“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort

You added Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort to your Saves list
Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2335 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815-2941 (Waikiki)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Use Promo Code & Save Now
Ranked #10 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Archdale, North Carolina
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Love the location! Rooms was large and very comfortable. Duke's breakfast bar is the bomb! Only complaint is the parking expense. I would never had splurged for valet but it seemed to be the only option - very convenient, yet expensive.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
OutriggerWaikiki, Manager at Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Aloha Laura316. Thank you spending your Hawaiian vacation at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. It is wonderful to hear that you had a great stay with us. Due to the very limited availability of space in the Waikiki area, almost all hotels charge guests a nightly parking fee or a resort fee for the use and maintenance of their garage facilities. Mahalo Nui Loa. We hope to welcome you and your `ohana back again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (842)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I stayed at the Outrigger on a dream trip for an 18 year old family friend. (I am 59) The hotel was really quite nice and our view was spectacular. It is a VERY crowded place in July and not really my cup of tea usually. The hotel staff was wonderful. I would recommend it for families and young people particularly. Surfing, paddle boarding, canoeing are all available right on the gorgeous beach. This is truly right where the action is if you are going to Waikiki Beach.
Wifi was free in the room but did go in and out sometimes.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Aloha Kim K. Thank you for staying at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach with your longtime family friend. Many of our guests will agree with you that this is right where the action is on Waikiki Beach. We are very happy to hear that you had a great time. Mahalo Nui Loa.
Brantford, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Where should I start in the plethora of things that have made me regret my picking this hotel for 8 nights? Let's start with the positive.

1. Staff were very friendly at check in and check out. Also because our flight was later and we had spent the day at the beach, the hotel has courtesy suites available for their guests that have checked out to shower and freshen up in. That was great!

2. Rooms were spacious and maid service was exceptional.

3. Convenient location of restaurants and shops in the lower lobby.

4. Excellent location of the hotel on Waikiki beach.

5. Unlimited calls to Canada and the rest of the 49 states for free.

Now for the negatives

1. The elevator system is the craziest, most ridiculous elevators I have ever encountered in a hotel. You need to tap your room key to a sensor and then enter your desired floor. you are then assigned to an elevator which when it gets to you, is usually full. so you have to scan again to be assigned to another elevator which may or may not be full. I spend 20 minutes once from the lobby, trying to get into an elevator. It was a waste of time and I don't know how the hotel operators think that this was a good idea.

2. Internet access was atrocious!! I was never able to consistently get onto the net and kept getting told there were too many users on the signed in. It was pathetic.

3. If you are renting a car, don't stay here. There is only valet available and the entrance to the hotel is terrible. It is one double driveway that you drive into and the valet takes the vehicle from you. First the parking is expensive at $35/day. Second there are constantly trucks, cabs and tour buses parked in front of this driveway so you are constantly waiting 10-15 minutes to finally get into the driveway. Third, there are so many pedestrians that don't stop to let you in and out that again, you are stuck until one of the valets decides to come over and help you. And last the valets themselves. They see you standing there with a valet ticket and they just continue on the other side of the driveway chatting away among themselves. Over the 8 days we were there, there was only one valet who consistently did their job properly and with a smile on his face. And if you are lucky, they will bring you the correct car. That's right, one morning they brought us the incorrect car.

4. Pool area was terrible. They have a small little square pool that seems like they don't treat the water with enough chlorine and algaecide. The water was cloudy and slimey. I ended up getting a respiratory infection and I honestly think it was from this water. Also the lower pool deck closes at 3 pm on the weekends and 4 on weekdays. So people come and kick you out of the chairs and send you packing so that they can set up duke's barefoot bar for dinner service. It was extremely busy on the beach and the upper pool deck that day and so our beach day was cut short and we went back to the room. I think this is a disgraceful way to treat your hotel guests who are paying an arm and a leg to stay here and use the facilities. Also the pool itself closes at 8 pm which I think is too early. Our family likes to swim at night, especially after a day out exploring, but we were not able to.

5. This area of Waikiki beach seems to be extremely busy. There were regattas when we stayed here right in front of the hotel. Wall to wall people and you could not find a place on the sand. Other days there were surf lessons, catamarans, outrigger canoes on the sand making it difficult to find a good spot.

