“Gardens” 5 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #21 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
“Gardens”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Stayed here for about a week. We were in the tower section which is a little newer, but the high floor gave us a great view of Diamondhead and the beach. We got to enjoy the grand old pink hotel and the great garden courtyard. The location can't be beat it is right on the beach and close to many great restaurants

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
RHCoordinator, at The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Aloha BDolgin,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back to Waikiki for your next Hawaiian holiday.

1,841 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

I chose to stay at the Royal Hawaiin while in town for the Honolulu marathon. The location was convenient for both the start and finish of the race as well as the perfect spot to convalesce for a few days afterwards. I found the service to be polite and accomodating. I'm sorry I didn't get her name but one of the front desk agents went out of her way to move me to a more quiet room the night before the marathon as I had to get up at 3 a.m. and there was a wedding reception booked for the courtyard outside my original room that night. This extra effort made a big difference in the outcome of my race and was greatly appreciated. As for the rest of my stay as a solo traveller I spent some time up at the Mai Tai enjoying the company of the bartending staff and other travelers. I encountered many people who were repeat visitors to the hotel where the bar staff knew them by name. It was apparent that the service team enjoy their work and the people they interact with. Whatever happens behind the scenes to create this level of engagement in the service team, I hope that it continues and I will be back.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Aloha Surfndiver,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at The Royal Hawaiian. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the comforts of your guest room and the service you were provided. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful island home for the Marathon next year..
Gosford, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

The hotel was what we expected. Loved how central it was to everything but also how quiet and peaceful it was. Service was excellent. We had to change our flight due to our daughter's illness the night before we had to fly back home. The concierge Ms Ackroyd was fantastic - changing flights, organising a doctor, rescheduling shuttle bus to airport and extending our accommodation. Several hours of phone calls - she couldn't have been more helpful. We stayed in the historic building with partial ocean view - plenty of room and then moved to a garden room. It was slightly smaller but still very comfortable. All staff were courteous and went out of their way to help. The only unfavourable comment I can say is that after paying to stay at a luxury hotel, I didn't expect to have to pay extra for a beach chair especially when already being charged a daily resort fee.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Aloha roseyr1,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is with complete joy to read your kind compliments about our hotel ambassadors and the exceptional services you experienced first hand.
We will be sure to share your compliments with our hotel ambassadors and leaders. We look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful island home.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Not only do guests get freshly baked banana bread delivered to your room, as a Platinum SPG member, we got two complimentary lunch coupons for the beachside restaurant. The location is very convenient, beach access is a must, and the experience was just magical.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
AlohaAmy L,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Royal Hawaiian. As a valued SPG Platinum member, we truly appreciate your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful island home.
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My Partner and I went to Waikiki for My Birthday and chose the Sheraton Waikiki for the first night and The Royal Hawaiian for the next two nights because We wanted to try both Hotels as They both looked great online. The Sheraton Waikiki was incredible and We loved it (You can check out My 5 Star review of it on Trip Advisor for more details). We stayed at The Sheraton Maui several years ago and when I reviewed in on Trip Advisor I gave it a 5 star review as well. The Royal Hawaiian however was a let down on all levels. It started before We left-when I called to let the Hotel know I was celebrating My Birthday at the Hotel and to check to make sure the reservation was in order-whoever I spoke to was short with Me and ended the call quickly before I could request a quiet non smoking room with 2 beds on a mid to high floor. I didnt want to call back so I sent the Hotel an E-mail with My requests. I got an automated response that Someone would respond to me quickly via E-mail. I am back from My trip now and Nobody ever responded. I booked an Ocean Tower room and when We checked in They insisted I had booked a Garden view room-Thankfully I brought a printed voucher from the booking site and after the Front Desk Agent made several calls I was finally alloted the correct room type. At this point They gave Us cold scented towels and glasses of juice. I asked the Front Desk Agent for a quiet non smoking room with 2 beds on a mid to high floor. When We got to the room on the 8th floor the carpet was dirty and had large brown stains on it. The room was across from the elevator and You could hear the loud dings every time Someone got off of it. At this point I was really stressed out and went back to The Front Desk to change rooms or go back to The Sheraton which is Their sister Hotel. I will spare Everyone the details but it was not fun. Eventually We were given a room that was non smoking, quiet and had 2 beds that was on the 3rd floor. The room was spotlessly clean and nicely appointed. The beds were springy and not that comfortable but there were nice linens and pillows. The Sheraton Waikiki had much better Sweet Sleeper beds. The rest of Our stay was Okay except that it took 3 calls to finally get the much touted and excellent Banana Bread. Eventually Someone sent up a slice of cake for My Birthday which was nice and the cake was
excellent. After the terrible start I began to like the place and the room. The larger Pool that was shared with the Sheraton was really nice and well maintained and We spent alot of time there. The pool at The Royal Hawaiian was tiny and the hot tub jets didnt work but it was a nice quiet place to lay around on the Chaise lounges. Vacation time is valuable and this place wasted alot of it and stressed Me out at the crucial beginning of My stay. The Royal Hawaiian website goes on and on about Their excellent Customer service-blah-blah-blah. This Hotel should stop resting on its laurels and take a cue from Their Sister Hotel The Sheraton Waikiki which has excellent Customer service and blows this place away on all levels. I would highly recommend the Sheraton Waikiki in an Ocean Front room. Also We had excellent reasonably priced meals At House Without A Key (Kiawe Barbecue on Thursday), Uncle Bo's (Best Fish dishes ever) and Mackys for for great Garlic Shrimp. We loved Waikiki and Oahu.

