“The Pink Palace Is Ono! (That's Fab in Hawaiian!)” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #18 of 83 hotels in Honolulu
Roseland, New Jersey
“The Pink Palace Is Ono! (That's Fab in Hawaiian!)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

We love the Royal Hawaiian! Went there on our honeymoon many happy years ago and have celebrated our anniversary there the last two years. We like the Ali'i Tower with its great ocean view lanais, but our grown kids had a regular hotel garden room and loved it as well. Nothing better than a tropical breakfast on your lanai looking at the surf and Diamond Head! The Royal is an oasis in Waikiki with your arrival at the Banyan-treed courtyard next to the towering Sheraton Waikiki (way too big!), and its peaceful tropical inner courtyard just steps from the heart of Kalakua Ave. The staff is superb and friendly. The rooms are not huge, but nicely apponted and functional, with refrigerator, and your living room is Waikiki Beach and the beautiful blue Pacific. What more can you ask for? Just like the RH scene on Mad Men. Best of all is the beach, which is the BEST beach area on Waikiki. Great swimming for all ages. Plenty of chairs at a reservation cost, but worth it, and none of the usual who gets the chairs at the crack of dawn nonsense. Or free beach right in front of them. We stayed at Halekulani several times, but we like the ambiance and BEACH of the Royal better. Great Mai Tai Bar, for drinks, lunch and with Hawaiian entertainment every night. Nice shops. We love Newt for vintage Hawaiian shirts. Nice small pool (who needs one on this beach?) and right next door to Duke's beach bar at the Outrigger (by sand). The Waikiki Beach Boys are there to assist with outrigger canoe rides (ono!), surf and boogie boards etc. So step back into Hawaiian time. Truly relaxing, comforting, and yet steps away from all of Waikiki's action. That's tropical paradise braddah! We will be back and back.....Aloha!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
RHCoordinator, at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Aloha Conseiller99,

Maholo for your kind compliments and endorsement of our resort. We are delighted to hear that the ohana (family) had a wonderful stay and honored that we are the destination of choice when selecting a resort in Waikiki.

We are thrilled to read that sipping Mai Tais, listening to Hawaiian entertainers crooning and watching the surf right on the beach continues to be the classic travel story shared with family and friends back home. We hope that our resort and ambassadors will continue to inspire you and the Ohana with new experiences to add to your collection of tropical paradise on your next visit to The Royal Hawaiian. Until we meet again.

Warmest aloha

1,690 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
  • Korean first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

there were roaches all over the room! In and out of our luggage, purses and on toothbrushes. They gave us breakfast vouchers but the eggs Benedict had egg shells in it. We will try another hotel next time.

• Stayed April 2013
RHCoordinator, at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Aloha dmb1012,

It is with true regret to learn of the experience you encountered during your recent visit to The Royal Hawaiian. Exceptional service and refined accommodations are the hallmarks of our brand and this iconic property, and we strive to deliver exceptional service to each guest staying at our hotel.

We understand that a room move was extended and was declined. As you are aware, immediately following your initial report, we had the room professionally inspected while you were out enjoying the sights. We thank you for bring this matter to our attention. Managing the curve balls that Mother Nature throws at the resort can be challenging at times, but nevertheless are taken very seriously. The leadership takes proactive steps to ensure and implement protocols to prevent such occurrence.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences during your stay. We value your loyalty and hope you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our signature hospitality the next time you travel to Waikiki.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

The Royal Hawaiian or the Pink Palace was the best. Spent 7 nights there and it was truly a experience we will remember forever and will also return next time in Waikiki. Also recommend the historic tour with Thelma Kehaulani Kam she was very knowledgeable about the history of the "Royal" as she referred to it, and really put a story to the Pink Palace. Never felt more relaxed and rejuvenated after a trip.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha Michael K,

