“Perfect Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aston at the Executive Centre Hotel

You added Aston at the Executive Centre Hotel to your Saves list
Aston at the Executive Centre Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1088 Bishop Street, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96813 (Formerly ResortQuest at the Executive Centre Hotel) (Downtown Honolulu)   |
Ranked #58 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Brooklyn, NY
“Perfect Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Aston Executive Centre is well situated in downtown Honolulu. It is the perfect alternative for folks seeking historical and cultural attractions in Honolulu. The staff could not be more caring and attentive and Huki'lau the in-house restaurant is superb. Ask for an upper floor room with its sweeping views of the seaport or the mountains. The pool is a gem, hidden away and very pleasing. Honolulu Transit ("The Bus") lines #1 and #2 stop just outside of the Aston on Hotel Street and make all attractions and shopping accessible for a mere $2.50

It is also a 5 minute taxi ride to the cruise ship terminal making it a great transition facility between long journeys from the mainland to an aloha from the 50th state. If you want an alternative to the cookie cutter, could be any place atmosphere of Waikiki, this is it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Korean first
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

This Hotel had to be worst place I have ever stayed. The room smelled like mold, there was zero air flow, the air conditioning vents were filthy. There was mold on the walls in the bathroom, something housekeeping should have seen before room was cleared for occupancy. When I complained, the staff was apologetic but did nothing to fix the problem. I return next to Oahu for work, and will be staying in another Hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
AstonEXCGM, General Manager at Aston at the Executive Centre Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Aloha Melinda-Mcweeney,

I am sorry that you did not have a positive experience at our hotel. We do our best to ensure that our guests are satisfied and that we meet their expectations.

We care very much about our guests and their comfort. We wished you contacted the hotel staff or management about your dissatisfaction before check out. I am certain, given the opportunity, we could have provided you with a room that met and/or exceeded your expectations.

The Executive Centre staff and management truly want your stay at the Executive Centre to be all that you expect it to be and are saddened that we were not allowed a chance to help you.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on the Aston Executive Centre.

Clem

If anyone has any questions or concerns about our hotel, please feel free to contact me directly at clem.lagundimao@astonhotels.com.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I can't speak for all rooms but mine on the 40th floor had the most amazing views with spacious lounge area and large bedroom. It wasn't an ultra modern hotel room but was very clean and comfortable. I did notice that the continental breakfasts are going to be discontinued.
But what I would like to mention the most is the unbelievably friendly and helpful staff. Nothing was a problem no matter what we asked them and they were always ready with maps and suggestions at any time of the day.
Yes the downtown area does have lots of homeless people at night but we were aware of this beforehand and were very careful - we never felt threatened at any stage though. Transport wasn't a problem into Waikiki as the bus stops literally right outside the hotel. There's buses every 5 minutes and costs $2.50 for the trip. This took between 20 and 30 minutes depending on the time of day.
If you want something away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki this place is great. There's plenty of places to eat nearby. Try out the amazing salad bar just across the street and directly opposite McDonalds.
Catherine

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

My husband and I were in Honolulu for 6 days to attend a conference. We stayed July 29-Aug 3, 2013. Sunset was 7pm daily, I wouldn't suggest walking in the downtown area after dark.

Please note that you should not try to take your luggage down the escalator to the lobby, there is an elevator to the left. My husband tried, and almost fell. It is very difficult. Use the elevator instead.

Our first room booked had mold on the vent covers, and an uncovered, disgusting air conditioner/furnace in the top of the hallway closet. Luckily for us, the unit next to us was being remodeled and the paint smell was so overwhelming that we had to be moved to a different floor on the third day of our stay. The second room we were moved to was much nicer, and did not have any of the mold/problem areas.

Overall, this is probably a wonderful hotel for business travelers (depending on the room you get), but know that it is not close to the beach unless you take a taxi or rent a car. Also, they no longer serve breakfast on the 40th floor, so if that is important to you, it was not provided in Aug. 2013. However, there are breakfast options available within walking distance - a McDonalds and a Subway, and some local cuisine restaurants. The onsite restaurant had great food for lunch and dinner, and their staff was wonderful.

