“Comfortable rooms and great location!” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
US$200 Resort Credit
Ranked #3 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
“Comfortable rooms and great location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

First, the good...Spacious rooms with balconies to take in either a view of the ocean or the hillside. We had a hillside view and enjoyed sitting outside while the sun went down and we listened to the cascading waterfall below us. Our room was very clean and the bedding was of excellent quality with plenty of pillows. Our housekeeper was very nice and gladly left us extra coffee upon request. The alarm clock with latest IPhone connection was convenient for listening to music and charging my phone. In general, the staff is friendly, smiling and very helpful...must say thanks again to Taylor in The Veranda for her excellent recommendations and great attitude.

This a a great place to stay overall but here are a few things that need improvement.
My partner arrived a day earlier than I did and he was greeted with a welcome and a lei. I showed up the next day and got neither. Maybe I just missed "Lei day" but for consistency, it would have been nice to get the same greeting.
At the pool, service was spotty and it was difficult to find someone to give you a towel. I'd have preferred they just place a pile of them in one location for everyone to grab as needed. This item may be just my own personal issue but the dolphins on the premises make me feel sad. They live in a pretty small space compared to the ocean that they could be living in just several yards away. I know the kids and families love these amazing animals and get to experience them up close but I'd rather travel to see them in the wild where they came from.

Room Tip: Most activities (pool, dolphins, etc.) are happening on the ocean view side. If you'd like a qui...
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

The Kahala offers great service and wonderful dining options. The beach is not huge but kept groomed and the service on the beach is spot on. The pool is not as large as we would have thought but again the service is outstanding
It's possible to swim with dolphins without leaving the pool area and great for kids
We would go back anytime!

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Forest, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This resort was amazing! We loved most every minute! The weekends are exceptionally busy with weddings everywhere. But, don't let that deter you, it's a magical place. The rooms are beautiful and the service is top notch. The beach area was a little on the small side, but a gorgeous view. We ate only breakfast in the hotel, but I have Celiac Disease and can only have gluten free. They accommodate! Housekeeping was wonderful and the rooms very clean, the entire property was clean. We had one issue with the parking garage, but that will be taken care of. We are planning a trip back to stay the entire time there. You won't be disappointed!

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We just returned from the Kahala. Must be our 15th time! Had a "partial ocean view Lanai" which was everything we could hope for. At check in, we were first offered a mountain view, but my wife really wanted to see ocean, and of course, they accomodated her with this great room.
Breakfast at Plumeria was excellent as usual. Had drinks at small bar in Hoku's which was fun and relaxing. New Italian restaurant was a problem, as we could not get in. We were there a week and could not get a reservation. I think hotel guests should always be accomodated, but apparently this restaurant is not owned by the hotel and it shows. The staff are what really makes your stay here exceptional and they came through once again. My only issue is that their needs to be more shade options at the beach. No one sits in the sun anymore, and it gets competitive for the shade under the tree. Can't wait for our next trip in the fall!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the lagoon are terrific! You can sit on the balcony and watch the dolphin show se...
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Having decided on The Kahala for this trip as somewhere new to try based on family recommendations we had high expectations.

I reached out to the reservations staff prior to our arrival on a few items for our stay and the level of service (by Sherrilyn) was simply exceptional and world class.

We had a family group (under two surnames) and for my family we had an ocean front suite which was truly stunning and being right above the dolphins was a life long memory just alone to see our 2yr old son's reaction each day and night calling out and talking to all the dolphins.

We had one major issue that we book a king bed suite and when we arrived we found two basically over sized single beds in our suite.

We had requested this set up for my sister in laws room ,but not our suite, and after two attempts speaking with the front desk we were told "the G.M will call you to resolve" and that never happened, which was disappointing.

We had an issue with our bill which also took multiple conversations to resolve.

These, I guess are admin issues but the bedding was a major one and very disappointing we never were called to resolve for us during our 3 night stay.

The resort itself is truly beautiful and the location is what really sets it apart from other leading resorts such as The Halekulani.

Having the dolphin lagoon is amazing and offers a real unique aspect to your stay here.

Having swam with many sea turtles in Hawaii I did find it a little sad to see sea turtles in a very small pond, but perhaps they are happy, although it seems almost cruel to me.

The buffet breakfast here is below world class and well below expectations and has no soul.

The omelet and egg station is great but the rest is very poor indeed.

Perhaps most people have breakfast as their rate so the Kahala doesn't see the need to be world class in this area which is a shame, as something like this will make people stay elsewhere in the future.

We had read many people in their reviews saying how small the pool is, and sure it's not huge but it was more than ok - although we were there in off peak season, so I could see it being painful to get a seat in summer for example.

The beach and bay is simply stunning.

The free wifi was the worst I have uncounted in any resort on the planet as it drops out constantly and you are not aware it has dropped out, and then you have to re log in, which we had to do approx 10 times a day over just a few hours in the room - simply useless.
*We all had this issue regardless of device etc.

I can be hard to please (as my wife tells me often) but having been lucky enough to travel across the world there are certain expectations you come to expect when staying AND paying for a resort such as The Kahala and although it truly is beautiful it is expensive and does need some more love and attention.

Room Tip: ocean front is stunning
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We drove up and were promptly greeted with beautiful Leis as the car was whisked away and our luggage promptly gathered. The experience took a dramatic turn when the person at the front desk told us we would not have a King size bed because we did not "request" one upon booking. It was not so much WHAT she said, but the WAY she said it. Somewhat condescending and leaving the distinct impression that the satisfaction of other customers was more important than ours. NOT good news when you are on your anniversary. The room was nice but when I turned on the light it flickered like a strobe light in a disco. My wife was very unhappy. I called to talk to the Manager but he was "busy" with others. After a while he called me and we were given a significant upgrade to a beachfront room with lanai; but had to pay an additional $250. At first I was a bit put out but came to find that the room they gave me was quite a bit more expensive than our original booking and the $250 was a fantastic bargain. Perhaps the complimentary bottle of Champagne helped too!
We ate at Hoku's and the food was good but the service was incredible. The lady who served us helped so much with the pairing of the wines with our meal and great options for going through the menu. She made the experience so much better and even gave us a complimentary dessert with candles for our anniversary.
We also invited friends for the seafood buffet at the Plumeria, it was simply outstanding! We all enjoyed the great selection of food and wine list was great too. It was a wonderful and memorable evening for us all.
The beautiful and SECURE beach was relaxing beyond compare and unlike the rest of the island where you get a ticket for drinking at the beach, they have a wonderful beach/poolside bar.
We will definitely visit again and if it had not been for that one person at Check In it would have easily been a five star experience.

Room Tip: 1240 is great room right by the beach and with great access to everything.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We had excellent experiences at every level during our six-day stay (my husband and I traveled with our 9 y old daughter).

However there are two things to mention that unfortunately are on not on the good side: although our "scenic ocean view" one bedroom suite was in a very good shape, the state of the hotel in general is showing visible signs of degradation.
Perhaps the hotel will go through a renovation before things get (much) worse.

But one very short dialogue that I had with a young pool staff member was really unbelievable, and, I think, absolutely not excusable:
"Excuse me, where is the restroom?"
"Right there (he gave me indications)." and he added smiling "Or you can jump into the pool and pee in there."

I would like to count this incident on the "weird travel experiences" category yet WOW!!! I was stupefied. What kind of training (if any) the pool staff receives? To feel free to give these kind of "pee in the pool" suggestions?

Stayed May 2015, traveled with family

Been to The Kahala Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!