“Peaceful, old world charm.” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
$355 (USD)
Ranked #5 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Sydney, Australia
“Peaceful, old world charm.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

As first time visitors to Hawaii, I was looking for a place that was relaxing, peaceful and a little bit special as I had heard that staying in town can be very noisy especially over the Christmas break. The Kahala is a really beautiful and peaceful resort and did not disappoint in these aspects. It has a lovely old world appeal which I really liked. Our room was beautiful and comfortable, a little worn in some areas with scuffing and wear but not too bad. The staff is fantastic and extremely helpful. Not much in the way of supplies in the room especially tea bags. I hate to sound picky but I expected these things to be in much more plentiful supply and variety for such an exclusive resort. I guess the idea is to order room service but it is nice to be able to make a cuppa in your room when you feel like it. It was lovely to wake up on Christmas morning and open our door to find a gift from the Kahala, that was a really wonderful touch! Just a couple of small things, we thought it was a bit much to have to pay for cabanas and beach chairs to use on the beach. As hotel guests, we assumed these things would have been supplied and to have to pay extra was a surprise. Our in room dining menu was missing/removed from the folder and it was difficult to convince staff that it was missing and we were not imagining it. We eventually received a photocopied version brought to our room.
Just one more thing, I realise when I booked this resort that The Kahala has captive dolphins in the lagoon. I'm not sure in this day and age if this is still appropriate, it just seems cruel. They are obviously well cared for physically but they are intelligent creatures and I wonder about their mental well being. I am no expert by any means and I know they are used also to educate visitors and are a big draw card to the resort but, I just don't know if it is right, this is just my opinion.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Kahala_Hotel, Public Relations Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Aloha Amanda C~Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our setting to be beautiful and peaceful. Your suggestion for more tea in room has been brought to management's attention, we appreciate the feedback as it helps us to make your stay more enjoyable. Thank you again for your wonderful comments and we look forward to welcoming you back again! Warmest Aloha from all of us at The Kahala Hotel & Resort

1,428 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

The hotel is located in a fabulous part of Oahu with a lovely beach however the hotel I believe does not have the high service ethic it should. When we arrived, we had to wait some time to be escorted to our room. After 15 minutes I went back to reception and asked what the delay was. We were not offered water or a drink on arrival. When I asked for water I was directed to a water urn on a desk. Seriously! We were then taken to our room by the receptionist I'd complained about the wait, to find the concierge with the luggage already in the room. We stayed in an "ocean view" room which had a large view of the car park with some ocean view. When I mentioned this I was basically told "this is what you booked". Perhaps they should be a little more honest with the "view" component. The room was okay but the furniture scuffed and scratched. The bathroom was positively claustrophobic with no air circulation. The mattresses were lumpy and uneven - extremely uncomfortable. Not at all what we expected for a property with such a high reputation. The best thing about the property was its location.

Room Tip: Ensure you get an "ocean view" rather than a partial ocean view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
The_Kahala_Hotel, Public Relations Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Aloha DaphneTraveler~ Mahalo and thank you for choosing to stay with us. We are pleased to hear that you found our location to be perfect, however we are very sorry that you felt our service levels did not live up to our usual luxury standard. It is always our intention to have guest rooms ready for check in arrival during peak traveling seasons, we are very sorry that you felt your wait was unacceptable. Thank you again for expressing your concerns - we appreciate it - and we are truly sorry that you left disappointed. We so hope for the opportunity to deliver the true Kahala experience for which we are known sometime in the future. With kind regards and many thanks again, The Kahala Hotel & Resort Team.
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Where to start...everything for us was just perfect...the room was fantastic and so spacious and so very clean and comfortable..and the weather so hot every day....just wish we could have stayed for another few weeks....

