“Away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Chelmsford, Essex
“Away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

For the second part of our tour we picked The Kahala to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary after enjoying the delights of San Francisco. The hotel is lovely, beautiful beach, not very crowded and always helpful staff to find you sun beds and towels. The staff are a real credit to this hotel, always happy, they made our holiday. Would especially like to thank the lady on the reception desk who helped get us a taxi and contact the tour we were mis-sold by our holiday company (they didn't realise tour didn't pick up from our hotel - doh!). Restaurants are brilliant, lovely food, I recommend Hoku, lovely meal, they even bought us a dessert with Happy Anniversary on it, lovely touch. Yes, the hotel pool is not very big and was popular with families but this did not stop our enjoyment. I always prefer the beach anyway. Much of the grounds are given over to the dolphin lagoon, we did not swim with them but saw that this was popular. After visiting Waikiki and looking at the hotels we were going to choose I think we made the right decision. Thank you Kahala, lots of happy memories!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Kahala_Hotel, Public Relations Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Aloha global-ant~ Mahalo for your very kind compliments and for taking the time to share your experience with us. Thank you for choosing to stay with us for such an important milestone! We hope you both have many more happy years of marriage. We are so happy to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations and I have shared with our teams of what a good job they have done. Until we meet again and many mahalo! The Kahala Hotel & Resort Team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Rolling Prairie, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

My husband Bill and I spent 8 beautiful days at the Kahala to celebrate my 60th birthday and my 1st trip to Hawaii. I can not even begin to describe how beautiful the hotel was. I am a Virgo and a "clean freak" and I walked the halls and even my room in my bare feet. The room over looked the mountain and to the right was the ocean and below us was the Dolphin Quest lagoon. Every night we had turn down service with fresh towels and bottled water and our robes and slippers laid out for us. The CD played romantic and relaxing Hawaiian music upon our return to the room. We loved having breakfast overlooking the ocean and sitting outside under the Plumeria trees. We had dinner at the Veranda several times and the service was outstanding. Had lunch and drinks at the Seaside Grill and as with all the restaurants the food and service was exemplary! Have seen several reviews that some of the food items were pricey One word HAWAII. How can you put a price on the ambiance of the sun and the ocean and all that is Hawaii. A very special Thank You goes to Cameron Frithsen who planned all our activities from my "bucket list" and was instrumental in making this the best birthday vacation ever. Linda at the front desk for our pain free check in and use of the visitors suite on our last day there. Michael and her trainee ( sorry can't remember her name) who truly went all out to make my birthday special all the way down to a candle and happy birthday written on my dessert. And last but not least our house keepers and turn down service who were friendly, efficient and went above our expectations.

Room Tip: Rooms on the mountain side with a balcony and view of the sun rising over Koko and the ocean are ama...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha PAContessa~ Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful birthday experience. We are so pleased to hear that you had an incredible 60th birthday, but most importantly that you found our resort immaculate enough to walk around barefoot. Again we greatly appreciate all your wonderful and kind compliments. We look forward to welcoming you back again! Warmest Aloha and many thanks from The Kahala Hotel & Resort Team.
Deer Park, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I have always, always loved the Kahala and followed it through its changes, name changes, and everything else. I have stayed here now twice in the same month and, quite frankly, if it was not for the people, I think I may have to change my allegiance. Instead of rewarding frequent stays, they tend to do just the opposite. This time, for the first time in 40 years, I got a room without a lanai (usually get that as a complimentary upgrade) and the package I usually get which included breakfast for 2 (still a great deal for 2), was not an option for me at this time. I felt that they have finally gotten to a point in its wonderful history, that they have turned into just another expensive hotel except that the location remains excellent. I think they forgot who the customer is and this is coming from a long time guest of the Kahala. I will say that in all of my visits this is the first time I have ever given an "average" rating. I don't know what happened but it has changed.
They will probably hate me for this review but I'm stating facts. I'm kind of disappointed and this is after talking with the latest general manager. You would think???

