“Great Hotel In The Middle Of Waikiki” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach

Save Saved
You added Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach to your Saves list
Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2335 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815-2941 (Waikiki)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Hixson, Tn.
“Great Hotel In The Middle Of Waikiki”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

After our NCL Hawaiian cruise, we had a room booked at the Outrigger Waikiki for two nights, to finish up our vacation in Hawaii. We were very pleased with this hotel. Our cruise came in early, and I had requested an early check in. When we got to the hotel (9:30 a.m) our king ocean front room was not ready- but the lady offered us a deluxe ocean front-for $50 a night more. (She didn't push the upgrade on us at all- but just ofered it to us for an early check-in.) We decided to go ahead and upgrade- so that we could get settled in our room. (That was nice- a 6 hour ealier check in.) The deluxe ocean front room was beautiful! It was not a huge room, but it was very nice. It had a jacuzzi in the room, and a huge shower. We had a safe. The king bed was very comfy. We had a refrigerator and coffee maker. (but no microwave- to my surprise- but no big deal) We had a nice desk with a place for our laptop and internet access and calls to anywhere in the US are included in the roooms. We had scales in the bathroom- which came in handy for us to weigh our luggage before our flight out (to make sure had not exceeded our 50 lb. limit with all the souvenirs we bought.) We had a nice ocean front balcony with comfortable rocking chairs! I enjoyed just sitting our there and watching the surfers, boats, and all the beach action. Breakfast was included with our room, so we ate at the Hoola Grill one morning and the other morning had a wonderful breakfast buffet at Duke's Canoe Club. These resaturants are right on the beach, and are very relaxing. We had dinner at Duke's one evening (I had reserved us a table several days in advance-thus we didn't have an hour wait like most people did.)
We could not keep the room as cool as we like it to be. We had the thermostat set for 65, because we sleep better in a cool room- but I don't think it got much cooler than 72- but it was fine. However- the halls and elevators had no air conditioning at all. With no air flow the halls had a very stuffy smell. Everyone in the elevators was complaining about the heat.
This hotel is right across the street from The International Market Place. That was a great place to get some souvenirs. (lots of jewelry) The hotel is right next to the Cheesecake Factory- yum! But it is right in the middle of EVERYTHING and it gets very crowded on the beach and on the street.
So if you are looking for a quiet place to relax, you might look elsewhere than Waikiki. We were only there 2 nights, but if we had been there for a week- I would look for someplace a little quieter.
The pool was great with comfortable chairs.
All in all- we were very pleased with the friendliness and cleanliness of the hotel. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to be in the action with great restaurants and super service!

2,820 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (709)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
san jose, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

Just came back from a 6 nights stay at Outrigger Waikiki from 5/23 to 5/29 for our 10th anniversary. I was quite worrying before we went when reading the review regarding the noise. The street was very busy, you can hear the drum in your room if you have the balcony door opened, but once you close the balcony door, it is not a problem at all. My 4 year old is a light sleeper. With the balcony door shut, he slept all 6 nights through without single wake-up.
The location of the hotel couldn't be better. It is so convenient, you can walk to anywhere you want to go. There are tons of restaurants in walking distance, both Duke's and Hula Grill are great. The hotel staff are all polite and helpful. Room is very clean. The beach in front of the hotel is super nice. Sand is baby powder soft. Pool is small but well-maintained. We never have problem finding a chair.
I will definitely stay in Outrigger Waikiki when we visit Oahu next time.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

I recently stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki MAY 2009 and definately would not recommened it to anyone. Out of the 4 hotels that are on the beach in this area, the Sheraton, Royal Hawaiian, Outrigger, and the Westin... the Outrigger by far is the worst.

To start, the check in process was akward. We sat down at the front desk and were given a speach about the rules of the hotel by the front desk clerk and told that if we broke any of the rules we could be charged. At this point I should have known something was up and changed hotels, but didnt (and by the way we are 2 adults in our 30's and 40's..not 2 college kids on spring break, it was very weird). We were then told that check in time was 3pm and they could not give us our room yet..The time was 2:58pm..for real..I couldnt beleive it. I mentioned to her that I could wait 2 minutes till 3pm. that it wasnt a problem (IT WAS 2 MINUTES AWAY).

The room's are not nice..period. We had an ocean view room on a high floor. And by ocean view you should be advised that this would be considered a partial ocean view at any other hotel. Next to the hotel is a small shopping center that has giant fans on their roof that run 24 hours a day. You can sit on your balcony but you have to TALK REALLY LOUD....sooo relaxing.

