“Great place for the kids” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
AAA Discount
Ranked #21 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
White Rock, Canada
“Great place for the kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Beautiful hotel with a great pool for the kids. Lots to do on the property. Lagoon and beach right there. Only problems we had were with the valet. They have a scanner that you scan to get your vehicle, we were there for 8 days and it only worked 2 times. Would much rather had a human at the desk. At $33 a day you should be getting personal attention. Also had a problem with ants in our room and the washer/dryer did not work that well. Not a big deal. Room was clean and was cleaned daily which I was suprised with as it is a condo.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Korean first
Deer Park, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

As a regular visitor to Honolulu, I make it a point to spend a few days "in town" at the Hilton Hawaiian Village to be exact. This was my first time to the Grand Waikikian and out of all the towers I have stayed in, this one was the best. Unlike some other comments, I found the "bar staff" specifically Scott and the Tropics bar, to be outstanding. No doubt about it. I am returning on the 19th fo a few days and made reservations again. My only concern is that the do not put me anywhere but the Grand Waikikian. This time I may actually buy some points!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Maplewood, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I have stayed at this resort for 12 years and for the past 3 years at this tower, which is one of Hilton's timeshare properties. I have found it to be excellent. The rooms are great. I believe they are all suites. The kitchen is fully stocked, washer/dryer. There are markets nearby to stock up. The property is great in that it is centrally located, but still feels like a resort once you step inside. The lagoon and swimming pool are amazing. I would highly recommend this property to anyone not budget conscious.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

As timeshare owners, my wife and infant son stayed at the Grand Waikian earlier this year in January. While the vacation itself was nice, I figure it is about time that I listed my long standing grievances with this Hilton property.

The one constant detraction from this resort and my experience at Grand Waikian is the checking in and room assignment. Like most people, we had requested that where possible, we be put on a higher floor. We understand that this request cannot be accomodated all the times but asking for a higher floor at the Grand Waikikian is like dental surgery.

First of all, it was clear that the Hilton staff had absolutely no intention of even trying to accomodate this request. I received a brief nod and after various clicks on the keyboard, the Hilton staff provided me with a room key and tried to send me on my way. The fact that she made no mention of the room number as she attempted to send me off immediately tipped me off and when I checked the card holder, I think we had been assigned a room on one of the lowest floors possible. I immediately returned and asked about the high floor preference and was met with a most disgusted look and informed that "a higher floor is not a right". Arguing that the lower floors may make it difficult for my son to sleep, the Hilton staff relented and promptly put us on the 25th floor (which was obviously open). I can honestly say it appeared that this simple gesture for her was absolute torture for her and this is how we had to start our vacation. This was not first time having this type of experience with the Hilton staff and I suspect it won't be my last.

On that note, reading TripAdvisor and similar sites, I always thought it was funny how many people complained that Grand Waikikian (and other HGVC properties) was geared for Japanese tourists and Japanese tourists received preferential treatment. Speaking of my own experiences as a Japanese national and those of many of my friends here in Japan, I want to assure those reading this post that nothing could be further from the truth. If anything, due to the language difficulties and the cultural reluctance for Japanese people to complain, I would argue that Japanese tourists often get the short end of the stick.

Lastly, before I forget, my wife was 4 months pregnant during our time and was suffering from morning sickness on the day that we were checking out. I explained the situation to the front desk and asked for a delayed checkout and was promptly denied due to "being busy". As my wife was ill, I even mentionned that I was an Elite member, but once again, denied. I guess in that sense, the Hilton staff are consistent in treating both Elite and non-Elite members poorly.

As a HGVC owner, I am not happy having to post this negative review of a property that I own and frankly, I really do not expect that anything will change by this post aside from some template response from management. That being said, I really do believe that Hilton should make at least some effort to train their staff to provide even a minimal level of service.

In closing, oddly enough, in my experience, I thought that all of the other HGVC properties actually provide much better service. Considering the costs and popularity of the Hawaii properties, I certainly expected Hilton to better services its guests, regardless of nationality.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
hiltongrandvacations, Manager at Grand Waikikian Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thank you very much for staying with us. We really appreciate the time you took to write up your thoughts and experiences while staying with us. I have forwarded your comments about room assignment and late check out requests and attitude of the staff to the appropriate department heads so we can all improve our service and be able to provide better guest experience.

In regards to both room assignments and late check outs, we are honestly hard pressed to provide all of our owners and guests with all of their requests all of the time. With the high occupancy we operate under and with the limited number of rooms in each category, we are not able to honor all requests. Unfortunately, at times for some owners and guests, we are not able to honor any of their requests. In your case, I am glad the front clerk was able to assist you by moving reservations around to be able to accommodate you on the 25th floor, and apologize for the way the clerk did not have the proper aloha spirit and welcome.

All Hilton Grand Vacations Club and Hilton properties are made to welcome all guests, regardless of their nationalities or race. We always try to help all of our owners and guests all of the time. Language can present a difficulty for some guests due to our staff’s different levels of language skills, but we try to assist and help all of our guests all of the time.

Thank you very much.

John R. Reagan
Resort Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Parking is expensive. If you like the freedom of driving yourself around the island, try to limit the car rental time instead of the whole length of stay. The traffic is not worth driving daily. The stay was worth every day. Very convenient. The resort even has a Postal Contract Unit incase you have to mail home something instead of taking it on the plane. My wife loves the resort so much that we will definitely come back soon. Hilton Hawaiian Village is within a walking distance to shopping and nightlife makes it an ideal place for peaceful vacation and having it all.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
hiltongrandvacations, General Manager at Grand Waikikian Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Aloha and thank you for your comments. Indeed the property size is 22 acres and is full of restaurants and over 90 shops, a luau, family and kids’ activities, wildlife, a post office, four different pools to enjoy, and the Duke Paoa Kahanamoku Lagoon or the beach. Its location is close to the Ala Moana shopping center which is about a 10-15 minute walk in one direction or take a 10-15 minute stroll on the beach which will take you into the heart of Waikiki in the other direction. If walking is not an option, there are taxis staged on property, trolley and bus stops right in front of the Hilton Hawaiian Village to take you to your next destination. We hope you and your wife come back and visit us real soon!

