“Consistently good.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Sydney Australia
“Consistently good.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I returned yesterday from my 3rd trip to The Royal Haawaiin at this time of year. For the past 3 years I have spent the first 12 days of December there knowing that it is not peak time. I had connecting rooms in the Tower where my wife and I stayed in one room and my 2 daughters in the adjoining room.

The rooms have been upgraded in recent years and are perfectly comfortable. They are not large by any means but when you are in Hawaii you do not spend a whole lot of time in your room. They rooms are spotlessly clean and functional. The only criticism I would have is that the air conditioning is quite loud.

The hotel is perfectly positioned and is in the premier position on Waikiki beach. I see some people have complained about the price - all they need to do is walk in the hotels either side and have a good look around , then go back to The Royal and walk around there and soak up the atmosphere. If they are being honest with themselves , after staying at The Royal Hawaiin , it would be very difficult to stay anywhere else.

For those complaining about the cost of the chairs and umbrellas , everyone else charges so I suppose it was only a matter of time , although most of the chairs were unoccupied.The only suggestion i would make would be that the RHH increase its "resort fee" or room rate by $40 per day and then set themselves apart by offering complimentary chairs and umbrellas , as they used to.

I will be back again next year

Room Tip: We had a room with wrap around balcony which was great.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
RHCoordinator, at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Aloha MCLee58,

Thank you for your continued loyalty to The Royal Hawaiian and the kind compliments about our resort. We look forward to welcoming you and the ohana back to The Royal Hawaiian for your next Hawaiian holiday.

1,835 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Stayed here for about a week. We were in the tower section which is a little newer, but the high floor gave us a great view of Diamondhead and the beach. We got to enjoy the grand old pink hotel and the great garden courtyard. The location can't be beat it is right on the beach and close to many great restaurants

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Aloha BDolgin,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back to Waikiki for your next Hawaiian holiday.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

I chose to stay at the Royal Hawaiin while in town for the Honolulu marathon. The location was convenient for both the start and finish of the race as well as the perfect spot to convalesce for a few days afterwards. I found the service to be polite and accomodating. I'm sorry I didn't get her name but one of the front desk agents went out of her way to move me to a more quiet room the night before the marathon as I had to get up at 3 a.m. and there was a wedding reception booked for the courtyard outside my original room that night. This extra effort made a big difference in the outcome of my race and was greatly appreciated. As for the rest of my stay as a solo traveller I spent some time up at the Mai Tai enjoying the company of the bartending staff and other travelers. I encountered many people who were repeat visitors to the hotel where the bar staff knew them by name. It was apparent that the service team enjoy their work and the people they interact with. Whatever happens behind the scenes to create this level of engagement in the service team, I hope that it continues and I will be back.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Aloha Surfndiver,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at The Royal Hawaiian. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the comforts of your guest room and the service you were provided. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful island home for the Marathon next year..
Gosford, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