The hotel staff was amazing and very attentive.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
AstonEXCGM, General Manager at Aston at the Executive Centre Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Aloha Lisa P.

Thank you for posting on Tripadvisor.com. Your feedback is appreciated.

As you state, the Aston Executive Centre's downtown location is excellent for business travelers but our location offers much, more for non-business leisure travelers. The Executive Centre is located very close to historic Chinatown, where a multitude of neat shops, historic pre-WW II buildings, open markets and authentic multicultural restaurants are within an eight block radius. A beautiful swimming beach and shopping at the largest mall in the state, is a mere 5 minute car ride. Being located in central Oahu, the Aston Executive Centre is close to the majority of featured visitor attractions such as the Arizona Memorial, Iolani Palace, the State Capital, National Cemetery of the Pacific, Falls of Clyde, Bishop Museum, Academy of Arts, the Aloha Tower.

Am happy that you had a pleasant stay with us and the "amazing and attentive" hotel staff provided you a second room that met your expectations. At any time during your stay, please let us know if you have a concern. We will immediately do all that we can to resolve your concern.

The Aston Executive Centre sends reservation confirmation emails to all guests and contained in the email are driving directions to the hotel and parking instructions. In response to your post, we will add instructions to contact the Front Desk for luggage assistance from curbside or to utilize the street level elevator to access the Lobby.

Our customers are one our best sources of constructive feedback and we appreciate your input to make our hotel a better place for all who enter our doors.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on the Aston Executive Centre.

Clem Lagundimao
Aston at the Executive Centre
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

What a great gem of a hotel in Honolulu, since I can't afford (fixed income sucks!) my absolute all-time favorite anymore; the Royal Hawaiian. This Aston property is run like the Aston property adjacent to Wailea on Maui: (the Aston Maui Hill) expertly!!! WE enjoyed a fantastic continental breakfast in the guest lounge on the 40th floor every morning, which was so handy and indulgent. The little sports-bar restaurant "Hukilau" (at the same level as the reception desk) offered a good lunch when we were too busy to get one otherwise. Got to all my meetings with no stress! Easy spot to grab a taxi to about anywhere on the island. Very clean and roomy apartment-style room, so you can easily prep small meals without braving the craziness of Chinatown.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I had never stayed at the Aston Executive Centre and no one that I knew was familiar with the Aston. The hotels close to the airport are mediocre at best, so the next area closest to HNL is the business area. The room that I stayed in at the Aston was a clean,spacious suite with a kitchenette, dining and living room area. The bed was very comfortable and I had a great night's sleep. The other advantage of staying at the business centre is that the partying tourists tend to stay at the tourist hotels so it is quieter at the Aston.
The disadvantages are: navigation and parking fees. There isn't a convenient place to temporarily park, check in and unload. There are no bellhops to assist you with directions or your luggage. If it wasn't for the help from a Aston employee on break who noticed the lost expression on my face, I would not have figured out how to get to the lobby since the escalator was out of service. Aston's management has a 10 minute teaser 'free' parking rate. There isn't any way you can find a parking space, check in and drop off your luggage in 10 minutes. Management should give their hotel guest checking in a voucher rather than insult their guests with this ridiculous 10 minute grace period that no one can use. Zero aloha in the checking in and parkjng process.

• Stayed May 2013
AstonEXCGM, General Manager at Aston at the Executive Centre Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Aloha 12Safari,

We are happy you had a restful, relaxing stay at the Aston Executive Centre and enjoyed your clean, spacious, fully equipped suite. I agree that life in the Aston Executive Centre is peaceful after a long day at the office or sightseeing because you are not surrounded by the crowds of leisure travelers you will find in Waikiki.

It appears by your comments that you did not receive your email confirmation. The confirmation explains the parking and check in procedure. If you booked through a travel agent, the confirmation containing the parking and check in instructions may have been emailed to the travel agent (if their email address was provided at the time of booking). Basically the confirmation would contain instructions to park in an unreserved stall and proceed via the parking elevators to the Lobby Front Desk to check in. At the Front Desk, you are assigned a reserved stall that you would use for the length of your stay. Finally, the Front Desk clerk would go with you to the garage, retrieve your luggage from your car and take it directly to your room. We are sorry if you did not receive your confirmation as the confirmation would have explained the parking/check in procedure.