Grant M. Nouchi
Assistant General Manager
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We enjoyed every aspect of our stay here. The beds were great, the suite was excellent, and the pool was a lot fo fun! Everything was as indicated. No complaints at all. Did not go to the luau, but it certainly sounded fun - did not go too late to bother anyone, though.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

My husband and I are HGVC owners and frequently stay at the HHV whenever we are in Waikiki. We haven't been for many years and our last stay was actually in the Lagoon Tower (I have a previous review) which was nearly 7 years ago. This was long before the Waikikian was built.

A few weeks ago we decided to do a mileage run to get me up to the next level of status on my preferred airline. We chose Waikiki as our destination and decided to stay at the HHV. This was a short trip for us (4 nights) so we took advantage of "Open Season" and paid ridiculously low rates for our suite, vs. using our points. A tip to other HGVC owners: the points redemption at the GW are somewhat higher than in the Lagoon Tower or Kalia Tower. If you are visiting for less than a week, I strongly recommend looking into the Open Season option vs. points if this is your preferred tower. That said, the Lagoon and Kalia offer perfectly nice accommodations at a much better value, so if points are your thing, I would look there first.

As always, the service was impeccable. Everyone was friendly and accommodating from check in to check out. The room was also immaculate. We rented a two bedroom, partial ocean view and were placed on the 14th floor. Our view was of the marina and the lagoon. We could also see the rooftop luau. (Free show!)

Beds were comfortable and everything was spotless. My only gripe about the room would be the showers. The shower heads were a bit of a challenge to get just right. They use handheld shower heads that can be adjusted to your height, which is nice. However the challenge is getting the angle right without having the handle crash to the floor. Not a deal breaker or anything to really complain about, but would be nice if the shower heads were more traditional and not the handheld type.

Where I do have a moderate gripe is with regard to the wi-fi. For all owners and guests of HGVC wi-fi connectivity is free, however the connection strength is poor. In fact, poor doesn't do it justice. It was terrible. It was impossible to stay connected for longer than 30 seconds at a time before having to log-in again. If you want to stream video (watch a netflix video on your iPad for example) forget about it. At the most I think we had 2 bars of strength, which wasn't consistent. I ended up using my 3G for internet connectivity instead.

My other gripe (and this is a big one) is the pool. I totally get that it's Hawaii and with this resort in particular, it is very kid friendly. I don't have children and I fully expected to see lots of kids at the resort. However, the GW pool is the only one on the property with a water slide and water slide = lots of kids. There were so many in the pool/around the pool it was impossible for me to enjoy myself and relax. In the past there used to be an adults only pool in the Kalia Tower. I was actually looking forward to spending my time there but learned that it was no longer available as an option. We ended up at the beach, which was totally fine (it is Hawaii afterall) but it would have been nice if the HHV dedicated a pool just for adults. Hopefully the absence of an adults only pool is only temporary.

The other issue with the pool is with respect to the reserving of lounge chairs. We also own at Starwood and their policy is that if you leave your belongings unattended on the pool chairs for longer than an hour, they are taken away. Hilton has no such policy, at least that we could see was being enforced. People were arriving at early hours to 'claim their spot' and not returning until later in the day. This is incredibly obnoxious and inconsiderate behavior and a huge pet peeve of mine. I get that people can be/will be rude, but it's the job of the resort to ensure some sort of regulation around this. From what we could tell, this wasn't happening.

Finally, something should be said about the hours of their restaurants and bars. We arrived really late on a Friday evening. By the time we checked into our room it was after 11 pm. We were shocked to find that not a single bar or restaurant on the HHV property was open except for the Round Table Pizza. What bar closes at 11 pm on a Friday night? Especially if your goal is to keep people on property and the majority of Waikiki stays open until the wee hours, you would think they would want to compete. Apparently not. Granted we could have walked into Waikiki, but after a 5 hour flight (and two hour time difference) we weren't exactly up for a stroll into town.

We did really enjoy Tropics, though we never ate in the restaurant itself. We enjoyed live music in the lounge and snacked on pupus. Drinks were expensive, but strong and the pupus tasty.

Overall, this is a great place to stay. The GW is a great facility, but to be honest, any of the other HGVC towers will do. We will be back!

Room Tip: HGVC owners: If you can take advantage of Open Season, I strongly recommend that over using points t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
hiltongrandvacations, Manager at Grand Waikikian Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for taking time to give your input regarding your most recent stay. We were delighted to have you as a guest at our resort and are very happy to see that you were extremely satisfied with the overall experience of your stay. Although some of the scores in your survey reflect a good experience in various areas of your stay, every member of our team wants to ensure that our guests are leaving our resort feeling extremely satisfied.

Knowing that our commitment to achieving the score of a perfect 10 in all areas will require us to adjust and reevaluate our services, our entire resort team values any feedback we can receive from our guests. It is through this feedback that we are able to identify areas that may be in need of improvement as well as recognizing areas in which we do well. Thank you for your comment regarding the lounge chairs at pool. I will forward your concerns to the appropriate department to look into the matter and follow up with their team.

Shiho Natori
Resort Manager

Been to Grand Waikikian Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations? Share your experiences!