“Great Resort but a few issues” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
AAA Member Offer
Ranked #24 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Seattle
“Great Resort but a few issues”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

My husband and I are HGVC owners and frequently stay at the HHV whenever we are in Waikiki. We haven't been for many years and our last stay was actually in the Lagoon Tower (I have a previous review) which was nearly 7 years ago. This was long before the Waikikian was built.

A few weeks ago we decided to do a mileage run to get me up to the next level of status on my preferred airline. We chose Waikiki as our destination and decided to stay at the HHV. This was a short trip for us (4 nights) so we took advantage of "Open Season" and paid ridiculously low rates for our suite, vs. using our points. A tip to other HGVC owners: the points redemption at the GW are somewhat higher than in the Lagoon Tower or Kalia Tower. If you are visiting for less than a week, I strongly recommend looking into the Open Season option vs. points if this is your preferred tower. That said, the Lagoon and Kalia offer perfectly nice accommodations at a much better value, so if points are your thing, I would look there first.

As always, the service was impeccable. Everyone was friendly and accommodating from check in to check out. The room was also immaculate. We rented a two bedroom, partial ocean view and were placed on the 14th floor. Our view was of the marina and the lagoon. We could also see the rooftop luau. (Free show!)

Beds were comfortable and everything was spotless. My only gripe about the room would be the showers. The shower heads were a bit of a challenge to get just right. They use handheld shower heads that can be adjusted to your height, which is nice. However the challenge is getting the angle right without having the handle crash to the floor. Not a deal breaker or anything to really complain about, but would be nice if the shower heads were more traditional and not the handheld type.

Where I do have a moderate gripe is with regard to the wi-fi. For all owners and guests of HGVC wi-fi connectivity is free, however the connection strength is poor. In fact, poor doesn't do it justice. It was terrible. It was impossible to stay connected for longer than 30 seconds at a time before having to log-in again. If you want to stream video (watch a netflix video on your iPad for example) forget about it. At the most I think we had 2 bars of strength, which wasn't consistent. I ended up using my 3G for internet connectivity instead.

My other gripe (and this is a big one) is the pool. I totally get that it's Hawaii and with this resort in particular, it is very kid friendly. I don't have children and I fully expected to see lots of kids at the resort. However, the GW pool is the only one on the property with a water slide and water slide = lots of kids. There were so many in the pool/around the pool it was impossible for me to enjoy myself and relax. In the past there used to be an adults only pool in the Kalia Tower. I was actually looking forward to spending my time there but learned that it was no longer available as an option. We ended up at the beach, which was totally fine (it is Hawaii afterall) but it would have been nice if the HHV dedicated a pool just for adults. Hopefully the absence of an adults only pool is only temporary.

The other issue with the pool is with respect to the reserving of lounge chairs. We also own at Starwood and their policy is that if you leave your belongings unattended on the pool chairs for longer than an hour, they are taken away. Hilton has no such policy, at least that we could see was being enforced. People were arriving at early hours to 'claim their spot' and not returning until later in the day. This is incredibly obnoxious and inconsiderate behavior and a huge pet peeve of mine. I get that people can be/will be rude, but it's the job of the resort to ensure some sort of regulation around this. From what we could tell, this wasn't happening.

Finally, something should be said about the hours of their restaurants and bars. We arrived really late on a Friday evening. By the time we checked into our room it was after 11 pm. We were shocked to find that not a single bar or restaurant on the HHV property was open except for the Round Table Pizza. What bar closes at 11 pm on a Friday night? Especially if your goal is to keep people on property and the majority of Waikiki stays open until the wee hours, you would think they would want to compete. Apparently not. Granted we could have walked into Waikiki, but after a 5 hour flight (and two hour time difference) we weren't exactly up for a stroll into town.

We did really enjoy Tropics, though we never ate in the restaurant itself. We enjoyed live music in the lounge and snacked on pupus. Drinks were expensive, but strong and the pupus tasty.

Overall, this is a great place to stay. The GW is a great facility, but to be honest, any of the other HGVC towers will do. We will be back!

Room Tip: HGVC owners: If you can take advantage of Open Season, I strongly recommend that over using points t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
hiltongrandvacations, Manager at Grand Waikikian Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for taking time to give your input regarding your most recent stay. We were delighted to have you as a guest at our resort and are very happy to see that you were extremely satisfied with the overall experience of your stay. Although some of the scores in your survey reflect a good experience in various areas of your stay, every member of our team wants to ensure that our guests are leaving our resort feeling extremely satisfied.

