“Outstanding Budget hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #70 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Greater Perth, Australia
“Outstanding Budget hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

All the apartments have kitchens but you would not store food in the seldom used cupboards. Full size fridge/freezers which means you can buy some ice cream for those hot nights. The gym is excellent with new equipment whilst not being too big. I like they have filtered water taps for all guests. The rooms can book out and then get over priced. If you book early enough you can get some great value for money. The reception people were awesome. The hire bikes are great for cruising or adding in some exercise. A burger bar nearby has a $3 3pm cocktail happy hour. It was awesome.

Room Tip: A higher floor with the separate bedroom facing the sea are the best.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Korean first
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Great hotel -- outstanding staff

Arrived at hotel, cheerfully greeted by front desk staff, and was promptly assigned a room. Great location: church around the corner; within walking distance to Waikiki beach; walking distance to restaurants; walking distance to great shopping. Outstanding coffee shop right outside the door (not a coffee drinker, but they also served great pastries, smoothies, and milkshakes at reasonable (cheap )prices. Next door to the coffee shop is a "general store" where you can purchase EVERYTHING you might have forgotten. And, if you want a quick lunch to take to the beach, they have loads of options: sandwiches/salads/etc.

Back to the OUTSTANDING customer service. We were given a room with a kitchenette (versus a room with a microwave/small fridge). I am diabetic, and it was past due my normal snack/meal time when we arrived (13hr trip from east coast). Had packed food to eat on the plane/cook as soon as arrival in HI, but was drained Mentioned this to the front desk staff (Shantell (sp), who told me about ordering from our room- even gave meal/restaurant suggestions (a restaurant/menu book is located in the room - I ordered meals, and flopped on the bed). She brought up the food almost as soon as I got in bed. She was with the restaurant driver, and she set up the food for me. She always checked to see how I was feeling, and wanted to know if I needed anything -- And, she was sincerely concerned about my and my husband's heath and welfare/enjoyment of the island. (as were others at the hotel front desk).
On last day, hubs dropped his wallet while on the elevator -- she brought it to us (someone found it and turned into the front-desk staff).
Room was cleaned daily; beds were comfortable; pillows left a bit to be desired (too firm for my taste): great water pressure in shower; nice fluffy bath towels; safe in room; lots of hangers. All in all a great hotel/great location/and outstanding service by front-desk staff. Loving the complimentary water bags while traveling at home. Did not use the pool/gym.

Room Tip: we were in room 1307 (partial waterview); however, you have to stand, and look sideways to see it...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you very much for your kind comments and ratings!
I am happy that we were able to service your needs during your visit with us and our employees were able to provide you with excellence in service.
We look forward to your return visits in the future.
Much Mahalo and Happy Holidays from all of us.

NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Hotel was within walking distance to Waikiki and plenty of shops. Hotel staff were friendly. Beds were a bit on the hard side, but the pillows were nice. Water bags were given to us to fill whenever we wanted clean drinking water which was a bonus. Also, they provided free surfboard storage. There is a coffee shop right outside the main lobby which was very handy, and there was a Whaler's store right next to that (late at night their sushi rolls are discounted). Although we were on the 9th floor of the hotel, we could hear all the traffic noise on the street below.

Room Tip: If you get a room on the mountain/canal side, it should be quieter, but you'll miss the ocean vi...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you very much for your rating and comments!
I am happy to hear that we were able to meet most of your expectations during your stay with us.
We look forward to your return in the future.
Much Mahalo
Seaford Rise, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2014

