“Outstanding customer service” 4 of 5 stars

Richmond, Virginia
“Outstanding customer service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Great hotel -- outstanding staff

Arrived at hotel, cheerfully greeted by front desk staff, and was promptly assigned a room. Great location: church around the corner; within walking distance to Waikiki beach; walking distance to restaurants; walking distance to great shopping. Outstanding coffee shop right outside the door (not a coffee drinker, but they also served great pastries, smoothies, and milkshakes at reasonable (cheap )prices. Next door to the coffee shop is a "general store" where you can purchase EVERYTHING you might have forgotten. And, if you want a quick lunch to take to the beach, they have loads of options: sandwiches/salads/etc.

Back to the OUTSTANDING customer service. We were given a room with a kitchenette (versus a room with a microwave/small fridge). I am diabetic, and it was past due my normal snack/meal time when we arrived (13hr trip from east coast). Had packed food to eat on the plane/cook as soon as arrival in HI, but was drained Mentioned this to the front desk staff (Shantell (sp), who told me about ordering from our room- even gave meal/restaurant suggestions (a restaurant/menu book is located in the room - I ordered meals, and flopped on the bed). She brought up the food almost as soon as I got in bed. She was with the restaurant driver, and she set up the food for me. She always checked to see how I was feeling, and wanted to know if I needed anything -- And, she was sincerely concerned about my and my husband's heath and welfare/enjoyment of the island. (as were others at the hotel front desk).
On last day, hubs dropped his wallet while on the elevator -- she brought it to us (someone found it and turned into the front-desk staff).
Room was cleaned daily; beds were comfortable; pillows left a bit to be desired (too firm for my taste): great water pressure in shower; nice fluffy bath towels; safe in room; lots of hangers. All in all a great hotel/great location/and outstanding service by front-desk staff. Loving the complimentary water bags while traveling at home. Did not use the pool/gym.

Room Tip: we were in room 1307 (partial waterview); however, you have to stand, and look sideways to see it...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Thank you very much for your kind comments and ratings!
I am happy that we were able to service your needs during your visit with us and our employees were able to provide you with excellence in service.
We look forward to your return visits in the future.
Much Mahalo and Happy Holidays from all of us.

Roy Yamamoto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Korean first
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Hotel was within walking distance to Waikiki and plenty of shops. Hotel staff were friendly. Beds were a bit on the hard side, but the pillows were nice. Water bags were given to us to fill whenever we wanted clean drinking water which was a bonus. Also, they provided free surfboard storage. There is a coffee shop right outside the main lobby which was very handy, and there was a Whaler's store right next to that (late at night their sushi rolls are discounted). Although we were on the 9th floor of the hotel, we could hear all the traffic noise on the street below.

Room Tip: If you get a room on the mountain/canal side, it should be quieter, but you'll miss the ocean vi...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you very much for your rating and comments!
I am happy to hear that we were able to meet most of your expectations during your stay with us.
We look forward to your return in the future.
Seaford Rise, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2014

