“Nice stay near world famous Waikiki beach” 4 of 5 stars

Ewa Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2555 Cartwright Road, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #64 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
“Nice stay near world famous Waikiki beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

It was a business trip (took part in a conference together with my spouse) so we were looking for a hotel to spend there only night hours. Unfortunately, our travelling budget was not grate, so when we found EWA Hotel for such a nice price we were really glad.
What we adored in this hotel:
1. Location. Near Waikiki beach (3 minutes walk), bus stop to every place you want on Oahu in 1 minute walk, a lot of shops and restaurants in pedestrian acces.
2. Room was comfortable, everything a traveller need (if your aim is to walk aroand, not siting in hotel)
3. Very friendly and helpful stuff (free lemon water in the entrance hall was perfect)
The only thing I wish to be improved is WiFi connection:really poor. But you have MacD in 3 minutes walk.;)
So I really recomend this nice hotel for unfussy travellers! p.s. Waikiki on this side is much calmer and less crowded

Room Tip: Some rooms are situated on the roof, 7th flor
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Jennifer B, Manager at Ewa Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Aloha Александр П,

Thank you so much for your review of EWA Hotel Waikiki. We are currently in the process of re-evaluating our WiFi provider and have made recommendations with our owners. Hopefully the next business trip you have here in Waikiki, we will have a much stable and stronger WiFi. I am glad to hear that you found our hotel convenient and calming. Please give us a call directly at 808-922-1677 should you have another business conference here in Waikiki. Thank you!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Great to have a budget alternative in pricey Waikiki. The staff were very friendly & helpful. The room was basic, but comfortable and met our needs. Wifi should be free. If Asia can do it, so can USA.

Room Tip: There is a floor with pets! I wouldn't choose that unless I had a pet! No views, so I'd just...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Aloha JTCoffs,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay here at EWA Hotel Waikiki. I will definitely bring your suggestion of free WiFi with our owners. Please give us a call directly at 808-922-1677 should your travels bring you back to Hawaii.

Gold Coast, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

We recently spent 2 nights at Ewa Hotel and we will NEVER return. To begin with, the room smelt. Like years and years of smoking that no amount of deodorizer could disguise. The "king" bed was two singles pushed together that would separate throughout the night. The air-conditioner would randomly switch off which made for a hot, uncomfortable sleep. We booked this place based on some of the good reviews we had seen on here however we we're sorely disappointed. The service was also below average. We had a misunderstanding with the wrong credit card being charged (we had asked for a different card to be used on check in) however when we went down to discuss it the guy on the desk couldn't care less and I was made to feel as though it was my mistake.. His words "what do you want me to do, give you a refund and charge the other card?". HE WAS SO RUDE!!
For the price, we weren't expecting luxury however we have stayed at cheaper places on this trip that we're FAR better. We definitely won't return.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Aloha mooshiemoo,

I am very sorry to hear of your experience here at EWA Hotel Waikiki. I wonder if you had mentioned the smell of the room and the AC to anyone during your stay - as we would have done everything within our power to move you to a different room, or if not possible - do something with the smell and fix your AC. I will definitely speak with our Front Desk staff again regarding your comments that "they could care less" as this is not what we want our guests to think of us. Should your travels bring you back to Waikiki - I hope you would give us another chance.

Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the value and service we received. We were staying in Waikiki for a function over the weekend and said, "we'll just stay in a cheap flea bag since we will only be there to sleep". Our experience couldn't have been further from that statement. When I arrived the gentleman at the front desk was extremely courteous and helpful. I needed parking but the hotel lot was sold out (they have a very small lot) but he provided me with detailed info on parking at another property near and at the zoo which was less than a block away. In the end he went out of his way to get me parking right there at the hotel.
This is an older hotel but all of the rooms have been renovated and updated. They rooms are very clean and well maintained. The air conditioner appeared to be new worked great which is a big plus to us. There are only two minor negative comments I have to make are the lack of parking on property and the noise level on the front side of the hotel in the morning when people are checking out out (in the hotel's defense this is in any short rise hotel in Waikiki).
We will stay here again and recommend it to anyone we know looking for a room in this price range.