Room Tip: The 3rd floor away from the elevator worked for Us.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha ChrisSanFrancisco,

Thank you for taking the time to posting your review. We are disappointed that your stay was anything less than exceptional. Bringing these details to our attention allows us to improve and I have shared your feedback with our leaders.

We hope that you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our signature hospitality, for which The Royal Hawaiian is known.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My wife and I came to Hawaii for the first time to celebrate our anniversary. When we checked and informed the hotel of our celebration, we were sent a complimentary bottle of champagne that was excellent. The service here has been wonderful. Our room was recently renovated and nicely done. The hotel is right on the beach and we loved spending our time there. We took advantage of the pool and hot tub. The cabana derive was great and we loved our time in the cabana. We ate the the Azure restaurant in the hotel and let me tell you, the food was awesome. It has been a great time and we will definitely come back again.

• Stayed December 2012
Aloha NewHavenRTC
We are honored that you chose to celebrate such an important milestone in your life at The Royal Hawaiian. It is a joy to read your recent review of The Royal Hawaiian. Our hotel ambassadors strive to provide exceptional service to all our guests and we are pleased to read you experienced this first hand. Thank you for your kind compliments and we look forward to welcoming you back to our corner of paradise.
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stayed four nights in Nov 2012. I remembered Waikiki beach as wild, crowded and not relaxing...but the stay here completely reversed that opinion. Arrival we were greeted with warm welcome aloha, a lei and refreshing guava drink, while seated at a concierge-type reception desk and full discussion of amenities and available rooms. We were early, 11:00 and asked for a tower ocean-front room (spg platinum) which would be available at 1PM. We returned much later, the room was ready and our balcony did have a view of Diamond Head and the beach & ocean.....Shaded and just lovely. Oh, that bed......the main reason we continue as SPG Plat is to keep those upgrades and stay in luxury collection or Westin because of the bedding. Even the Sheraton sweet sleeper in some cases have wonderful textiles. This king bed was fabulous and so restful; the great sheets crisp and cool when we came in daily from activities to really rest. The whole room was elegant and understated; with old-world Hawaii charm, heavy furniture and good lighting. Marble or travertine bath and a bidet/toilette you should research (Toto washlet s300) to get a real idea of this amenity. The pink-striped robes were lined with creamy feeling terry, and so comfortable; drinking my PINK champagne (gift from hotel for our anniversary) on the balcony in my robe was a highlight! The manager's reception was a Christmas event, with carolers and a tree-lighting, and the best appetizers and chef's bites in addition to free-flowing mai tais and pink champagne. We never made it to the mai tai bar to try the world famous mai tai but these were excellent; rich carmelized rum atop refreshing pineapple juice. The ice machine outside our room was a "nugget" machine; my favorite kind of ice. Chewable small cubes that melt more slowly, super-chill a drink and add to the refreshment of even a glass of water. It was in a small cabinet available any time. LOVED THAT! One night we went for a swim off the beach; there are big lights into the water and it was heavenly. The water there is clear and refreshing, excellent sandy bottom and good soft sand beach. The waves were perfect for just bouncing gently and watching the shore in chest-depth, listening to the ukelele music drifting out. We returned to our room and ordered up a burger, which was absolute BLISS! The texture and flavor of the rich beef was exquisite, and the quality of the bun, some kind of soft and dense bakery style bun was mouth-watering. Extraordinary hamburger. Mornings take you downstairs to a beachside/poolside outdoor cafe and there are selections for SPG breakfast which is cereal, croissant, fruit, yogurt or toast and juice & coffee. The coffee is delicious. You can upgrade to a full breakfast for $15 but we were fine with what was offerred. Overall the lovely grounds, peaceful and gracious are worlds away from the hustle-bustle out on the street or on the beach mid-day; yet all are mere steps away. The only negative is that twice I had soaped up my face and reaching for a washcloth.....found there were none and I had to call. The other two nights they remembered to replace our washcloths. It is private, and we got exactly what we went for....rest each night and a beautiful place to quietly ease into the day each morning.

Room Tip: I am sure the historic portion has magnificient rooms, but our mission in hawaii is always to view t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha lg7128,

Thank you for taking the time to detail your recent stay at The Royal Hawaiian. As a valued SPG Platinum member, we truly appreciate your feedback.
Our Hotel Ambassadors have a commitment to each guest to create exceptional experiences. We take pride in continuing the legacy of The Royal Hawaiian’s iconic past. We are pleased to hear of your exceptional visit and have shared your kind compliments with our managers and Ambassadors.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Hawaiian as our ohana.
With warmest aloha,

Been to The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort? Share your experiences!