The hotel was what we expected. Loved how central it was to everything but also how quiet and peaceful it was. Service was excellent. We had to change our flight due to our daughter's illness the night before we had to fly back home. The concierge Ms Ackroyd was fantastic - changing flights, organising a doctor, rescheduling shuttle bus to airport and extending our accommodation. Several hours of phone calls - she couldn't have been more helpful. We stayed in the historic building with partial ocean view - plenty of room and then moved to a garden room. It was slightly smaller but still very comfortable. All staff were courteous and went out of their way to help. The only unfavourable comment I can say is that after paying to stay at a luxury hotel, I didn't expect to have to pay extra for a beach chair especially when already being charged a daily resort fee.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Aloha roseyr1,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is with complete joy to read your kind compliments about our hotel ambassadors and the exceptional services you experienced first hand.
We will be sure to share your compliments with our hotel ambassadors and leaders. We look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful island home.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Not only do guests get freshly baked banana bread delivered to your room, as a Platinum SPG member, we got two complimentary lunch coupons for the beachside restaurant. The location is very convenient, beach access is a must, and the experience was just magical.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
AlohaAmy L,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Royal Hawaiian. As a valued SPG Platinum member, we truly appreciate your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful island home.
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My Partner and I went to Waikiki for My Birthday and chose the Sheraton Waikiki for the first night and The Royal Hawaiian for the next two nights because We wanted to try both Hotels as They both looked great online. The Sheraton Waikiki was incredible and We loved it (You can check out My 5 Star review of it on Trip Advisor for more details). We stayed at The Sheraton Maui several years ago and when I reviewed in on Trip Advisor I gave it a 5 star review as well. The Royal Hawaiian however was a let down on all levels. It started before We left-when I called to let the Hotel know I was celebrating My Birthday at the Hotel and to check to make sure the reservation was in order-whoever I spoke to was short with Me and ended the call quickly before I could request a quiet non smoking room with 2 beds on a mid to high floor. I didnt want to call back so I sent the Hotel an E-mail with My requests. I got an automated response that Someone would respond to me quickly via E-mail. I am back from My trip now and Nobody ever responded. I booked an Ocean Tower room and when We checked in They insisted I had booked a Garden view room-Thankfully I brought a printed voucher from the booking site and after the Front Desk Agent made several calls I was finally alloted the correct room type. At this point They gave Us cold scented towels and glasses of juice. I asked the Front Desk Agent for a quiet non smoking room with 2 beds on a mid to high floor. When We got to the room on the 8th floor the carpet was dirty and had large brown stains on it. The room was across from the elevator and You could hear the loud dings every time Someone got off of it. At this point I was really stressed out and went back to The Front Desk to change rooms or go back to The Sheraton which is Their sister Hotel. I will spare Everyone the details but it was not fun. Eventually We were given a room that was non smoking, quiet and had 2 beds that was on the 3rd floor. The room was spotlessly clean and nicely appointed. The beds were springy and not that comfortable but there were nice linens and pillows. The Sheraton Waikiki had much better Sweet Sleeper beds. The rest of Our stay was Okay except that it took 3 calls to finally get the much touted and excellent Banana Bread. Eventually Someone sent up a slice of cake for My Birthday which was nice and the cake was
excellent. After the terrible start I began to like the place and the room. The larger Pool that was shared with the Sheraton was really nice and well maintained and We spent alot of time there. The pool at The Royal Hawaiian was tiny and the hot tub jets didnt work but it was a nice quiet place to lay around on the Chaise lounges. Vacation time is valuable and this place wasted alot of it and stressed Me out at the crucial beginning of My stay. The Royal Hawaiian website goes on and on about Their excellent Customer service-blah-blah-blah. This Hotel should stop resting on its laurels and take a cue from Their Sister Hotel The Sheraton Waikiki which has excellent Customer service and blows this place away on all levels. I would highly recommend the Sheraton Waikiki in an Ocean Front room. Also We had excellent reasonably priced meals At House Without A Key (Kiawe Barbecue on Thursday), Uncle Bo's (Best Fish dishes ever) and Mackys for for great Garlic Shrimp. We loved Waikiki and Oahu.

Room Tip: The 3rd floor away from the elevator worked for Us.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha ChrisSanFrancisco,

Thank you for taking the time to posting your review. We are disappointed that your stay was anything less than exceptional. Bringing these details to our attention allows us to improve and I have shared your feedback with our leaders.

We hope that you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our signature hospitality, for which The Royal Hawaiian is known.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My wife and I came to Hawaii for the first time to celebrate our anniversary. When we checked and informed the hotel of our celebration, we were sent a complimentary bottle of champagne that was excellent. The service here has been wonderful. Our room was recently renovated and nicely done. The hotel is right on the beach and we loved spending our time there. We took advantage of the pool and hot tub. The cabana derive was great and we loved our time in the cabana. We ate the the Azure restaurant in the hotel and let me tell you, the food was awesome. It has been a great time and we will definitely come back again.

• Stayed December 2012
Aloha NewHavenRTC
We are honored that you chose to celebrate such an important milestone in your life at The Royal Hawaiian. It is a joy to read your recent review of The Royal Hawaiian. Our hotel ambassadors strive to provide exceptional service to all our guests and we are pleased to read you experienced this first hand. Thank you for your kind compliments and we look forward to welcoming you back to our corner of paradise.

Been to The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort? Share your experiences!