“Great place for the kids” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1811 Ala Moana Blvd, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #24 of 83 hotels in Honolulu
White Rock, Canada
“Great place for the kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Beautiful hotel with a great pool for the kids. Lots to do on the property. Lagoon and beach right there. Only problems we had were with the valet. They have a scanner that you scan to get your vehicle, we were there for 8 days and it only worked 2 times. Would much rather had a human at the desk. At $33 a day you should be getting personal attention. Also had a problem with ants in our room and the washer/dryer did not work that well. Not a big deal. Room was clean and was cleaned daily which I was suprised with as it is a condo.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

476 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Korean first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

its our 2nd time we stayed here at the Hilton Hawaiian Village Resort & Spa,
We stayed this time for a week, we loved our 1 bedroom apartment/unit, clean, spacious, nice staff, we went from floor 6 to 27th...we only had to wait for an hour, if we wanted that floor, which was ok because we came from Disney Aulani... so we weren't jet legged or anything.

great and awesome view: ocean, mountain & city view ...3 in 1 !!!

we did breakfast at our apartment and our friends came over to our place...we had a blast!

overall we like the resort, sometimes its too massive...but back in the Grand Waikikian it feels like home...we love to walk the resort, swim and the beach there!
and ofcourse the fire works on friday's is always a nice touch to end or to begin the vacation with!

Room Tip: we love the higher floors here!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
hiltongrandvacations, Manager at Grand Waikikian Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at Grand Waikikian and taking time to give us your input. We are very happy to see that you were extremely satisfied with the overall experience of your stay.
Every member of our team wants to ensure that our guests leave our resort feeling satisfied. Knowing that our commitment to achieving the score of a perfect 10 in all areas will require us to adjust and reevaluate our services, our entire resort team values any feedback we can receive from our guests. It is through this feedback that we are able to identify areas that may be in need of improvement as well as recognizing areas in which we do well.
On behalf of the entire resort team, I would like to thank you once again for sharing your input with us and look forward to the next opportunity of having you as a guest at our resort.

Shiho Natori
Resort Manager
Deer Park, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

As a regular visitor to Honolulu, I make it a point to spend a few days "in town" at the Hilton Hawaiian Village to be exact. This was my first time to the Grand Waikikian and out of all the towers I have stayed in, this one was the best. Unlike some other comments, I found the "bar staff" specifically Scott and the Tropics bar, to be outstanding. No doubt about it. I am returning on the 19th fo a few days and made reservations again. My only concern is that the do not put me anywhere but the Grand Waikikian. This time I may actually buy some points!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Maplewood, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I have stayed at this resort for 12 years and for the past 3 years at this tower, which is one of Hilton's timeshare properties. I have found it to be excellent. The rooms are great. I believe they are all suites. The kitchen is fully stocked, washer/dryer. There are markets nearby to stock up. The property is great in that it is centrally located, but still feels like a resort once you step inside. The lagoon and swimming pool are amazing. I would highly recommend this property to anyone not budget conscious.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

As timeshare owners, my wife and infant son stayed at the Grand Waikian earlier this year in January. While the vacation itself was nice, I figure it is about time that I listed my long standing grievances with this Hilton property.

The one constant detraction from this resort and my experience at Grand Waikian is the checking in and room assignment. Like most people, we had requested that where possible, we be put on a higher floor. We understand that this request cannot be accomodated all the times but asking for a higher floor at the Grand Waikikian is like dental surgery.

First of all, it was clear that the Hilton staff had absolutely no intention of even trying to accomodate this request. I received a brief nod and after various clicks on the keyboard, the Hilton staff provided me with a room key and tried to send me on my way. The fact that she made no mention of the room number as she attempted to send me off immediately tipped me off and when I checked the card holder, I think we had been assigned a room on one of the lowest floors possible. I immediately returned and asked about the high floor preference and was met with a most disgusted look and informed that "a higher floor is not a right". Arguing that the lower floors may make it difficult for my son to sleep, the Hilton staff relented and promptly put us on the 25th floor (which was obviously open). I can honestly say it appeared that this simple gesture for her was absolute torture for her and this is how we had to start our vacation. This was not first time having this type of experience with the Hilton staff and I suspect it won't be my last.

On that note, reading TripAdvisor and similar sites, I always thought it was funny how many people complained that Grand Waikikian (and other HGVC properties) was geared for Japanese tourists and Japanese tourists received preferential treatment. Speaking of my own experiences as a Japanese national and those of many of my friends here in Japan, I want to assure those reading this post that nothing could be further from the truth. If anything, due to the language difficulties and the cultural reluctance for Japanese people to complain, I would argue that Japanese tourists often get the short end of the stick.

