“Fantastic Holiday with beautiful memories” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
AAA Member Offer
Ranked #26 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic Holiday with beautiful memories”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Aloha,
We stayed at The Grand Waikikian in September 2013 for 2 glorious weeks. I was very nervous prior to our travel as I had booked direct through Hilton Vacation Ownership and we had to do a timeshare presentation. I must admit I was checking trip advisor regularly to see if I could get a good understanding of the hotel. I was scared at some points with peoples reviews of the properties but just kept thinking that was their opinion only.
We arrived at the hotel at 9am to a lovely and hospitable welcome. Our room was not ready (which we had expected), so they let us shower and refresh on Level 8, which was just what we needed. So we hit the streets for breakfast with our buzzer in our hands waiting for our room. We got a beep at 1pm and we were in our room absolutely thrilled at what we had been given. I could finally relax.. it truly was fantastic and exceeded all my expectations. Dennis our personal concierge had already left a lovely message for us and we felt like all was going to be great... which it was.
The 2 Bedroom Apartment was fantastic and spacious. I have 2 boys with food allergies, so the kitchen was my best friend. It was well equipped with pots and pans. We had enough crockery and glasses for 6 people which was enough for us. In Bedroom 2 we had 2 double beds which was great and a king in the Master Room. Make sure you get above 7th floor if you are staying on the resort side as you do not want to be looking at the car park. I would have been so upset with that view, especially after travelling 11 hours from Australia.
The pool area is fantastic but very busy. My only complaint is that people would leave their towel on seats and leave the hotel. I had a couple do it in front of us. They left the grounds with their towels on the seats, then came back over an hour later. This is so not fair as you want to watch your children whilst they are playing in the pool. This might be something for the hotel to look into. (Very hard to control though). I said to my husband that the pool with the slides lacked poolside service. But on our last 3 days this became available with a cafe opening up. Fantastic to sit with a cocktail by the pool.
We did many tours, which were fantastic. The only downside to this is that we had to walk all the way to the tour desk on the other side of Hilton Hawaiian Village to get collected. At 6.30 or 7.45 in the morning and 2 kids this was a bit of a task. They should be able to collect you from Grand Waikikian entrance, It would make it a bit easier.

The location is a bit further out from Kalakahua Ave but it is an easy 15 min walk. If you want to be in the middle of it all then maybe this is not for you. We were happy with the location as it was a 10 minute beachside walk to Trump on Kalia RD, and a 10 minute walk in the other direction to Ala Moana Shopping Centre. We ended up buying a 7 day Waikiki Trolley pass that came in handy when my little boy was too tired to walk back.

It was time to do the Timeshare presentation. Coming from Australia we really didn't know much about it, but we were interested to find out. We did not feel at all under any pressure to buy. Melissa our agent was lovely and then we met Ron which was great. I just wish we had more information before we attended as we were not going to commit to a $30,000 purchase until I spoke to my accountant. I would have liked more information to bring home with me so I could investigate this option for us more closely. We were offered a deal to come back and stay by 2015, but didn't take it up at the time as i felt like information overload. I like to contemplate things before I jump in and buy. We decided to take up this offer as it would allow us to investigate time share more closely at Hilton. To this day I am still waiting on a response from phone calls, messages left prior to leaving Grand Waikikian,nand emails re this offer, which is pretty disappointing.

In Conclusion, we had the most amazing time on our holiday and it would have not been as memorable if it wasn't for the care to detail and patience of Linda Bade. She made our Hawaii trip so successful and we are now organising our next one. You will love your stay at Grand Waikikian. Mahalo

Room Tip: If you don't like noise, then don't book facing the resort side as the Luau was on nearly ev...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Korean first
Grovetown, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the Grand Waikikian tower for a week. My husband and I brought our two grown daughters with us. We all felt that we had died and gone to heaven! What a beautiful view we had from the 30th floor! The employees were all friendly and helped us with anything we needed. Such as,( my daughter left her curlers on and remembered on our way to a Luau) she called from her cell and they took care of the problem. I popped a button on the back of my dress, the desk attendant sent me a kit to repair ASAP. We could not have asked for better service. The two bedroom suite was gorgeous, of course the beds were clean and slept wonderful! Mahalo, Hilton Grand Vacations!!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

