I wish I had good things to say about our stay at the Kahala. This was a big disappointment and by far the biggest waste of money. I've put my point form review below.
- First impression was one of bad service. Not greeted very well as our car, then rushed through the check-in process. Literally rushed, and told they were busy.
- The room was adequate, the view over the parking lot did distract from the sea. I would hesitate to call is an ocean view room. The washroom amenities were definitely not 5 star, more a 3 - 3.5 star if I'm generous.
- The cleaning staff did not speak english (those we dealt with) and was very difficult to communicate our needs.
- the concierge was ok, although woefully out of date on restaurant changes.
- the staff at breakfast were excellent and very well trained, the view was also spectacular, although every morning at that same time there were workmen grinding the tree branches that they had previously cut down. This happened every day.
- They were terribly stingy with their water, they only gave us 2 bottles at turndown and wanted to sell us more at an exorbitant price. That left us with no choice but to go off site and buy our own water. I had not seen this at any 5 star hotel in the past
- The staff at the pool was non-existent. There were staff there, but they didn't acknowledge us or help us in any way. All of the chairs were stacked up and not available to use and the pool was uncleaned, with debris floating in it. There was also no shade available. Needless to say this was not an inviting environment.
- Since we couldn't be by the pool we went back to our room. But there were people smoking on the balcony beneath us and we could not sit outside. This is a non-smoking hotel. I think what amazed me the most was that the valet could clearly see what was going on and did noting. We did call and they came but am not sure what the resulting action was.
- during our last 2 days there was construction taking place and shook our entire room so we couldn't even be inside, we decided to leave the hotel as that was our only option. I told the front desk about the problem and they said upon our return they would have a solution. When we arrived back, they said we could have a choice of some different rooms that were better than ours. That was untrue as they were the exact same, only offering a reprieve from the noise. However, the rooms they were recommending were in the same area just a little higher and still had the sound of the construction. I was paying full price for absolutely horrible service and a horrible environment.
- the equipment in the gym was old with only 2 of the 5 treadmills functioning properly. You could see that the other equipment was not properly functioning either.
- this hotel has a lot of hype that is not at all true
- Unfortunately I can't recommend this hotel to others, as it was by far and away our worst overall hotel experience on the islands and even compared to other trips we have done. I only hope they make some changes to improve the customer experience.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are always listening and are so sorry to hear that you felt your stay was a disappointment. Most disheartening is hearing that you were left with the impression that our staff don't care – It is not up to our Kahala standards and we are so sorry for these incidents but thank you for bringing them to our attention so that we may address this with management and ensure such atypical issues do not occur again in the future. The Kahala has a reputation for a caring staff and genuine service; and we are glad that you did receive that from our wonderful Plumeria Beach House staff. We so hope for the opportunity to deliver the true Kahala experience for which we are known sometime in the future.
Report response as inappropriate
Should you wish to discuss your stay further, please contact our Director of Guest Services, Flora LaMontagne, 808.739.8888, she would be grateful to chat with you in detail. Thank you again for your feedback; we look forward to turning your experience around.
Aloha and best wishes
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.