Mahalo for the gracious review. Our staff truly takes pride in providing service that is beyond expectation. Hearing feedback from guests such as you is one of the many reasons resort ambassadors are so proud to be a part of The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort. Kehaulani is one of our most prized treasures. We will be sure to share your kind comments with her. We look forward to welcoming you back for your next Hawaiian vacation. Warmest aloha,
Newport Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Let me give you a little back ground before I launch into this review.
Myu wife and I were going to take the kids (15 and 9) on a family vacation and I wanted to go to Waikiki as I had grown up going over there many times a year as a child and later a teen.
I remember really great times and I feel very fortunate that my parents almost always took us on these great vacations.
When i decided to visit the Roayl Hawaiian I was full of The Pink Palace in my head while i made the reservation. The location,the beach, the over all classic histroy of the venue. None of this was missed on our vacation.
We were greeted as expected by very nice people in the lobby and our two rooms were not ocean view but Royal Grove rooms which is an upgrade from their standard room. Since we had two rooms with the kids I did not feel like we needed to be on the water and quite frankly now that we stayed there for a week in those rooms I would not change as it was really quiet and we were never in the rooms really for more than sleep.
We had booked the hotel stay thru Costco which I had never done before and I highly encourage all of you to look into this. It was very cost effective and the people with Costco on the phone could not have been more helpful. Besides that we were traveling at the peak season of Spring Break and I could not even get a room online and then called Costco and they got me two rooms for a cheaper price. Go figure...
So we had breakfast included with our romms which is a huge plus for us with the kids and we enjoyed the breakfasts allot. Each morning the ladies at the restaurant would be wwaiting for us overlooking the beach and ocean. the food was really good and we did not get tired of the same menu as they changed it around a little bit.
The big positives of this property are the location (best in Waikiki), the kids pool and slide that is shared with the Sheraton next door, the awesome beach, and the fantastic shopping and restarurants that are outside the front door. In addition the hotel itself is really something to experience at least once in your lifetime.
It makes you want to jump back in time to the 1930's and roll up in a really cool car and open the door for your wife to arrive in...
A couple things we did extra...my wife and I did a couples massage outside in one of their cabanas and it was good...not great but good. The steam did not work in the mens spa and there was no jaquzzi when I was told on the phone there was...
We also rented a driver and a car thru the concierge and had him take us to the North Shore for the day and give a us a tour. This was very cool and although I wanted to scream at my kids after 4 hours in the car together...it was well worth it.
The kids paddle boarded every day and boogie boarded...for rent at the hut on the beach at the hotel. We had reserved lounge chairs ($40 per day) that at forst seem expensive but it can get crowded on the beach and having your own spot that no one can take is really worth it.
My wife took the kids to Pearl Harbor and they enjoyed it although you have to be up bright and early to get on the tour . She also took our daughter to the Royal Palace tour that they both enjoyed. Yes I was goofing off those two days walking up and down the beach and just plain relaxing. What a view of Diamond Head!!
We also ate at some great restaurants...I highly recommned The Beach House at the Moana Surfrider Hotel. This was by far our best dining experience. We sat out on the terrace at sunset and the food and service were fantastic. It was expensive but worth it.
The bar at the Sheraton next door is really cool and has the best view of all...with nightly live music. I recommend that place without the kids.
The Mai Tai bar at the Royal Hawaiin sits right on the beach and the staff could not be better!!! Cheryl is fantastic and we will definitely miss her smiling face. She made our time there very special and my kids think she is the best!
They ordered food there quite a bit and day one my oldest told me that he made friends with her and she was "cool"

The negatives...I hate writing this part but I think I need to.
Over all the hotel does a great job and we would go back but they lack in a couple areas. Just the little things like we asked for a wake up call at 5 am the morning that my wife was going to Pearl Harbor with the kids and nothing.....UGH ...no call.
Wine glsses that were left by house keeping in our room for three days before I had to take them out myself. Over all service at the hotel was average with the price we paid. Some of the people working there had a little bit of an attitude like they were burned out. My wife and I discussed this several times during our stay and again it would not keep us from going back but...it was not what you would expect with the dollars spent.
These are not huge issues but I thought worth mentioning.

Over all a great family vacation spot..not cheap ...but has everything.

Room Tip: The Royal Grove rooms are the best room for the money.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Aloha Rower Power,

Mahalo for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review. Thank you for your loyalty and for your endorsement of our resort. We are delighted to hear that the entire ohana enjoy their stay at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort.

Our hotel ambassadors strive to provide unparalleled services and memorable experiences to all our guests and we are pleased to read you experienced this first hand. We hope that your time with us will continue to be one of your favorite travel story to share again and again.

We look forward to the ohana’s next return trip to our beautiful island home.
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Over the years, the Royal Hawaiian never disappoints. Yes, it's expensive and while I miss some of the colors of the old rugs that have since been replaced, the customer service is like no other in the world. It's old school and the minute the valets take you care you are immediately transported into a time machine to an era of service that even the best hotels around the globe can't aspire too. It's a must to either visit or stay when I go to Honolulu. I prefer the original building rooms be they either garden or ocean view to the sterility of the towers. If you want an opportunity and the budget to experience service that is practically obsolete, this is the hotel. Great for business too!

