As first time visitors to Hawaii, I was looking for a place that was relaxing, peaceful and a little bit special as I had heard that staying in town can be very noisy especially over the Christmas break. The Kahala is a really beautiful and peaceful resort and did not disappoint in these aspects. It has a lovely old world appeal which I really liked. Our room was beautiful and comfortable, a little worn in some areas with scuffing and wear but not too bad. The staff is fantastic and extremely helpful. Not much in the way of supplies in the room especially tea bags. I hate to sound picky but I expected these things to be in much more plentiful supply and variety for such an exclusive resort. I guess the idea is to order room service but it is nice to be able to make a cuppa in your room when you feel like it. It was lovely to wake up on Christmas morning and open our door to find a gift from the Kahala, that was a really wonderful touch! Just a couple of small things, we thought it was a bit much to have to pay for cabanas and beach chairs to use on the beach. As hotel guests, we assumed these things would have been supplied and to have to pay extra was a surprise. Our in room dining menu was missing/removed from the folder and it was difficult to convince staff that it was missing and we were not imagining it. We eventually received a photocopied version brought to our room.
Just one more thing, I realise when I booked this resort that The Kahala has captive dolphins in the lagoon. I'm not sure in this day and age if this is still appropriate, it just seems cruel. They are obviously well cared for physically but they are intelligent creatures and I wonder about their mental well being. I am no expert by any means and I know they are used also to educate visitors and are a big draw card to the resort but, I just don't know if it is right, this is just my opinion.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Kahala Hotel & Resort is Hawaii's reigning luxury resort, set on a secluded beach just ten minutes from the world class shopping and entertainment of Waikiki. This legendary hideaway resort in Honolulu's plush Kahala district is a favorite with presidents, international royalty and celebrities. From the moment you arrive, you will know that you are truly somewhere special. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Loews Hotels, LHW, Expedia, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Otel, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Kahala Hotel & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Kahala Hotel And Resort
- The Kahala Hotel Honolulu
- Kahala Resort Honolulu
- Kahala Hotel Honolulu
- Mandarin Oriental Oahu
- Kahala Hotel & Resort
- Kahala Mandarin Oriental
- The Kahala Hotel & Resort Hawaii/Honolulu