Despite what I am about to say, we have stayed at the RH on several occasions, and wouldn't stay anywhere else in Waikiki. Is it a 5* resort? well I have always had my reservations about that. The common areas are majestic, and relaxing. The staff (especially the chambermaids who address you by name) are all friendly and smiling and the hotel location can't be beat. It is truly an oasis in between the hustle and bustle of the main shopping street and the beach.
The couple of things I have always had a gripe about, is (1) the size of the bedrooms in the tower. They have a couple of allocated floors where you can smoke outside on the lanai. Granted there are three of us in there, but the beds are only twin size (4'6"). The closet is shockingly small and located in the bathroom. We have NEVER been able to stow our suitcases because there isn't anywhere. The rooms have been decorated since we first went there, but the decor is nothing special. The views of the sunrise and sunset are awesome and all the rooms face the ocean.
My second gripe has always been the way they allocate the beach beds. Although they have made slight improvements since the first time we went, when we were told that we had to guests for at least 20 years to get a front row bed. You have to be a sprinter of olympic ability to guarantee your space at 7am.
The beach side restaurant(Surf Lanai) now offers a buffet breakfast for $35 per head, but again it really wasn't anything special, as far as I could see.
Susan at the beach bar makes a wicked mai tai.
We paid a resort fee of $20+ tax per day, however, this along with the room rates have now been increased.
The RH is a special place and I do feel disloyal reporting negative things, don't let it dissuade you from staying here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Waikiki Beach Hotel, has Abhasa Spa, renowned restaurants, and a pool with a waterslide and cabanas. We have gorgeous indoor and outdoor event space for weddings and meetings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Starwood, Otel, Booking.com, Despegar.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Hotel Honolulu
- Royal Hawaiian Honolulu
- The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort Hawaii/Honolulu