“Honeymooners” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Honeymooners”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

A beautiful resort, highly recommended. Just note that they charge you a "resort fee" of $36.65USD PER ROOM PER DAY. This was not explained to us at the time we checked in. Personally I think tipping has got ridiculous! Makes for very expensive meals etc. Sun lounges on the beach are $40USD plus tax to hire per day plus tipping. Overall great staff, great service and a beautiful hotel.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Apple Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We just returned from our vacation at the Royal Hawaiian. We stayed in the Malani Towers where our room had a balcony overlooking the ocean. Beautiful room.There is a concierge service for the Mailani Tower guests called the Mailani Lounge. We had a wonderful continental breakfast and light snacks and drinks in the evening every day we were there. I really enjoyed the cafe lattes at the coffee station. We wanted to thank the warm and gracious staff in the Mailani Lounge, and in particular, Dan Hoover and Christina Fuller. You all made our stay a truly warm and luxurious experience. We will definitely be back.
Gail and John

Room Tip: The Mailani Towers with balcony and views of Wiakiki
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
RHCoordinator, Guest Experience Team at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Gail R, Thank you for staying with The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. We are pleased to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at our Mailani Tower from the breathtaking views from your room to the Mailani Morning and Evening services that we offered. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our associates, as they take great pride in ensuring that our guests are well-cared for. Thank you for being our guest and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back for many more years to come. Warmest aloha.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Beautiful service, the staff here are wonderful and so accommodating. We stayed in a stunning room with beach views, loved the décor. Amazing breakfast. The only place to stay in Waikiki. Unforgettable stay. Thank you The Royal Hawaiian, we hope to return soon!

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear LZii, Thank you for staying with The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. We are pleased to learn that your room in our Mailani Tower was everything you expected and that you were well serviced throughout your stay. It is wonderful that you enjoyed our breakfast and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back for many more years to come. Warmest aloha.
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This is my first time to stay at the Royal Hawaiian and I have to say it is amazing the historic room are great. The service is perfect everyone is so nice and being in the second hotel ever built in Waikiki is very cool we will never stay anywhere else when welcome to Honolulu. And they have a luau that is out of this world I have been to a lot of them and this is the best.

Stayed April 2015
Dear AdamDW81, Thank you for staying with The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. We are pleased to learn that you loved your beautifully furnished room in our historic building. We are honored that our associates took great care in ensuring that you had a extraordinary stay with us. It is wonderful that you were able to take some time to enjoy our Aha Aina Luau. It is truly a unique experience and we are so glad that you enjoyed it. Thank you for being our guest and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Warmest aloha.
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We are currently staying in this hotel. Yes. We are here now and I can't wait to give it a 1 star, so prospective guests can be warned and go spend your money somewhere else.

We are having a major problem in the room and also some minor issues here and there with services. We are staying in an ocean front view room which costs more than $400/night. First night we arrived, we noticed the cold water faucet of the sink ran hot water instead of cold. We had to keep it running for 5-15 mins before we could get some cold water from it. We thought it was the hot weather, so we ignored it. It continued to happen the other day and, also at night time. That started us to think its not "normal" (as nighttime the temperature outside wasn't that high). However, we didn't have time to talk to guest service until the following day (we have an infant with us, so we're always on a rush). Guest service responded prompted and sent up a maintenance person. At night we came back, turned on the cold faucet, it's still hot water first, after 5 mins then cold. I called guest service to find out if they were able to fix the problem and they told me it's fixed. I told them the water was still hot from the cold faucet and they sent up two maintenance persons this time. They came up and told me it's fixed. Then they turned on the cold water faucet, they felt it's hot water, and then they let it ran for a while, until the water turned cold, he looked at me and said, "see, it's cold now. It's fixed."

From that point on I knew it wasn't something that they can fix. So I explained to them that was my original complaint -- turning on cold water faucet not getting cold water right away but needed to wait. But the two maintenance guys, after they spoke with each other in their own language, they turned to me and kept saying, "it's fixed. It's fixed." I told them this is NOT fixed. This is just they did their best, but the problem had NOT been fixed. Then they said, "or you change room." I thanked their suggestion but it wasn't easy for us to change room as we have a baby and lots of stuff to pack. So I told them it's ok, but I'd contact the manager and let her knew about the problem.

