place to call home for two weeks and all of the amenities.

Room Tip: We want to keep that a secret!!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hale Koa Hotel? Share your experiences!