Room Tip: The charm and architecture of the original building is not to be missed. However if you want that t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
RHCoordinator, at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Aloha RichardV413,

Mahalo for the kind compliments and endorsement of The Royal Hawaiian. We sincerely appreciate your recognition. Our resort ambassadors have a commitment to each guest to create exceptional experiences.

Creating spaces with old Hawaii charm, rich textures, beautiful lighting and amenities at an arm’s reach where guests never want to leave is our ultimate goal. We take pride in continuing the legacy of The Royal Hawaiian’s iconic past. We are pleased to hear of your exceptional visit and have shared your comments with our managers and resort ambassadors.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to The Royal Hawaiian soon.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We recently spent 11 nights at The Royal Hawaiian in a Junior Garden Suite in the original hotel. This hotel is a beautiful garden oasis right in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Waikiki Beach.

For what I imagine is a large hotel it feels small, not busy like the Sheraton next door which has tourist buses pulling up hourly. The recent renovation was very considered. The hotel's decor is classic vintage Hawaii. The art & light fittings a particular highlight.

What we liked about the hotel: it's placement right on the beachfront. Traveling with a baby made frequent trips to the beach/room very easy. The general low key feel of the hotel. The room was spacious, clean and the king size bed comfortable. Our suite had two separate rooms. A very large hotel room and a dedicated lounge room. As described the room looked over the gardens including a large tree with doves right in front of the window. It was quiet at night time except for Saturday night the whole area just seems busier. We also enjoyed some personal service from the hotel including an invitation to a drinks function with the General Manager. Concierge were extremely helpful in arranging car hire, dinner reservations & baby sitting.

What could have been better? We had to request a kettle and basic cutlery items for our room. I enjoy a cup of tea in the morning & at night but had to buy my own tea bags. A percolated coffee machine is in the room as standard and tea/coffee was available in the foyer daily until 9am. But staying in a suite I'd have thought this would have been included. The hair dryer was also very basic (and I left mine at home!). The bathroom is small but more than adequate. We were apply to buy beach mats and umbrella from the ABC shop and sit on the beach, but if you want a beach lounge you'll have to pay an additional US$40 a day which seems very expensive considereding its 'part of the deal' at other beach resorts around the world. The pool is small but right on the beach. Guests can use the Sheraton pool next door but that hotel is extremely busy (so good luck with that). A resort tax of US$35 per day is also charged and covers wi-fi, valet parking. The taxes and extra costs can quickly add up.

Overall we enjoyed staying here and would again (we factored in all taxes/charges before booking). The touch of pink detail everywhere is done with style and you can really feel the history in the place with photo memorabilia placed along corridors (including Bing Crosby with Hula girls!). If a 'tourist hotel' is not for you, then this could be your place to stay.

Room Tip: If you insist on a beach view stay in the tower. These rooms have uninterrupted views of the beach...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Aloha Missyv13,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review. It is with complete joy to read your kind compliments about the resort ambassadors and the exceptional services you and your ‘ohana (family) experienced first hand. In the heart of Waikiki, it is the resort ambassadors, iconic architecture and the lush landscaping that makes The Royal Hawaiian a luxury destination and tranquil escape for our guests.

We will be sure to share your compliments with our ambassadors. We look forward to welcoming your ‘ohana back to our beautiful island home.
Indian springs, al
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

We were impressed with the lovely grounds and friendly staff upon our arrival. Though we were earlier than normal check in, we were sent up to a room. Unfortunately, the room had not been cleaned. We called the desk and were immediately moved to a room down the hall. I tell you this so that you understand that we were prepared to be unhappy after the poor introduction. However, there was not a single flaw in the service for the remainder of our four day stay. We were in a tower room. The room was a good size. We kept our door to the veranda open a lot and enjoyed the sound of the waves from Wakiki Beach.

The concierge did a very good job of directing us or setting up excursions for us. We window shopped several of the shops on property. The operators were friendly whether or not we were making purchases. We enjoyed the historical significance of the property. It was good to see old pictures and read the book about the property provided in our room.

We would definitely stay here and recommend this property to friends.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha NKK,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We believe The Royal Hawaiian and the resort ambassadors epitomize the elegance and grace unique in the Hawaiian value of ho’okipa. This is the welcoming of guests and strangers alike with complete generosity of Aloha spirit and hospitality. Hearing feedback from guests such as you is one of the many reasons our hotel ambassadors are so proud to be a part of The Royal Hawaiian.

We will be sure to share your compliments with our resort ambassadors. We look forward to welcoming your ‘ohana back to our beautiful island home.

Been to The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort? Share your experiences!