Knowing that our commitment to achieving the score of a perfect 10 in all areas will require us to adjust and reevaluate our services, our entire resort team values any feedback we can receive from our guests. It is through this feedback that we are able to identify areas that may be in need of improvement as well as recognizing areas in which we do well. Thank you for your comment regarding the lounge chairs at pool. I will forward your concerns to the appropriate department to look into the matter and follow up with their team.

Shiho Natori

548 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Korean first
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Hhv has gotten too crowded. This was our third time here and we are hgvc owners, which I've discovered gets you no better service than anyone else. While the location and accommodations are second to none, I could do without the crowds at the pool, the crowds at the restaurants and the crowds at check in and check out. The "member lounge" intended for HGVC guests is inadequate as well. We will be going to another destination for our vacation next year.

• Stayed November 2012
hiltongrandvacations, Manager at Grand Waikikian Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for taking time to give your input to my resort team regarding your most recent stay. We were delighted to have you as a guest at our resort and would very much like to improve upon the services you experienced while at our resort. I will follow up with appropriate department heads to review your comments. We want to focus on improving the areas that failed to leave you feeling extremely satisfied.
Mahalo,

Shiho Natori
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

Staying at the Lagoon Tower and saw roaches. Only been in room for 1 1/2 days. Called and they sent a man with bottle of spray - not good. Have dead roach on wall and nobody wants to clean it. Took long time to send someone - service not good. Housekeeping only cleans every third day. :-(

• Stayed November 2012
Aloha and thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to Honolulu. I was dismayed to hear that you had roaches in the room, and that the response time of the staff was not fast enough. Though we are on a constant rotating schedule for insect control here in our tropical paradise, when one is spotted, our staff needs to be quicker and more effective in dealing with them. Please let me apologize.

In regards to room cleaning, as we are a time share property, our owners usually do not like to be disturbed, hence the schedule of one mid-week housekeeping cleaning schedule per 7 nights, with a full service on the 8th day if our owners or guests are staying more than 7 nights. As we tell our owners and their guests at check in time, if they are in need of any amenity, whether it be clean towels, shampoos etc. we will happily deliver it to their room at no charge.

We look forward to your next visit with us at the Hilton Grand Vacations Club properties in the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Mahalo

John R. Reagan
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Our family (2 adults, 2 kids aged 4 & 6) stayed in June 2012.

Our check in was a drama (especially after a 10 hour flight)! It was booked by a 3rd party (an Australian website) and upon check in I was told that our room had been cancelled. To cut a long story short after 45 minutes it was sorted out and we were allocated our room.

We were a little disappointed that the room configuration was not what we were expecting and we had a "city view" . We had booked a 1 bedroom with two beds but instead got a 1 bedroom with King Bed and pull out sofa. After contacting management and our travel agent in Australia we could not change rooms. After the debarkle with check in this sadly left a sour taste but none the less we were in Waikiki so got offer the disappointment fast.

The pull out sofa in the living room was fantastic as the kids thought it was a real treat to to have their own tv and Playstation.

Having a washer, dryer and kitchen in the apartment was invaluable!

The pool was a huge hit, especially the Super Pool. The kids would gladly have spent our entire stay in the pool but there was shopping to be done!!!!!

It took us over half an hour to walk to restaurants not in the village. But the kids never whinged about it!!!

The Friday night fireworks was great!

Walking to Ala Moana Shopping Centre was easy! About 15 minutes (and that's walking with two slow coach kids in tow). And getting a Taxi back from there was not very expensive.