A big issue with the room(for me that is)...is that the air conditioner CANNOT be adjusted and is motion controlled. Therefore, you are stuck with the hotels setting. The air shuts off completely when there is no motion in the room..such as when you leave..or when your sleeping...ITS HAWAII...it gets HOT..think about it.

I don't understand the facination with Duke's restaurant on the other posts. Its not that good and the service sucks. The food is about the quality of Applebees and its priced much higher. The bartenders are rude and you cant take your drinks out on the beach. We would try and wait in line for a drink or getting a bite but usually get frustrated with either the line or the rude staff and end up walking over to the Royal Hawaiian's beachside bar/restaurant. The service there was much better and the food a lot better and it really wasnt that much more $$. The Royal Hawaii'an has really great Mai Tai's too.

As far as the beach goes..ITS PACKED. The outrigger charges about $45 per day for a beach chair and umbrella. But you have to get down to reserve in by 7:30 in the morning or else they all sell out.

Its just not a nice hotel. I made a mistake choosing this hotel over the others (Westin, Sheraton, Royal Hawaiian) because it was a little less expensive than those. However when you figure the $25 per day parking and $45 per day beach umbrella, plus the Huge annoyance of the rude staff and just not nice hotel..ITS NOT WORTH IT.

Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

Just got back from a 7 night stay at the Outrigger Waikiki. I give a huge thumbs up to the hotel. My only drawback is that the noise in the rooms is an issue. We had a 15th floor "city view" room that overlooked a massive fan over a shopping mall next door and the main street on Waikiki (and an obnoxious and super bad street drummer as well as noisy airconditioning in the room. ) I suggest bringing earplugs.

Food at the hotel was great, we had two lunches and two breakfast buffets at Dukes and one dinner at Hula Grill (did not try Chuck's.) We were daily regular's at the ABC store across the steet for snacks, drinks, t-shirts, flotations mats/tubes and such. As far as other food, there is so many restaurants within walking distance, it is great. We loved the food at the Yardhouse on Beachwalk.

We spent most of our time either at the pool or renting the beach umbrella's/chaise lounges for the day on the beach, $40/day if staying at the hotel. The beach in front of the hotel is just amazing. You can walk out (without reef shoes - there are hardly any rocks at all.) The water is warm and clear. Great view of Diamond Head. We booked the snorkeling tour on the Outrigger Catamaran which you can catch in front of the Outrigger Reef up the beach (about a 10 minute walk up the beach.) We saw lots of turtles on this trip.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel but be picky what side of the hotel your room is on and know that the air conditioner is pretty loud.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
North East England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2009

My wife and I stayed in this hotel in May 09 on our first trip to Oahu. The location of the hotel is excellent on Waikiki beach and is close to all the amenities and transport links. Watch out for paying for an ocean view room, as this is actually a partial view, with the neighbouring hotel preventing a full view. The only actually full ocean view rooms are the even more expensive 'ocean front' rooms- which is what we paid almost £500 upgrade for with Virgin and this was what we thought we were getting, but didnt, so we are taking that up with Virgin holidays.
The Island itself is beautiful and Waikiki is great fun. The people we met in general were lovely and couldn't fault most of the staff at the hotel.
Dukes restaurant in the hotel is very popular and is full to the brim most nights. We were messed around when reserving and waiting for tables even though we were staying in the hotel. If you just turn up and want a table for dinner you will be looking at 1hour 15mins plus. The food good, but the place just seems like it needs to be cleaned more thoroughly, with Pigeons flying all around the food at breakfast time. The breakfast is good, especially the omelette station.
Hula Grill is also a nice restaurant, but some of the waiting staff are rude.
Chuck's steakhouse is nice.
All in all the best restaurant for breakfast is Hula Grill and for evening meals probably Dukes if you can get a table.
Onto the rooms- very dated now and the walls are paper thin, we had to move rooms as we were kept up all night by some idiots partying and then being sick from excessive alcohol consumption- I like to have a drink and party like the next person, but these guys were just so loud!!
The rooms are pretty small for what you pay and the bathroom isn't particularly clean- especially the shower.
The pool is small and there are limited beds or sun loungers, so get there early if you want one. Also- you have to pay the hotels own beach services if you want to rent a bed or umbrella on the beach- ridiculous for a 4 star and for the price these should be included.
This hotel could be so good with a face lift in the communal areas, new carpets, wall paper, bed linen and new bathrooms. The hotel staff are great in general, but the housekeepers don't clean the rooms brilliantly and the some of the staff in restaurants let the side down completely.
We had a great time, but that was definitely because of the island of Oahu, the Hawaiian people and location of the hotel. Next time we go to Oahu we will definitely stay at another resort. We usually stay in 5 star resorts, but our holiday to Mexico was cancelled last minute so we wanted to get away for some sun long haul and did a twin centre with Las Vegas and opted for a 4 star for the Oahu leg of the strip. I really wish we hadn't now!!

sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

i really enjoyed my stay in hawaii and the outrigger so much so that i'm actually going back and staying at the outrigger in august .I wouldn't stay anywhere else the staff where so lovely and helpful the food was great and was right on the beach.
you could walk anywhere as was close to everything, and every morning they have different activities in the foyer what else can i say i just loved it and cant wait till 31st july when i get back there.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

We spent 13 days at the Outrigger Waikiki in a City View room for $159/night.

Upon arrival we were greeted by the bellmen quickly and our luggage was removed from our rental. We were not parking at the hotel (instead we parked a few blocks away saving over a hundred dollars/week). They still quickly got all our luggage out and told us how to get to the parking garage that we were going to.

After dropping off our rental- check in was a breeze, fast and efficent. It was nice to able to sit down after over 8 hours of flying. They immediately sent for our bags to be brought up and as we stepped off the elevator our bellmen was holding the door to our room open with all our luggage already inside.

Our room was a city view room, RM 911, and it was spacious with 2 double beds and a pull out sofa. We were on the Diamond Head side and we did have a great city view BUT an EVEN BETTER OCEAN VIEW from our balcony. My husband LOVED sitting out in the morning and watching the ocean and the surfers. My kids loved the view as well. We had a HUGE walk in closet that had the safe and room for all our suitcases with a huge shelf that we called our pantry as we put all our stuff there from Wal-mart etc. The entire room was so clean, I am picky and the room was spotless. I was especially happy that the bathroom was so clean as well.

My husband used the gym many times and said that it was great. Many other hotels will charge for this service but it is included at the Outrigger.

We had no problem at all with any noise from any of our neighbors, I heard a toilet flush here and there but I have heard that in my own home! We were able to hear some music at night on the balcony IF we had our door open, once closed there was never a problem. We loved the free turn down service, after a day at the beach we would come back to our room, shower, change etc. When we returned from dinner we had fresh towels and the beds were turned down. A nice touch.

We took part in the FREE (many other hotels charge for this) lei making class. My husband and my kids LOVED it. We also took part in the FREE vow renewal, this was a lovely service and we were so happy that we took part in it. Highly recommend it to others as well.

The extra values of this hotel were the following-

*free coffee/tea in room
*free coffe available at Duke's for hotel guests and Duke's guests
*free internet
*free calls to US and Canada
*free local calls
*free vow renewal
*free turn down service
*free cultural activites
*free safe in room

The beach outside the hotel was the BEST beach around (we walked all along the beach, up to the Hilton and this truly is the nicest part). The ocean was warm and sandy, my 2 little ones LOVED it. We never had a problem finding a spot on the beach and we were on the beach at varying times but never extremely early. In fact we were always able to find almost the exact same spot no matter what time of day we arrived.. It was lovely to be able to be on the beach and hear the nightly entertainment from Duke's lofting in the air, especially on Sundays when Henry Kapono was there. I favorite memory for us all!

The pool was actually really warm, I was expecting it to be cold after a few of the previous reviews. We went in once as the kids preferred the ocean but it was a nice pool and we saw many people enjoying the pool. The hot tub was also nice, we used that a few times. We did not use the pool chairs at all we we spent the time on the beach BUT everytime we went down there to get to the beach there were always pool chairs available. It was never first thing in the morning either. Other reviews had said that it was impossible to get a chair or a spot on the beach without being there bright an early. For us this was not the case. The pool staff were great, fast and efficient with the towels etc.

As previous reviews noted, the restaurants onsite are great. We ate both at Duke's and Hula Grill many times and we were pleased with the food quality and value. My kids love the coconut syrup! and the Hula Pie!

This hotel is steps from everything(Location, location, location), tons of restaurants to chose from and shopping galore. You could not ask for a better location. Prior to our trip we were plannning on moving hotels for our final week but after checking out the other location (the Hilton) we decided to remain at the Outrigger for the entire time. The added values, the location and the service just could not be beat.

We would return to this hotel in a heart beat! and hope to soon!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Been to Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach? Share your experiences!