Unfortunately, Aston does not oversee, manage, set rates or policies for the parking garage. The parking rates and protocol are set by the parking contractor and approved by the Executive Centre's Board of Directors. We will suggest that the grace period be extended. Thank you for your comments.

I am very glad that an off duty Aston employee recognized that you needed help and took the initiative to assist you. We are very proud of our employees, who regularly go out of their way to assist anyone who needs help. Providing help to anyone in need, is part of our ALOHA Spirit that we gladly share with all that stay at the Aston Executive Centre.

Overall, it appears you had a wonderful stay at the Aston Executive Centre. We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Mahalo for posting on Tripadvisor.com.

Clem

If anyone has any comments or concerns, feel free to contact me at clem.lagundimao@astonhotels.com.
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Well, this property is an interesting one and kind of hard to review.The location is wonderful for downtown. 3 blocks from the water (with a Gordon Biersch restaurant). The rooms are spacious and views outstanding. The one trip advsior who said the daily continental breakfast was meager was being generous. Pretty pathetic and no protein (unless you count peanut butter packets or cream cheese). Anyway, over the days I figured out what I could eat besides donuts which I cannot eat at all.

The biggest downside is that the rooms are really dated. I always avoid places that are described as "clean", but these are. The rooms are huge and with just a facelift, they could be easily become outstanding. Over the days of my stay, the place did grow on me. Nice having a kitchen and the place is really quiet. Very little traffic noice from the streets below from higheer floors (downtown shuts down at night). The building is obviously concrete which adds to the quiet living space.

For anyone visiting the Queens Medical center, the location is perfect! Easy walking distance. Also, for tourists, only one block to the Iolani Palace and the old Hawaii Theater.

The biggest downside for a woman traveling alone is that downtown is NOTwalk-able at night. Some shady people and areas. If you don't want to lock down in your room after dark (which is unfortunately 7:00 pm) - don't stay here. If you are on business and doing work and going to bed - it is fine. I kind of miss the Waikiki shopping and walking after dark. I will have to catch a daylight bus to enjoy that at some time during the trip. Also, due to the no walking after dark - the dining experiences are limited. Waikiki has many more places to walk and eat after dark.

So, overall - I would stay here again. It could be a good home base for some tourist trips. But if you want shopping and after dark eating. Not the place to be without a car or bus ride. Good luck and Aloha,

Room Tip: Higher floors will have less traffic noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
AstonEXCGM, General Manager at Aston at the Executive Centre Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Aloha Skyhy from California,

Thank you for posting your feedback on tripadvisor.com.

Thought it would be helpful to provide feedback from the Executive Centre Sales Manager. A single female business traveler who stays in many major cities all around the United States.

"As a female business traveler myself who often travels alone, I can relate to your comment regarding the downtown area not being walk-able after dark, however guest safety in downtown Honolulu might be “misguided”. There has been a “downtown renaissance” aimed by both the private and public sector in revitalizing this area and I have witnessed a number of new establishments; restaurants, night-clubs, boutiques and condominiums develop in the downtown area over the recent years and we look forward to the new Wal-Mart which is slated to open in 2014. As in most major cities, we should always exercise caution and encourage our guests to use their best judgment during the evening hours. Like other cities, there are certain parts of the cities you’d like to avoid, but I don’t believe that guest safety has been a major issue at this hotel since I have started working here in 1998. I am confident that you and your business associates will come to know Aston at the Executive Centre Hotel as your “home away from home” as it has been for many other visitors over the years. "

Again, Mahalo for your comments and we hope to host you again in the near future.

Clem

If anyone has questions about the Aston Executive Centre, please feel free to contact me at clem.lagundimao@astonhotels.com.

Been to Aston at the Executive Centre Hotel? Share your experiences!