Overall, I would not stay here again. I would go next door to the Moana Surfrider. It may be the same busy beach but you have the amenities that I did not receive adequately at the Outrigger.

Room Tip: Don't Stay Here if you are renting a car
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Aloha NurseElisa. Thank you for spending 8 nights at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. We are sincerely sorry to read that you would never stay here again. We appreciate that positive points you listed about our property, and we seriously pay attention to the negative points you listed as well. Our management team will discuss your review and promptly address the areas that require attention. Mahalo Nui Loa for your valuable feedback.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Maybe my expectations were too high but I found this hotel average and not good value for money. Yes, it is in a great spot and being beachfront was lovely but the rooms were very tired and small, the double beds were uncomfortable and the bathrooms were incredibly dated. The hotel is very busy and the beach in front the hotel was a zoo so we found ourselves walking further down the beach every day to find a spot to sit. We stayed in a ocean view room and the balcony was just big enough for 2 people to squeeze onto and not private in the least, the air conditioning was extremely loud and it was impossible to sleep with the doors open at night due to the noise from the bar underneath and people looking into our room from the neighbouring hotel. The pool area was crowded and we couldn't get a seat or a drink so gave up. Wi-Fi was very slow and on numerous occasions I was told that there were too many users and to try again later. Great location in the heart of Waikiki however on our next trip we will stay elsewhere as I do believe their is much better value to be had.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Aloha Hayze01. Thank you for choosing the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. We appreciate the feedback about your experience here. Being centrally located in the heart of urban Waikiki, our property is closely surrounded by many other hotels and businesses. Thus, it is no surprise to find an abundance of people on the beach, on the streets, in the restaurants and even on the balconies of our neighboring hotels throughout the day and night. We truly hope to see you on your next trip to Hawai`i. Mahalo Nui Loa.
sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I have stayed here a number of times and have never been disappointed. I had a big car accident before I arrived and had told the manager Robert. I arrived to the nicest card that just made my stay all the more special. Robert had written welcome home with a gift. I felt so at home after that.
The staff are all so friendly and welcoming.
I always get the ocean front room as I could sit on the balcony for hours just watching the sea.
Danny by the pool always friendly with his big smile.
Dukes is a must.
I really dont have anything negative at all to say as my two weeks was just what I needed.

Room Tip: If you can afford Ocean front the best
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
OutriggerWaikiki, Manager at Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Aloha kodySydney. Thank you for being a return guest of the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. It is our honor to be considered your home away from home. Our dedicated staff, from General Manager 'Robert' to Pool Attendant 'Danny', always go the extra mile to make guests feel safe, comfortable and happy every single day they are here. Robert and Danny value the friendships they have built over their many years with Outrigger and they are genuinely proud to welcome a familiar face back to paradise. Mahalo Nui Loa and A Hui Hou (until we meet again)!
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

My boyfriend and i stayed at the Outrigger in June 2014. When we arrived we were told that our booking had not been paid for, even after requesting to pay the booking in advance. This was really annoying as we had to then pay for the booking using our spending money. This is the only really negative thing i have to say about the hotel. We stayed in the Oceanfront Room on the 11th floor and if it is your first time in Hawaii, then i would highly suggest booking this room! Once we walked out to our balcony… WOW! the view was amazing. You honestly can't get a better view. Having said that, the cheapest rooms, mountain view, would also be as beautiful. If we were to stay here again, we'd book a mountain view room to save money and still have a breathtaking view.

The actual room was very nice and clean. i do think the hotel needs a bit of an update with technology. Reading heaps of the reviews before getting to the Outrigger, everyone notes the elevators. Yes, they were confusing at the start but once you understand how they work (entering the room number before you get in, instead of inside the elevator), they work fine… only if they were air-conditioned.

We arrived on a Monday so didn't have much noise from Duke's below. I think most of the noise actually comes from the Sheraton from Thursday through the weekend. Duke's are definitely not loud.