I then talked to the concierge about the issue and the progress; the concierge person was very helpful. She kept apologizing and assured us that the manager would contact us the following morning after 9am. (Cause it was late when we talked to the concierge)

The following morning, which was today. At around 8:15am, someone kept knocking at our door. My husband hurried up to get it and found the maintenance guy stood outside again. He came in to the bathroom, turned on the cold faucet and started to give my husband a lesson about how their water flow and why it would get hot water sometimes. My husband was still in dream but he did touch the water from the cold faucet again and he said it was cold. So after the lesson, maintenance guy left and we were all waken up by those knocking, of course, that included our baby.

After past 9am, we received a call from the manager of guest service, she asked about the issue and said she had sent a maintenance guy up this morning to check and seemed things were ok now. We then tested out the water again and actually, it was still the same. Cold water faucet ran hot water in the beginning. And it was actually on and off. Hot water ran for 15 secs and then cold water came, but after 10 secs, hot water came back in again. I truly didn't think it was a problem that a maintenance guy could fix.

I told the manager about what I was getting from the faucet at that moment and she apologized for the issue and offered to send someone to look at it again. I, of course, rejected her. (After so many trials, let's just not continue to waste each other's time) she then said she would have engineering to look into it and asked if there was anything she could do to make it up. I said no. (What could compensate all the inconvenience and frustration from handling a baby with hot water for days?) Then she politely ended our call.

This was the main unresolved issue we had with our current room and we still have a couple more days to stay.

For the other minor stuff;
1) bathtub and sink clogged on our second day. It was a pretty bad clog. Water just stayed in the bathtub not going at all. Plumber came and cleared them up on the same day.

2) in-room dining experience: their breakfast toast is $8 for 4 HALF PIECES. They even sent me 3 HALF PIECES the 2nd time I ordered. I complained and they sent me another basket.

3) housekeeping didn't always replace empty body wash or replenish coffee spoon at the coffee bar.

4) we requested honey the first night and they gave us two mini bottle. After a couple nights we requested it again and they told us they didn't have honey. After a while we called again and asked, someone else said yes and sent us another two mini bottles.

Nothing more to say. I would definitely NOT coming back again.

Stayed April 2015
Dear Guest, Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We regret to learn that your stay with us was far from exceptional and we sincerely apologize for the disappointing experience. We can completely understand your frustration and empathize. We are interested in connecting with you in regards to your stay to elevate our guest experience. If you could, please send us an e-mail at waikikiconnect@starwoodhotels.com. We look forward to connecting with you and again, sincerely apologize for the experience you have endured.
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

Wow! This place is truly amazing. Old style glamour. A trip through time to when ladies were ladies and gentlemen were gentleman. Don't expect to see a Kardashian or Kanye at this place. If you like class and sophistication, this is the place.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Dear Sabien, Thank you for staying with The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. We are delighted to learn that you had an spectacular experience at The Royal and enjoyed the Old World ambiance and glamor of our resort. Thank you for being our guest and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Warmest aloha.
Columbia, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This was my 3rd trip to Hawaii, and we (my new wife, just married on the beach on Maui and stepdaughter) were only going to be on Oahu one night before our flight left, so I figured we would "splurge" on the Royal Hawaiian. My dad had stayed there ... 70 years ago during WWII!
The room (JR Suite) was great, the staff and services were exceptional, friendly and courteous. We -were- treated like royalty even though we were there just one night.
The grounds were beautiful, the beach was impeccable, and the restaurants/bars were delightful.
Our big surprise was discovering the "Courtesy suite" on our checkout day. Our flight wasn't until early evening, but even though we had "checked out", and our luggage taken to the airport, we still had a room to relax in and freshen up before we left for the airport. That gave my wife and stepdaughter a 2nd day on the beach, and they made full use of it.
Now every time we watch Hawaii 5-0 we keep an eye out for the Pink Gem on the beach. We'll be sure to go back again!

Room Tip: The rooms are well and fairly described on the RH web site ... just pick one!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear mgkdrgn, Thank you for staying with The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. It is always wonderful to learn from guests that had family that have stayed at The Royal. We are pleased to learn that although we only had the opportunity welcome you and your family for a limited time, you had an exceptional experience from your beautifully furnished room to our warm and dedicated associates. Thank you for being our guest and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Warmest aloha.

Been to The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort? Share your experiences!