Lastly, before I forget, my wife was 4 months pregnant during our time and was suffering from morning sickness on the day that we were checking out. I explained the situation to the front desk and asked for a delayed checkout and was promptly denied due to "being busy". As my wife was ill, I even mentionned that I was an Elite member, but once again, denied. I guess in that sense, the Hilton staff are consistent in treating both Elite and non-Elite members poorly.

As a HGVC owner, I am not happy having to post this negative review of a property that I own and frankly, I really do not expect that anything will change by this post aside from some template response from management. That being said, I really do believe that Hilton should make at least some effort to train their staff to provide even a minimal level of service.

In closing, oddly enough, in my experience, I thought that all of the other HGVC properties actually provide much better service. Considering the costs and popularity of the Hawaii properties, I certainly expected Hilton to better services its guests, regardless of nationality.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
hiltongrandvacations, Manager at Grand Waikikian Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thank you very much for staying with us. We really appreciate the time you took to write up your thoughts and experiences while staying with us. I have forwarded your comments about room assignment and late check out requests and attitude of the staff to the appropriate department heads so we can all improve our service and be able to provide better guest experience.

In regards to both room assignments and late check outs, we are honestly hard pressed to provide all of our owners and guests with all of their requests all of the time. With the high occupancy we operate under and with the limited number of rooms in each category, we are not able to honor all requests. Unfortunately, at times for some owners and guests, we are not able to honor any of their requests. In your case, I am glad the front clerk was able to assist you by moving reservations around to be able to accommodate you on the 25th floor, and apologize for the way the clerk did not have the proper aloha spirit and welcome.

All Hilton Grand Vacations Club and Hilton properties are made to welcome all guests, regardless of their nationalities or race. We always try to help all of our owners and guests all of the time. Language can present a difficulty for some guests due to our staff’s different levels of language skills, but we try to assist and help all of our guests all of the time.

Thank you very much.

John R. Reagan
Resort Manager
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here in July of 2012. We stayed in a one bedroom condo. I am a HGVC owner on the Big Island. The Grand Waikikian is nearly brand new and is beautiful. The room was a little worn (from heavy usage) but very nice and clean. The Hilton Hawaiian Village has everything a family needs if you have and family and are staying here.

The new salt water lagoon is great for kids and was never crowded. The pools can get very crowded. The pool located behind the Grand Waikikian has a slide and is very popular with families with children.

We enjoyed the poki and drinks at the Tropics bar and grill located on the Hilton property. The advantage to staying at the Grand Waikikian is that it is basically a condo with full kitchen, large refrigerator, microwave, etc. We traveled the short distance to Walmart to load up on water, fruit, snacks, etc. A big savings if you have a family.

The Hilton property is large and can be very crowded. There are conventions held there and there was one when we stayed. Oahu and Honolulu are increasingly becoming crowded and traffic can be a problem. If you are looking for a secluded Hawaii, Oahu and the Hilton Hawaiian Village is not for you. If you are looking for a great place with lots of shops, restaurants, bars, Oahu and the Grand Waikikian/Hilton Hawaiian Village is for you.

The staff at the Grand Waikikian was very nice and helpful. I am an owner so I may be biased and they may treat owners a little differently than the person who is there on a free ride and has to attend a sales pitch.

I lived in Honolulu. So I am partial to visiting the island. The Grand Waikikian and the Hilton Hawaiian Village has everything you need. You don't have to leave the resort. The pools, lagoon and beach is great. So if you are planning to take the family and you are looking for a family style resort this is the place for you. The place is also great for couples that are looking for lots to do.Don't miss the fireworks every Friday night. Parking can get expensive. A rental car is suggested in order to explore the island.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Parking is expensive. If you like the freedom of driving yourself around the island, try to limit the car rental time instead of the whole length of stay. The traffic is not worth driving daily. The stay was worth every day. Very convenient. The resort even has a Postal Contract Unit incase you have to mail home something instead of taking it on the plane. My wife loves the resort so much that we will definitely come back soon. Hilton Hawaiian Village is within a walking distance to shopping and nightlife makes it an ideal place for peaceful vacation and having it all.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
hiltongrandvacations, General Manager at Grand Waikikian Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Aloha and thank you for your comments. Indeed the property size is 22 acres and is full of restaurants and over 90 shops, a luau, family and kids’ activities, wildlife, a post office, four different pools to enjoy, and the Duke Paoa Kahanamoku Lagoon or the beach. Its location is close to the Ala Moana shopping center which is about a 10-15 minute walk in one direction or take a 10-15 minute stroll on the beach which will take you into the heart of Waikiki in the other direction. If walking is not an option, there are taxis staged on property, trolley and bus stops right in front of the Hilton Hawaiian Village to take you to your next destination. We hope you and your wife come back and visit us real soon!

Grant M. Nouchi
Assistant General Manager

Been to Grand Waikikian Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations? Share your experiences!