“Outstanding hotel, but.......” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hale Koa Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Hale Koa Hotel
2055 Kalia Road, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
South Carolina
“Outstanding hotel, but.......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights May 10-13, 2013. Was really impressed by the facility but the check-in process really leaves something to be desired. Had to stand in a line for 25-30 minutes to reach the reception desk. I was given a room with a double bed. I'm 6'-3".\, so this wouldn't work. Called the desk and asked to change. They said come down to the desk. Had to wait again, but not as long. They did give me a much better room with a king bed.
Furnishing were dated, but adequate, and similar to what you see in a lot of military billeting facilities. They have recently gone to free internet access, that's a plus. Food in the Bibba's restaurant was very good, and not as pricey as I expected, being Hawaii. Directional signage in the hotel also left something to be desired. There was no map of the hotel given at check-in nor was there one in the room.
Bell staff was outstanding and were nost helpful.
Use the express check-out if you can. The wait for that was almost as long as for check-in. They need to have separate locations for this.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room. They are larger and have a bigger balcony that's on two sides of the room...

1,063 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This hotel is excellent in every way!!! You really don't need to leave the hotel except for the beach and shopping. The exchange is convenient and economical. The view of the grounds and beach were breathtaking!! The staff were friendly and accommodating. The room was clean and big. The beds were comfy. The food in the Koko Café was excellent. The luau food and entertainment was exciting and fun. We enjoyed the magic show. The comedy show was ok. I won a free Pearl Harbor tour and a free lunch. I want to stay here every time I visit Honolulu!!!

Captain Cook, Hawaii, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

If I could, I would give this hotel an extra 1/2 star. We would normally not qualify to stay at this military hotel except that the hotel was hosting an event and my husband was one of the guests of honor. As such, we were allowed a brief stay. The grounds are beautiful and the location can't be beat....just a short walk to the beach. The rooms were very nice and clean. The only downside to our room was it faced the garden/lawn area and there was some sort of LOUD air intake equipment off our lanai. This rendered our lanai unusable. The noisy equipment also meant we could not turn off the a/c and sleep with our sliding door open (preferred by me). The only other hitch was they goofed on our billing and we never got it straightened out. They process a lot of people. Scrutinize your bill and skip the express checkout if there might be any problems. After you've checked out, it's too difficult to fix the errors. As for the food.... I'm not sure if the buffet food served at the event was prepared by the hotel. If so, it was AMAZING. We ate breakfast at one of the hotel restaurants. Most all of our party had the buffet breakfast...they all said it was really good. My breakfast, off the menu, was also very good. With so many expensive, horrible places to stay in this area, the Hale Koa was very reasonable. The food was pricey, but that's to be expected in Honolulu.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away of the air intake units. Scrutinize your bill and skip the express check out. Er...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed for a quick five day jaunt to Hawaii. The location can't be beat, it shares a beach with the Hilton Hawaiian Village so tours are quite convenient and all the amenities you could want are very close. The rooms are average, very "billeting" feeling. The staff is only okay, not terribly friendly but not unfriendly. The food was absolutely horrible. We ate at three of the restaurants and everything was very expensive and very bad. I feel like you could probably get a comparable hotel for around the same price.

Rockledge, fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Love this hotel. Beautiful grounds. Rooms were average but nice and always clean. We stayed in the deluxe ocean front which had amazing views, large picture window facing ocean and private balcony facing Fort Derussy Park, Waikki, and mountains.

The exchange on the property is great for anything ranging from sunscreen to grocery items to souvenirs at a much cheaper price then ABC stores.

The luau was outstanding! Fantastic time and great food. We did not want the dancing to ever end. The Luau at the Hale Koa is much cheaper then many of the others in the area.

Only ate one dinner on property and that was enough. Tried KoKo Café and was hugely disappointed. I tried seafood buffet which was horrible even the desserts were bad. My husband had a burger which was dry and tasteless. The service was slow and the prices were high. Would not recommend.

Check in line is very long every day so expect a long wait when checking in. The line seems to start around 2pm and lasts long into the evening.

We can’t wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
NEW YORK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I stayed at this hotel 2 nights in April , had a great time . This hotel is more family oriented , not lots to do at night . But we had fun walking to the strip and checking out all the wonderful stores and great places to eat. Waikiki beach is beautiful , I did not want to leave this beach at all , could have spent my entire vacation there . The best part of our stay was the Luau, oh boy, what fun. The food was ok , but the show was fantastic , we totally enjoyed every performance, not to mention the good looking men in the show ...wow . This hotel as I mentioned is great if you have a family, the grounds are beautiful and the atmosphere is definetly a family setting. I would definetly go back for the Luau and the beach , but If I were to travel without children I would probably not stay at this hotel .

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We've stayed in Waikiki several times and I was often asked why we never stayed at the Hale Koa since I'm eligible. So we gave it a try and decided that one visit is enough for us. It may just have been the staff we interacted with, but the lack of the "aloha spirit" was evident. The room itself was adequate and clean, but was located next to a very loud, heat generating air handler that made the lanai unusable. For future visits, we'll go back to comparably priced, better lodging in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the noisy air handler.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hale Koa Hotel? Share your experiences!