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
The_Kahala_Hotel, Public Relations Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Aloha ASM129~ First I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It is so disheartening to hear that your stay was such a disappointment. It is our intent that our guests receive the best service and leave feeling that way. We are very sorry that we were unable to upgrade at time of check in. We try our best to accommodate our repeat guests like yourself, with complimentary upgrades, however there are times when we are unable to offer them. In regards to your breakfast, breakfast buffet is always available as an option if you wish to include with your room rate. Again we truly apologize and we hope to welcome you back again. Warmest regards The Kahala Hotel & Resort Team.
Fort Myers, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

My wife and I have stayed here twice and if you are going to Honolulu, THIS is the hotel to stay at. Very well kept and just a great property. We LOVED having breakfast out by the water and watching the sunrise come over the mountains. I actually surprised my wife there as that is where we got engaged! If you go there make sure you get the Acai bowl as it's probably the best Acai dish we have ever had. The dolphins in the back were a nice touch and their chocolate covered macadmias in our room were way too good. Highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the mountains, it was small but nice
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Aloha Ray H~Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. We love to hear guest stories like yours, it is truly warming to hear that you proposed to your wife at The Kahala. I'm so glad that your enjoyed everything from our Acai Bowls to our dolphins and mac nuts! We hope to welcome you back again! Warmest Regards from all of us at The Kahala Hotel & Resort.
Ocean, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My husband and I spent 3 nights here and wished that we had booked a longer stay. The experience from the greeting by the valet, the check in to the check out was superb. So many of the staff have been there for years (one I met over 40 years) I believe this is telling of how wonderful it is. A real test of staff to me is if you report something that you think is a problem and they take care of it right then and there and don't suggest that you speak to someone else or say they will report it, I had this happen twice here, I was impressed. The rooms are nicely decorated and comfortable (though I must say the mattresses in room 927 could use a flip!), the amenities are nice, the lighting and television well thought out.
The best part of the hotel is it is away from Waikiki. You have to see it to understand.
The breakfast buffet is great, and FYI if you want eggs other than an omelet, ask. We ate in Hoku's twice. The first night we had their 50th Anniversary dinner with a wine pairing. It was well presented and tasty. The wine pairing is a bargain. The second night we had a sushi/sashimi appetizer, I am wishing for that right now! We shared the lamb chop dinner, the lamb is encrusted in salt and roasted, they break it out of the salt shell at the table for you. We also had a tempura appetizer that I could have done without.
My one comment is that the pool is small and there were a lot of children running around. It would be much nicer if there were two pools. There is a baby pool but the babies/children all seemed to be either in the big pool or the Jacuzzi. Otherwise, the pool is nice, chairs seemed to be plentiful and there is good service. You can have lunch at the Grill (needs a more diverse menu) the Chinese Chicken Salad was very good. The dolphins are right next to the pool area and are a good source of amusement to visit throughout the day.
Cannot wait to visit again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Kahala_Hotel, Public Relations Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Aloha dtf505~ Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are so happy to hear that you love our resort so much. It is so good to hear that you were impressed with the promptness of our staff, I will definitely share your compliments and thoughts with our management teams. We do look forward to welcoming you back again! With Kindest Regards and many thanks The Kahala Hotel & Resort Team.
Gainesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

This may have been the best hotel or resort experience that we have ever enjoyed. The facility was simply beautiful and elegant. The rooms are exceptionally clean and well appointed. The view from our balcony was truly eye-popping. The service was outstanding - with the staff trying to not just meet but exceed your expectations at every turn. We ended up ordering room service several times because we couldn't beat the view from our balcony. The Dolphin Quest adventure was beyond words and we spent hours watching the dolphins and trainers from our balcony during our visit. First class - all the way and a fabulous vacation experience.

Room Tip: Get a room with an ocean view - you can't miss!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha Bill S~Thank you so much for your very kind compliments and for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are more than pleased that you had such an enjoyable time. It is so nice to hear that you found our dolphins so entertaining. They really are fascinating to watch. We can't wait till your next visit! Warmest Aloha and many thanks from all of us at The Kahala Hotel & Resort.
Folly Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My family had a great time! We loved the quiet location and friendly attentive staff , Great food . Spacious updated room. Lovely grounds. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet overlooking the ocean in the morning which was in our package.. My grandson had a great time at the pool.
He also swam with the dolphins at Dolpin Quest which is on location.
They have a great staff educating the public about marine life.
Great calm beach to swim on and only a short drive to Wakiki!
Thanks! See you next year. Mahalo

Room Tip: Would ask for a Lanai and either DOlphin, beach or Diamond head view, Golf course was nice too
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
The_Kahala_Hotel, Public Relations Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Aloha MAFollyBeach~ Aloha and thank you for choosing to stay with us. We are so pleased to hear that you found our guest rooms spacious and our staff attentive and friendly. And most of all we are so happy to hear that your grandson had a wonderful time with his dolphin encounter. We look forward to welcoming you back again! Until we meet again The Kahala Hotel & Resort Team.

Been to The Kahala Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!