The best experience we had at the hotel was the help we had for the "travel-pro" from downstairs. i can't recall the lady's name but she helped us so much! my boyfriend and i wanted to ask a quick question about hiring a car…. 30 minutes later we had 4 days booked full of trips to the North and East shore and our car booked! fantastic!

Another good thing was when my boyfriend and i walked out of our room one night, the latch to lock the door closed behind us, locking us out. When we returned i honestly thought they would have had to take the door off! But 20 minutes later we had our door unlocked and still had a door.

Duke's was very nice. This hotel is all about LOCATION and Duke's is no different! we made a reversion the day before and we seated right in front of the beach. I got to tick this off my bucket list. The staff were great and the salad bar was great.

Overall, we were very happy with the Outrigger, besides the issue with the reservation at the start of the holiday, the rest of our stay was great. This would be a great place for families as its not too fancy so ill definitely be bring my kids back one day!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
OutriggerWaikiki, Manager at Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Aloha Rebecca N. Thank you for staying at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. We are sorry that there was an issue with the pre-payment of your reservation. Normally, all reservations made directly through the hotel's online website or toll-free phone numbers are not prepaid. While your credit card information is collected in order to guarantee the booking, no charges are processed on the card prior to your arrival. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your Oceanfront room on the 11th floor. It truly is the best place to take in the views of Waikiki Beach, the sound of the breaking waves and the beauty of a Hawaiian sunset. Duke's Waikiki is famous for featuring live local entertainment on our beachfront pool deck between 430pm-630pm every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Guests can enjoy the live music from their balconies during these times. We look forward to seeing you again with your `ohana. Mahalo Nui Loa.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

My family of 4 has wanted to return here since our short stay in 2009. We absolutely love it here. Great location and no resort fee!
We stayed over a weekend during Pan-Pacific Matsuri Waikiki and King Kamehameha Parade.
A bonus as we were unaware of these events happening while we were here.

We arrived in the evening during the block party. Kalakaua Avenue was closed, taxi not able to drop at hotel. Mae at check-in was very friendly and welcoming. We were upgraded from a partial ocean view to an ocean view room and stayed in room 1120. It is a side room and does not face directly south to Waikiki, but instead is on the east side and is angled to face toward the beach and ocean.

Our room, 1120, looked out over the surfboards by Duke's with a view of the ocean, mountains & city. I think our room was one room over from a partial ocean view, the view straight out was the building to the east.

The lanai was a wonderful place to sit at pre-dawn and watch the sunrise over the mountains and water. The building to the east blocks the sun.

The rooms are good sized, we had 2 Queens and a pull out sofa. All bedding was comfortable. There is a large closet area in the bathroom, that others have commented on. We really liked this space to store all our luggage. There were 3 luggage racks in here, plus room for our other 4 bags. Also, plenty if hangers and hooks. There was an additional good sized closet in the room. The bathroom itself was clean. The toilet and shower were separated from the sink & closet area by a door. The bathroom had the smallest bathtub I have ever seen, suitable for a child but not an adult.

Free internet worked great in the room and on lanai.

On the street level, there is an activities desk. Folks here were very friendly and helpful with directions and maps. Yes, they try to sell the Wyndham timeshare presentation.

We found this area very easy to walk around. Waikiki is a very clean and safe area.

The nearby Beachwalk area and Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center are great for dining options, shopping and people watching. Our family was sad to see the International Marketplace gone:(

Luggage storage efficient here. After check out we decided to enjoy more of the area before leaving. Bell Service very friendly and helpful arranging taxi.

ABC store is directly across the street for water & snacks. There is also a Market on the street level of the hotel.

Skip the Seattle's Best coffee in the Hotel, it needs an upgrade. Starbucks down the street in either direction.

Highly recommended to eat at Duke's for lunch or dinner, both are good. Ocean views while dining are a must.

Awesome Beach area. Great area for swimming and relaxing. An umbrella and two padded lounge chairs $30 for 3 hours.

Definitely will consider the Outrigger if in Waikiki.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Aloha wifam4. Thank you for choosing the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. Mahalo Nui Loa for your five-star rating of our property and for your compliments about our Activities Desk, luggage storage services and no resort fees. Please come back for another wonderful visit.

Been to Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort? Share your experiences!