“The Best on Waikiki Beach” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort

You added Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort to your Saves list
Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2335 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815-2941 (Waikiki)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Use Promo Code & Save Now
Ranked #10 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Boulder, Colorado
“The Best on Waikiki Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

I have stayed in some of the finest hotels in the US and I would include this hotel in my top 10 list. After the valet took our car, we checked in at the reception desk. There is no impersonal counter with a ling line, rather, there are individual desks that allow you to sit and relax while you check in. We were offered passion fruit -scented chilled towels to wipe off the travel grime during our check in. We were immediately offered an upgrade. We were traveling with 2 children and my mother-in-law. We ended up with a corner suite with a pull-out couch, separate bedroom and 2 bathroms. I was impressed how new everything looked. No dents or scratches on the furniture or doors. Tastefullly decorated with plenty of room for the 4 of us. This suite is usually $1,300 a night. We paid only $350! The views of Diamond Head were spectacular. My mother-in-law also upgraded to a room with a jetted tub which she could bathe in while taking in a view of the ocean. She loved it.
We ate at the Hula Grill the first night. Tthe food and Mai Tai's were fabulous. A live band played island music in the bar while we dined. We had the buffet breakfast at Duke's. We could not have asked for a better selection of food; fresh fruit, made-to-order omelets, pancakes, bacon, POG and much more. We got up early and took a walk on the deserted beach. By noon there was plenty of action on the beach, but by no means crowded. My 10 year old daughter and I took surfing lessons at a cost of $25 each for one hour. Having surfed before, I thought this rate was a good deal. We caught so many waves, I lost count. The big plus at this hotel is having a pool and hot tub right on the beach. Towels were readily available to take to the beach. When the kids got cold from being in the ocean so long, they just hopped in the hot tub. We could sit and relax with Mai Tai in hand on the patio while we watched the kids. Lunch was so easy at Dukes. We called the kids out of the pool to take a lunch break. What could be better? No driving to find a place to eat. The lunch menu was great with something for everyone.
The shops at the hotel had a variety of items including island-themed clothes and jewelry. The staff was friendly and helpful. The location was perfect. I couldn't imagine staying at a better hotel in Waikiki.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (842)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Murphy, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2009

I have traveled all over the country singing and playing my trumpet with ensembles and I have never stayed in a hotel as wonderful as the Outrigger Waikiki. Last April I went there with my Choir group and they treated us with the upmost respect. Most people see a bunch of musicians intering a hotel and automatically assume that we are a bunch of huligans here to cause trouble. This was not the case with the Outrigger Waikiki. They treated us like royalty and it was absolutely wonderful! Not only was the staff great but the view is fantastic. If I ever get the chance to go back to Hawaii I will be staying at the Outrigger Wiakiki.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
Junction City,KS
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

This place is an absolute rip off. It is highly overpriced and extremely crowded. The pool is unuseable as the snow birds grease the palms of the cabana boys and reserve all the seating around the pool. The beach is out of the question as it is open to the public and by mid morning you can't get near it. Never rent a car there as they charge $25 per day to park. You can save tons of money if you move a block or two away from the beach and rent your vehicle on a daily basis. If you want to go to the beach, rent a car and go to the north shore. The in house resturant ( Dukes ) is good but nothing exceptional. I really think these people have so much business they aren't concerned with repeat guests. I know I won't go back!!!!

• Stayed March 2006, traveled as a couple
Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

We stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki for two weeks in January and had another wonderful stay! The hotel is close to everything Waikiki has to offer and has some of the best places to eat and enjoy some beverages. The pool is great to relax around and lunch at the sandwich shop just off the pool deck is fantastic. They make the best sandwiches fresh for you when you order. Rooms are very comfortable and roomy and the staff very polite. We will be back again for sure and can't wait.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Buffalo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

This hotel was satisfactory. Check in was very quick and easy. Desk staff very friendly. Paid for "beach view" but not that great. Small balcony, but room was comfortable. King size bed, couch, desk area. Only hear neighboring room once. Lots of room for personal items in divided bathroom and closet area. Maid service was great - but we make sure to tip everyday. Has great buffet breakfast which was free on our booking. Dukes and Hula Grill were very nice, good food, right on beach. HAVE THE HULA PIE. Never tried Chuck's. Beach area is very small and crowded. Pool area small too. Unfortunately, when we were there weather was not beach weather.
If you are flying to other island by way of Hawaiian Airline there is a check in located in the lower lobby. Checked in there and they took care of luggage from hotel. Great idea.
Waikiki is just very busy area. Lots of stores (ABC on every block). Jimmy Buffet's is near by. Took bus to Diamond head and hiked up. Don't miss this view. Of course Pearl Harbor was a must and very moving. International Market place is right across the street.
If you really want to shop for cheap souveniers go to the Aloha Stadium flea market on Wed, Sat and Sun.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

We recently stayed at this hotel for two nights on the back-end of a trip to Maui; the room cost was US$159 per night, and was fitted out with 2 queen size beds.

I don't have anything too negative to say here except that satisfaction here is directly related to what you pay for your room, if you pay too much for your room in the first place, then you will be very disappointing with what this hotel has to offer. It's a genuine 3 star hotel in every respect, 3 stars equals around $160 per night in my view and not a dollar more.

Also I would recommend withstanding all attempts to "up-sell" you to a room with a better view, the views are good (because the hotel is very well located) but not worth an extra $200 per night (yes double your tab), believe me the view won't compensate you for the very tired and run-down rooms (at least not for long).

On the service side we couldn't fault the staff, however re: the "famous Duke's" it needs a real big upgrade and the staff there need to wash their uniforms a lot more regularly; the food is very average the whole environment in fact is hugely over-rated, there are far nicer places to grab a drink or a bite to eat, give Duke's a miss.

Overall if you can get a cheap room and share it with family or friends it’s an ok place to stay one or two nights, but it's no more than that.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

We are from NW MN and this was a very long trip, BUT well worth it. The Outrigger Waikiki on the beach is a beautiful and clean hotel. I enjoyed getting up every morning at 6:00 AM and watching the sun come up and seeing all the surfers. When we checked in we did upgrade to a total ocean view, but it was well worth it!!! We were on the 4th floor, which was fine, BUT next time I would definately go much HIGHER to avoid the noise and a better VIEW. Food wise, Dukes was fun, BUT the food at the Hula Grill was much better. I also strongly recommend the Shorebird at the Outrigger Waikiki Reef Hotel, there is a coupon when you check in for a full price meal and half off the second, this was actually the least expensive meal we had, and alot of FUN cooking our own steaks on the grill overlooking the ocean!!!!!! Make sure you walk there on the beach, takes 5 minutes, if you take land might be 20 minutes and you may have to ask for directions!!! The International Market across the road and the stores near the hotel were like being in a large city. It was fun to walk the streets at night and shop or walk the beach. You dont have anything to worry about , the beach and streets are VERY safe!!! Would I go back, YES I am already planning my next trip!!!!! PS Make sure you do the Germaine Luau!!!!! Fun was had by all. Aloha my friends!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Been to Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort? Share your experiences!