I really don't know what you people are complaining about. Our night at Ambassador was only $99 US dollars from Agoda (what a bargain for Waikiki). The check in area was busy and the Manager kept apologising for the hold up, which impressed me right of the bat. We checked in and got given 2 free water bottles for the free water fountain and 2 access codes for free Wi-Fi. The manager was more than happy to give us a map and point out the areas we wanted to see. The room was clean and no I did not see chipping paint or cracked furniture. The carpets were clean, the bathrooms were clean and if I wasn't going on cruise the next day, easy could of stayed a week. The only thing that took the time to wait is the lift, cause its an older hotel than most and to be expected. But we were so high up, I just watched the waves on the beach, so it was no hassle for me. Yes the trucks in the morning are loud and busy, but Waikiki is early to bed, early to rise. I was already awake by 6am so I wasn't affected. It was very quiet at night in our room, so I was happy. The only issue I would point out is the air conditioner can be a little noisy and that's cause again, older hotel so no ducted air conditioning, I can forgive that, but it did keep our room nice and cool.The only grip I would say is the balcony could do with some furniture for sitting as its a great view of the city at night, but this is the only tiny grip I have. The man who hailed us a cab and helped us with directions in the lobby was so nice and friendly that we ended up tipping him $20 for his great service. He deserved it, he didn't act friendly and nice for a tip and we had some great laughs with him. The pool area was so nice and had no issues using hotel towels. I don't know why so many complaints about this hotel. The staff were friendly and accommodating, yes it's a little older hotel but its not a dump and I've been to a lot of hotels in my travels. I hate people picking on stuff that's not true. Don't listen to others and book this hotel with no doubts. It has some great views of city, sea and mountains. I cannot speak highly enough of my visit to Ambassador. I will be back one day that's for sure. Thanks guys for a great night spent with an awesome hotel. A++++

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, November 9, 2014
Thank you very, very much for your great comments and rating!
We appreciate your honesty about visit and property and happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us.
Your comments will be passed to all the staff that will bring smiles!
We look forward to your return visits!
Much Mahalo
Coffs Harbour, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2014

Husband and I, plus our daughter and teenage granddaughter came for a nine day visit from Australia. We booked online and hoped for the best. Value was good and layout of the room suited us very well. Unfortunately, the room was plain daggy with peeling paint, shabby furniture and awful, uncomfortable beds with linen that didn't look too clean. We had great balconies with fabulous views but no outdoor furniture so had to keep dragging the kitchen chairs out. But, despite all that we had a wonderful time and saw a lot in the short time we were there - our "kids" especially loved being amongst all the action of Halloween!! Most of the staff were lovely with beautiful smiles which is a big plus for this hotel.

Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Much Mahalo for your comments and rating.
I am happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us during the Halloween weekend.
We look forward to your return visit when you are called back to the Waikiki area.
Thank you for your patronage.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2014

We have stayed in Ambassador hotel twice now and so far we've got no complains.

It's an older style hotel, which could use new updo here and there. Nevertheless, the room is very clean and good value for its ideal location. It's less than 5 mins walking to the main road where shops and restaurants are location.

Customer service is fantastic...when the lady who helped us heard that it was our second time there, she gave us an upgrade to ocean view room - very kind and thoughtful! Everytime we asked a question at front desk, the staff was always helpful and quick to response, never waited longer than 1 minute in line.

Wifi is avalaible throughout the hotel and room, which is great - don't need to go to the lobby each time just to check emails.

Our room came with a kitchennette and a large fridge. It was good to be able to store bit of food / drinks and save a bit on eating out.

They also provide filtered water and a plastic bottle for each person, refill station is near the lobby and is available anytime. Bikes are also provided as a part of resort fee of $20 amongst other amenities - pool, game room, etc

All in all, another pleasant stay at Ambassador hotel.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your comments and rating.
I am happy to hear that you are a frequent return guest and we have been able to meet your satisfaction during your visits with us.
We look forward to your return visit.
Much Mahalo for your continued patronage.
Angeles City Philippines
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2014

We've had the misfortune to stay at this hotel, but it was a last resort. The room needs a major redo (painting of the walls, cleaning the carpets, replace the damage dresser, replace the noisy air con, kitchenette cabinets need paint and maybe some shelf paper would help,and replace the tiles in the shower (the outside road is cleaner), just to name a few. The only good of this hotel was the front desk (Kari and Amber) was very helpful and housekeeping did there best, for what they had to work with. The price was reasonable, until you found out of all the additional fee's (i.e. Parking fees ($25.00 a day) and Resort Amenity Fees ($20.00 a day and Wi-Fi is included in this package). We could go on, but I think you get the idea.

Room Tip: All rooms faces outside. You will hear vehicle noise, even at the upper levels.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments and rating.
I am very sorry to hear that our property did not meet your full satisfaction during your visit with us.
I am happy to hear that Kerri and Amber were able to give you the Aloha hospitality and service.
Much Mahalo for your patronage.
Roy Yamamoto

Been to Ambassador Hotel Waikiki? Share your experiences!