I really don't know what you people are complaining about. Our night at Ambassador was only $99 US dollars from Agoda (what a bargain for Waikiki). The check in area was busy and the Manager kept apologising for the hold up, which impressed me right of the bat. We checked in and got given 2 free water bottles for the free water fountain and 2 access codes for free Wi-Fi. The manager was more than happy to give us a map and point out the areas we wanted to see. The room was clean and no I did not see chipping paint or cracked furniture. The carpets were clean, the bathrooms were clean and if I wasn't going on cruise the next day, easy could of stayed a week. The only thing that took the time to wait is the lift, cause its an older hotel than most and to be expected. But we were so high up, I just watched the waves on the beach, so it was no hassle for me. Yes the trucks in the morning are loud and busy, but Waikiki is early to bed, early to rise. I was already awake by 6am so I wasn't affected. It was very quiet at night in our room, so I was happy. The only issue I would point out is the air conditioner can be a little noisy and that's cause again, older hotel so no ducted air conditioning, I can forgive that, but it did keep our room nice and cool.The only grip I would say is the balcony could do with some furniture for sitting as its a great view of the city at night, but this is the only tiny grip I have. The man who hailed us a cab and helped us with directions in the lobby was so nice and friendly that we ended up tipping him $20 for his great service. He deserved it, he didn't act friendly and nice for a tip and we had some great laughs with him. The pool area was so nice and had no issues using hotel towels. I don't know why so many complaints about this hotel. The staff were friendly and accommodating, yes it's a little older hotel but its not a dump and I've been to a lot of hotels in my travels. I hate people picking on stuff that's not true. Don't listen to others and book this hotel with no doubts. It has some great views of city, sea and mountains. I cannot speak highly enough of my visit to Ambassador. I will be back one day that's for sure. Thanks guys for a great night spent with an awesome hotel. A++++

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, November 9, 2014
Thank you very, very much for your great comments and rating!
We appreciate your honesty about visit and property and happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us.
Your comments will be passed to all the staff that will bring smiles!
We look forward to your return visits!
Coffs Harbour, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2014

Husband and I, plus our daughter and teenage granddaughter came for a nine day visit from Australia. We booked online and hoped for the best. Value was good and layout of the room suited us very well. Unfortunately, the room was plain daggy with peeling paint, shabby furniture and awful, uncomfortable beds with linen that didn't look too clean. We had great balconies with fabulous views but no outdoor furniture so had to keep dragging the kitchen chairs out. But, despite all that we had a wonderful time and saw a lot in the short time we were there - our "kids" especially loved being amongst all the action of Halloween!! Most of the staff were lovely with beautiful smiles which is a big plus for this hotel.

Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Much Mahalo for your comments and rating.
I am happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us during the Halloween weekend.
We look forward to your return visit when you are called back to the Waikiki area.
Thank you for your patronage.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2014

We have stayed in Ambassador hotel twice now and so far we've got no complains.

It's an older style hotel, which could use new updo here and there. Nevertheless, the room is very clean and good value for its ideal location. It's less than 5 mins walking to the main road where shops and restaurants are location.

Customer service is fantastic...when the lady who helped us heard that it was our second time there, she gave us an upgrade to ocean view room - very kind and thoughtful! Everytime we asked a question at front desk, the staff was always helpful and quick to response, never waited longer than 1 minute in line.

Wifi is avalaible throughout the hotel and room, which is great - don't need to go to the lobby each time just to check emails.

Our room came with a kitchennette and a large fridge. It was good to be able to store bit of food / drinks and save a bit on eating out.

They also provide filtered water and a plastic bottle for each person, refill station is near the lobby and is available anytime. Bikes are also provided as a part of resort fee of $20 amongst other amenities - pool, game room, etc

All in all, another pleasant stay at Ambassador hotel.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your comments and rating.
I am happy to hear that you are a frequent return guest and we have been able to meet your satisfaction during your visits with us.
We look forward to your return visit.
Much Mahalo for your continued patronage.
Angeles City Philippines
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2014

We've had the misfortune to stay at this hotel, but it was a last resort. The room needs a major redo (painting of the walls, cleaning the carpets, replace the damage dresser, replace the noisy air con, kitchenette cabinets need paint and maybe some shelf paper would help,and replace the tiles in the shower (the outside road is cleaner), just to name a few. The only good of this hotel was the front desk (Kari and Amber) was very helpful and housekeeping did there best, for what they had to work with. The price was reasonable, until you found out of all the additional fee's (i.e. Parking fees ($25.00 a day) and Resort Amenity Fees ($20.00 a day and Wi-Fi is included in this package). We could go on, but I think you get the idea.