Despite our initial check in hiccup (and wrong room allocation) we had an amazing holiday!!!!
So great in fact that we are booked for 2013!!!! The kids are constantly talking about their Hawaiian experience (even though we didn't do anything besides swimming, shopping and eating!!!)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Corona, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is conveniently located in the Hilton Hawaiian Village. There are plenty of places to eat in the area. The pool is the best out of all the other places in Waikiki. Great place for the family. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The room is what you would expect from HGVC. Fireworks on Friday was a welcome surprise for the kids.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

We loved the grand waikikian. We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment with a fully equipped kitchen and laundry. It was very luxurious and we looked out over Waikiki beach. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly and the grounds were immaculate. The kids loved the pool and would have been happy if we didn't leave the village on our entire trip. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012
Plainview, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We are Hilton owners on the Big Island and decided to stay here for our first week before going to Kona. We booked a two bedroom ocean front property on a high floor (at a substantially higher cost in points). Everything about this property (and all of Hilton Hawaiian Village) is beautiful and the location is great. You are very close to Waikiki but are a little off the main roads so it is much quieter. The rooms are very well appointed with comfortable beds, full kitchens (although they really need Keurig coffee makers) and nice televisions. The shopping and restaurants on the property are very nice, and most are not outrageously priced (for a resort area). The shop in the Grand Waikiki and was great, with a nice selection of grocery, gift and drugstore items, along with ready to eat foods as well and everything was very reasonable. The staff in the store was super helpful as well. This property is within walking distance of the Ala Moana shopping mall as well as the shopping, restaurants, bars and beach at Waikiki. Everyone should make a point to find the Mai Tai bar at the Pink Palace (Royal Hawaiian Hotel) on Waikiki beach and get a beachfront table to watch the fabulous sunset as you enjoy the original Mai Tai (or the Royal Mai Tai – both are great).
We experienced two problems which is why my overall rating cannot be higher. The first was that as I said above, we booked a room on a high floor, we again asked when checking in for a high floor, and said we would be happy to wait longer if we needed to. We arrived about 2 hours before check in time, so went to the hospitality room to wait. When our room was ready (just a little after the 4 pm check in time) we went back to the front desk to finish the process and again asked if we were getting a high room, he said it was very high. We then find out it is on the 17th floor (of a tower with 38 floors) and I said that I did not consider this to be a high floor. He said it was the best they could do. We said we could wait longer, and he said that would not make any difference as this was the unit we would get. We reluctantly headed to the unit. I will say it was ocean front, however since it was not very high, the view was nothing special. I contacted the front desk again to express my displeasure and was again assured nothing else was available. If this had been true, I would not have been upset, however we talked to numerous guests with rooms on much higher floors that checked in later the same day. One on them even told me how many points they used and it was MUCH LESS than what we had used. During our week of the 30-50 times I used the elevators I saw only two guests exit on floors below ours. Based on the number of people at the pools, etc. it was obvious that the property was not close to being full, however they did not honor our request for a high floor. I even talked to guests that were not Hilton owners that were given units on much higher floors. The management should have honored the specific reservation and requests that we made, or provided a better response that just – “that’s the way it is, quit asking”.
The second problem was that while the pools and surrounding areas are beautiful, the water in the pools was much too cold to be comfortable. Most of the time there were only kids in the pools, since most adults found them cold (I visited with at least 20 people who said they could not get in them at all). We visited friends staying at two other Waikiki properties and both of their pools were MUCH warmer than those at the Hilton. The ocean and the man made lagoon were much warmer than the pools. Management needs to address this issue since a majority of their guests are adults.
Hilton Grand Vacation Club is one of the best timeshare management programs there is, they have a lots of properties in great locations and their point system is very good. I hope we do not have a similar experience the future.

Overall a Great Property that needs to provide additional training to some front desk staff.

Room Tip: If you want a great view you need an ocean front unit on a high floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Aloha and thank you for staying with us at Grand Waikikian. I was really happy to hear of the pleasure and enjoyment you were able to have here in the Hilton Hawaiian Village as well as in Waikiki it self. It is always nice to hear!

I would like to apologize that you could not get a higher floor than the 17th floor, though being as popular as we are and with over 9 room types and price/point categories it can be difficult to give preferred rooms to all of our owners and guests. Some categories only have two rooms per floor.

I was surprised and happy to hear that our four elevators were not crowded, because on occasion, including this past October, we had lines waiting for the elevators when the arrival times of our owners and guests coincided. Our HGVC towers might not have felt full, which is good to hear, but I can assure you that our occupancy was very high.

Our pool water temperatures have been raised because of voices such as yours, and mine I might add. Thank you very much.

I agree with you whole heartedly and thank you for pointing out the fact that our front desk staff needs additional training in hospitality. We are constantly training and retraining so as to provide the best service possible.

Once again, MaHalo for your valuable opinions and suggestions.

John R. Reagan
Resort Manager

Been to Grand Waikikian Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations? Share your experiences!