Room Tip: we had a room on the 10th floor overlooking the beach and had sun on our balcony all day...fantastic...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Aloha JulieH21~Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are so happy to hear that we were able to deliver the best holiday ever for you. It is fabulous to hear that everything was just perfect. We can't wait to welcome you back again! Warmest Aloha from all of us at The Kahala Hotel & Resort.
Shanghai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

My beautiful wife and I had the most amazing wedding and reception at Kahala and are now celebrating our two year anniversary. Since then our guests continuously comment on how perfect everything was, from the rainbows before our ceremony and the beautiful setting to the incredible food and great band for a drink upstairs afterwards. If you don't just want a good wedding, but an amazing wedding I thoroughly recommend Kahala. Everything will be seamless from the moment you make contact until you leave (not that you will want to). The only challenge we had was that the resorts on our honeymoon didn't compare, so you may wish to stay on at Kahala for your honeymoon afterwards. I also recommend a live band during your reception

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha Martyn H~Congratulations on your second anniversary! We greatly appreciate you sharing your experience with us and most importantly we are so pleased that you had such an enjoyable stay. We wish you many more wonderful years of marriage and look forward to welcoming you back again. Warmest Aloha from all of us at The Kahala Hotel & Resort.
san dieg0
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

What's not to absolutely love about the Kahala? Nothing whatsoever.

I've been going to the Kahala for over 30 years. I fell in love with the place when I was a student at the University of Hawaii studying Travel Industry Management. Even then, the Kahala set the standard for luxury, grace, service, and setting. It was aspirational to us starving college students as a place that someday we'd either have the chance to work at or stay in. I went as often as I could to enjoy the setting, the architecture, and the service. Sometimes I could only afford ice tea but every staff member made me feel that I was as just as important as one of the many heads of state or Hollywood elite that were frequent guests there. When my parents visited Oahu or when my aunt sent me birthday money we went to the Kahala to dine in the Maile room or have drinks on the beach.

Fast forward through the years.

In my many subsequent visits to Hawaii, and there have been hundreds, the Kahala was always in my itinerary. And it never disappointed. The same grace, beauty, and excellence in service.

Just a few weeks ago I made a short two night visit to Oahu and checked in to an ocean front room. I'd forgotten how large they are, how well appointed, how quiet. The carpet seemed 10 inches thicker than before. The lobby was spectacular, decked out for the Christmas holidays. The classic lines of the property's architecture are even more stunning today. The guest mix was what you'd expect. Well heeled, sophisticated, international, but nice. No pretentiousness.

The staff anticipated and accommodated every request. Quickly, thoughtfully, gracefully. Smiles everywhere.

If there is heaven on earth, I'm sure the Kahala is part of it.

Room Tip: Some of the ocean front rooms overlook the entrance to the hotel and it's driveways. Can we mor...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Aloha jal52sandiego~ Thank you so much for your very kind compliments. We are so grateful for your loyalty and appreciation of our resort. It makes us so happy to hear that we have exceeded your expectations and find everything from the beautiful architecture to guest rooms and service to be perfect. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience with us! We look forward to welcoming you back again! Warmest aloha from all of us at The Kahala Hotel & Resort.
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Everything about the visit was quite perfect. The room was lovely as were the amenities in the room. The restaurants on site had excellent food and the range of choices (Italian, Seafood, beach restaurant, beach bar) served our needs well. The dolphin lagoon was the highlight -- we spent a few hours each day just watching and photographing the dolphin training and special activities with guests. It was fascinating.
The beach was lovely -- wide sandy area, plenty of spots to relax. The pool was closed one of the days of our visit, but it was not clear why. I didn't play the golf course, but our room overlooked one of the holes as well as the ocean. It looked like a great course.
Definitely an upscale place but with a very low-key atmosphere.

Room Tip: We chose a 'partial ocean view' with balcony for the majority of our stay (we are retuning f...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Kahala_Hotel, Public Relations Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Aloha ChicagoTER~ Thank you for sharing your experience with us and for sharing such kind words! We are so happy that you found everything from our rooms and amenities to be lovely. The dolphins truly are captivating and we are glad you enjoyed watching them. We look forward to welcoming you back again. With many thanks and aloha from all of us at The Kahala Hotel & Resort.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

This was our second trip staying at this lovely hotel. The lobby, rooms, and grounds are wonderful. The dolphins entertained us for hours. The breakfast was great on the patio. The staff was friendly and efficient. But! The bed still soft and in need of replacing. A shame that the bed was the only downside to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Aloha Hlondon99~Mahalo for sharing your experience with us. It makes us extremely happy and we greatly appreciate your kind compliments and your loyalty. Thank you for sharing your appreciation of our hotel. We sincerely apologize that you felt your bed was too soft, we always aim to please our guest's requests and this has been brought to the attention of our management.
Mahalo again for your excellent feedback and very kind words. Until next time, aloha and thank you from all of us at The Kahala Hotel & Resort.

Been to The Kahala Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!