Room Tip: All rooms faces outside. You will hear vehicle noise, even at the upper levels.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments and rating.
I am very sorry to hear that our property did not meet your full satisfaction during your visit with us.
I am happy to hear that Kerri and Amber were able to give you the Aloha hospitality and service.
Much Mahalo for your patronage.
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2014

My family came visiting to Oahu and booked three rooms at the Ambassador Waikiki.

I have to start off by saying the staff and service are second to none! Karla the Guest Services manager checked us in super cheerfully and had already pre-assigned rooms on the same floor. We were able to get in a couple hours early too, which was much appreciated with two tired parents, two crazy kids, and two very tired grandparents. Everyone we encountered. including housekeeping, was very friendly. The activities concierge is ultra-helpful for information and trip planning. Definitely stop by to chat. They can also recommend and book tours and shuttles --most pick up right at the doorstep of the hotel.

At checkout we discovered the kids (or maybe grandma and grandpa) had accidentally purchased some pay movies (childrens' movies, thank god) The front desk was great and removed the charges for the ones under a minute or so long...but there was a show they watched for 15+ minutes so of course we ponied up. Dang kids.

My family booked a kitchenette category which includes mini-fridge, microwave, stovetop, toaster, all kitchen utensils and dishware. There may be other small appliances available by request (rice cooker). Keep in mind that Waikiki is incredibly limited for kitchenette/full kitchen types. You'll be hard pressed to even find an in-room microwave.
Bathroom is spacious, with walk-in shower only. I don't think any of the units have bathtubs. Self parking is $25, on the cheaper side for Waikiki.
We never visited the pool!

The location is good-- for anyone that can walk reasonably. Waikiki is only 1.5 miles long so its very easy to get to beach, food, shopping, groceries. However, this place is on the outer fringes: since Grandma and Grandpa can't go more than a half mile without resting, even the quarter mile walk to Ihop was rough. The half-mile to the beach? They said forget it!

Downstairs is a well stocked convenience store, and a Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf kiosk. The nearest eatery would be right across the street: Vit's Hawaiian Steakhouse which has good breakfast and reasonably priced dinner. There is also Protea Café at the Luana hotel for fantastic breakfasts/coffee/smoothies-- lunch is just OK. All other shopping and dining will begin 5-10 minutes walking. The nearest full service grocery store, Food Pantry is a mile away.

The rooms are clean, linens are fresh. However the furniture, paint, cabinetry, flooring, are old and chipped, scratched, rusty, out of alignment. Completely functional but run-down! Sorry Ambassador, needs some work!
I'll have to be honest: for kitchenettes or full kitchen accommodations, I'd have to recommend the Luana Waikiki across the street. Its clean, semi-modern Hawaiian style with wood flooring and granite countertops, nice amenities. Price may be a bit more per night depending on the season, but worth the cost. They're a solid four dot hotel.
Alternatively, the Ohana West and Ohana Malia are good choices if Luana is too expensive: They have some kitchenette rooms, and facilities are slightly more updated than the Ambassador. They are also more convenient to shops and dining, but in turn have limited options for view category rooms. Keep in mind that noise is a hot issue as you get closer to city center.

Bottom line: the Ambassador is a great place for super budget travelers. Families who book a kitchenette and are willing to prepare meals will definitely find the best value here. You get good service and a clean, functional room. This place will be quieter than almost all other hotels, even in the lower category.
If the Ambassador ever goes through a renovation and remains reasonably priced, I'd definitely be back to check it out.

A helpful tip: ALWAYS book directly with the hotel and check for specials, or if you book through a third party make extra-sure of all your options! My family booked a package through JTB which forced the group of four adults and two kids to purchase three partial ocean view kitchenette rooms. They didn't need a third room to begin with, and definitely didn't need all three to be kitchenette types.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your very detailed comments and ratings.
I am happy to hear that we were able to meet your satisfaction during your visit with us.
We appreciate your business and most of all your kind words about our property and service.
Roy Yamamoto

Been to Ambassador Hotel Waikiki? Share your experiences!