Room Tip: All of the rooms vary in size, layout, etc. I would request a room on the back side of the hotel si...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Aloha James M,

Thank you so much for posting a review of your recent stay at EWA Hotel Waikiki. I am glad to hear that we were able to accommodate your car at the property. Unfortunately, parking is always a premium in Waikiki as we don't have the space to build out or grow our parking. I will definitely share your review with the staff. Thank you again for your kinds words and we hope that you will come and visit us here at EWA Hotel Waikiki soon. Please give us a call directly at 808-922-1677.

Kennesaw, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I would like to start by saying that the line "you get what you pay for" does not apply here. I paid the same for a different hotel in Waikiki last year, and had a great experience. I made the mistake of wanting to try something new here...

We booked 4 rooms. Two of them had kitchens. They cost the same, and I was expecting them to be the same. They were not. One had a big window/door that opened to a balcony, and the other looked like a dungeon. The window looked like what I imagine to be a prison window. It was dark and very very smelly.

But do not think the other room with kitchen was a lot better. The toilet was clogged. And after they came to fix it, it was not fixed, and we were told... nothing, just that it was not "totally" fixed.

When I asked where I could hang my clothes, they told me to use the closet... but there wasn't one! And the floor had random spots that were wet. Plain wet that your feet could feel it.

When we complained about all of it, they said they had no rooms available to switched us. So we changed hotels. And I sometimes read reviews of people who have to change hotels on the day they arrive, and I wondered how they could do this. Now I know: a lot of will to scape hell. Even after flying from MI and GA to HI, we still had the energy to leave this place.

Of course it was not simple. The people at the desk were less than helpful. For example, they just started a conversation on the phone when I was in the middle of a sentence. Finally they agreed to refund us the WHOLE reservation if we leave by 9 pm. And we were more than ready to do so, so we left. But then when it was time to see our refund, we had to again call Expedia 3 more times to get the first day refunded.

So it could have been a nightmare, but we ended up at the Hilton (Prince Kuhio), so I quickly forgot about all this trouble. I did think you all should know about this place.

Room Tip: Do not stay there.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Jennifer B, Manager at Ewa Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Aloha Ligeia_ppgl,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience about your recent stay at EWA Hotel Waikiki. I hope that you will accept our sincere apology for failing to meet your expectations and for the inconveniences that you endured. I truly value your patronage and appreciate your honest feedback. When guests complain and want to move rooms - we try to accommodate them as much as we can but most of the times, the hotel runs full so we are unable to move you to a different room. The studio category is also priced based on the kitchenette in the room and some of our studios does offer a balcony but that is not guaranteed and does not affect the price of the room. In the end, I am glad to hear you were able to find an alternative accommodations that suited your needs more.

Palm Harbor, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

I have stayed twice here and was perfect. The rooms are clean roomy very comfortable bed. Most/many rooms have a kitchenette. The price is reasonable. The location is great. Is at the quiet east/Diamond Head end of Waikiki. Just steps from great beaches,Kapiolani Park and the zoo. The staff very nice. I like the location for going for a walk and going to the quieter beaches right there

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Jennifer B, Manager at Ewa Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Aloha Dave34683,

Thank you for your kind review of your recent stay at EWA Hotel Waikiki. Will definitely share your comments to the staff. The location and our friendly staff are the top reasons why you should stay at EWA. Should your travels bring you back to Hawaii, please contact us again at 808-922-1677.

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

A friend arrived at reception around 10am after a 9 hour flight (sleepless) to check in. She was crying, extremely tired and desperate for a place to sleep. Nevertheless she told there is no chance to check in until 3pm that day and she couldn't wait in lobby, there was "nothing we can do".
While I understand Ewa have policy they work to, surely they could have done something!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Jennifer B, Manager at Ewa Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Aloha deryk_p,

I am saddened to hear about what happened to your friend. We often check in guests as early as possible if we have rooms available at the time they arrive at the hotel. Sometimes, it is unfortunate that we actually don't have rooms available between the hours of 10am to 1pm if we have been sold out from the night before and the other guests have until noon to check out and we need time to clean the rooms. When a room checks out and we know someone is waiting in the lobby we have that vacant room rushed right away so we may check in the guest right away. Please ask your friend to contact me directly at 808-922-1677 so I may personally discuss her situation and I may be able to find out when exactly she checked in so I can find out who may be working that morning.

Hotel Manager

Been to Ewa Hotel? Share your experiences!