after moving from a 1 bedroom plus in the kalia tower, to a 1 bedroom plus in the grand waikikian, my disappointment was overwhelming . being a grand vacation owner, I know you get what you book and point pay for, so my kalia ocean view was just what I was expecting, but my grand waikikian plus, was so disappointing. when booking online, a 1 bedroom is a city view, a 1 bed plus is a ocean view, and a premier is an ocean view/front. we have stayed in the GW several times before and all times have booked a plus, having a view of the ocean. this visit we were on the road side, with a view of the neighbouring Iliki hotel and the road towards red lobster. if you leaned out over the balcony the ocean could be viewed . after phoning to complain , I was told I would have needed premier view to assure the ocean was my view. this needs to be addressed because all other visits I have booked a plus and had ocean, the description needs to be changed so there are no misunderstandings. I would have been better off saving my points and only booking a 1bedroom, because you can't get any less view than the road. all in all, a bitter sweet end to another wonderful stay in Hawaii.

Room Tip: make sure to check what PLUS gives you when you book, as there is no PLUS about a noisy road view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
hiltongrandvacations, Manager at Grand Waikikian Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you very much for staying with us during your most recent visit to Honolulu, Hawaii. Thank you also for taking the time to share your experience and thoughts with us. We are happy that you were able to enjoy the time especially in our Kalia Tower rooms. With the Grand Waikikian, as we have many different types of rooms for different number of guests and rooms, as well as a varying range of points, we really do try to make all of our owners happy, but unfortunately, we cannot always manage to do that. We were pleased that your come often and still love our Hawaii.

Your invaluable input regarding wording for descriptions has been passed onto the appropriate department. We look forward to seeing you in the near future, and hope that we have the room type and view you are looking for at that time.

Mahalo

John R. Reagan
Resort Manager
Seaford, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Was on a business trip to Honolulu and found the Hilton Hawaiian Village a very good value for money. The location to the Waikiki area is superb. I found that getting around that area was pleasant. Lots of good shops and plenty of places to eat. I recommend the Hilton property to anyone while visiting the island of Oahu.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Great property, too bad the front desk customer service isn't up to Hilton standards. Room was great, amenities great. On day of check out received late check out (in writing) until 1 pm. At 12:20 front desk called to tell me they were charging me $150 since I was not out by noon. I told them about late check out, but they did not care and insisted on charging me anyway.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Very nice resort. Fantastic shopping experience since you can just walk downstairs and the world is at your fingertips. Free DVD rentals. They charge you for umbrellas and chairs (hefty rental fee) if you decide to go to the beach. The pools are very congested. Location is key however. Parking per day fee; however, you can go in and out at no extra cost.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Is the Grand Waikikian better than the lagoon tower ?
partial ocean view is a joke , I am in 2312 maybe you can see a bit of ocean if you hang over the balcony and crane your head. The Lagoon tower has better ocean views. You can not hear the annoying nightly luau from the GW , so that is a plus ! There is no direct way in to this building, you seem to have to walk around or thru the Lagoon tower lobby. There should be an entrance closer to the front of the property. I am not trying to sound lazy but if you like hanging out at the pool - making several trips to get supplies during the day , this can get annoying ! The rooms are nice the TV's are way too small , as much money as they spent on this property the TV's in the room are pathetic ! again this year I am VERY DISSAPOINTED with the number of umbrellas at the pools , none of the pool have any or enough umbrellas. HILTON , not everyone wants to bake in the sun all day. Spend $200.00 each and but some damn umbrellas !!! If you want to come here to relax and do nothing besides hang at the pool, this can be a MAJOR bummer, almost enough to make one not want to come back ! They re-did the TAPA pool , I don't like it as much. It used to be more secluded now people can get in from both ends of the pool ( it used to be only open at the bar end ) so it is busier. The beds in the one bedroom are kind of small for two people, I am guessing the are queen, king would have made a big difference. I would not mention the small things but this is a HILTON GRAND VACATIONS CLUB , I just expect a little better of the small things. overall it is a nice place, and I would recommend it - as long as you don't want to find a shady spot by the pool, if you do call ahead and see if the bought damn umbrellas !

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
hiltongrandvacations, Manager at Grand Waikikian Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Aloha and thank you for recent feedback regarding your stay with us. Again I apologize for the inconveniences you had during your stay and am very happy we were able to speak regarding these issues via phone. We hope to see you in Hawaii soon.

Kind Regards,
Vincent Jongert
Front Desk Manager

Been to Grand Waikikian Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations? Share your experiences!