“Out of this world” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Penistone, United Kingdom
“Out of this world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed here for 10 nights as part of our honeymoon, it was amazing. Loved every minute of our time here- staff attentive, food gorgeous, room lovely and the grounds were great. The staff couldn't do enough to please you. Would love to go back. Would definitely recommend swimming with the dolphins.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
KahalaResort, General Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for staying at our resort as part of your honeymoon celebration. It was a pleasure having you with us, and I was happy to see how much you enjoyed the services we provided, your guest room, and dining in our restaurants. I am also pleased that you were able to participate in a dolphin encounter in our private lagoon, which is such a popular guest activity. Congratulations again, and we look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon. Aloha and best wishes.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

This hotel is definitely expensive, but the food is great, amazing location with free shuttle to/from the malls, beautiful views of the beach and pool, excellent pool attendants, services is great, pool bar food is excellent. My only compliant is that it is pricey, but you pay for what you get. I loved getting on the shuttle and going to the malls. The beach is also near by. My husband and I enjoyed our trip very much. We swam with the dolphins (a must) and took a boat to swim with sharks. If you can afford it, do it!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
KahalaResort, General Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for staying at our resort during your recent trip to Honolulu. It was a pleasure having you with us, and I was glad to see that you had a good time and enjoyed our services and facilities. The dolphin encounters are so popular with our guests, and I am delighted that you had that memorable experience. Thank you very much for sending your feedback. It will be a pleasure to welcome you back on many future occasions. Aloha and best regards.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I am still dreaming about The Kahala Hotel 3 years later. It was the most amazing hotel I have ever been to, and it certainly lived up to our expectations. We loved that it is away from the hustle and bustle of Honolulu, and that they had a small bus that left on a schedule to and from the main parts of town. The pool and ocean view are charming and intimate, the lighted pathways with torches were beautiful, the dolphins were a highlight for our 11 year old who took a class with them. The breakfasts were amazing...especially the maple butter pancakes!!! Someone is still dreaming about them. The hotel staff were very helpful for booking day trips and any information. The only thing that I would suggest changing is the double rooms have 2 queen beds instead of 2 double beds for families. But, it wasn't a big deal. We loved a side trip whale watching that we took and you must go to the Polynesian Cultural Centre it is so nice for families and adults...it's like a mini Epcot Centre without the rides!! Enjoy your Hawaiian Adventure!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
It was great to read your positive feedback, and I am delighted that you are still dreaming about our resort since your stay many months ago. I was also pleased to see that your son thoroughly enjoyed his encounter with our resident dolphins. Also, you definitely made good choices for sightseeing and popular tourist attractions during your stay. My staff and I look forward to being of service to you again the next time you plan a trip to our beautiful island. Aloha and best wishes.
los angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

it is like paradise. everything that you could ask for from a hawaiian vacation is available at the kahala. the spa is spectacular, the rooms are all roomy and lovely, the food is great, and the people are wonderful. it's a 2013 version of visiting old hawaii. i can't think of another place - outside of maybe mauna kea beach hotel - that has the same feeling. the beach is quiet and never over crowded. you can swim, snorkel, kayak, paddle board, and just relax. if you're interested in world class cuisine you can go to hoku's at the hotel or go 15 minutes to waikiki - visit the action there - and quickly get back to the glorious kahala. i can't recommend it enough.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
KahalaResort, General Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for staying at our resort during your recent trip to Honolulu. I was delighted to read your wonderful, positive comments about our location, guest services, resort facilites, and the food in our restaurants. It will be a great pleasure to have you and your family with us again on your next trip to our beautiful island. Thank you for sharing your experience. Aloha and best wishes.
Conway, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Well established and the gold standard for all other Oahu resorts. Granted, there are newer, flashier hotels but what this place excels in is good, old fashioned service. We stayed in March, 2013 for a week and experienced only positives, from the front desk staff, bell men, pool attendants, housekeeping, serving staff and business office. All swent the extra mile. Kudos to a great bunch of people.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
KahalaResort, General Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
I was delighted to read your positive feedback following your recent stay at our resort. Thank you for reconfirming to me that the services provided by our employees continue to meet or exceed the expectations of our valued guests. It will be a pleasure to be of service to you again on your next trip to our beautiful island. Aloha and best wishes.
West Hollywood, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I just got back from staying at The Kahala Hotel for five nights. The experience from this trip is incredible! They are extremely nice there. Everything I wanted was easy to get. The beach was right outside my sliding glass door of my room. Every night there was something going on. One night, I watched a fireworks show that was on the beach in front of my room. I loved it! The Kahala Hotel is one of my favorite hotels in the world. I'll go back. I love this hotel!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Kahala for a week in late February (my husband, young son, and myself), and truly appreciated the commitment to excellent customer service while there. The outstanding focus on service is evident from the moment you arrive at Kahala with with valet parking staff. This group of individuals perfectly balanced friendly service, professionalism and enthusiasm. They were always willing to provide directions, give recommendations and typically would address us by name.

Upon checking in, we were pleased to learn that we had been upgraded to a partial ocean view room. While it overlooked the front entrance of the hotel, it was a nice treat to see the ocean from our room. We sacrificed having two beds (our son slept on the small sofa at the foot of the bed) to have breakfast included with our room rate. This was a well made decision. Breakfast at the Plumeria Beach House is excellent with a wide range of choices, more than enough to suit every palate. That said, if it hadn't been included with our stay, I doubt we would have eaten there as our daily bill for breakfast was over $80 and that seems exceptionally steep (considering how much we actually eat). If you do plan on eating there, I strongly recommend arriving close to opening at 0630hrs as it gets very crowded and busy as the morning progresses. We went around 0800hrs on our last day and it was too busy to enjoy.

The location of Kahala is excellent for those looking to be away from the business of Waikiki. It is an easy drive into town and is close to both Hanoma Bay and Koko Head Crater. I agree with other reviewers that the pool is small for the size of the resort. It was very windy during our stay so we did not spend much time on the beach. The pool was full of families playing (worked well for us having a child but I can see how adults looking to relax might find it a bit annoying). Those we spoke to who did the dolphin experience said the enjoyed it greatly but it seemed a bit cost-prohibitive for a short period of time with the dolphins.

As other reviewers have mentioned, Kahala seems to cater to the wedding (on the beach) crowd. During our stay, there was at least one wedding daily, sometimes two. It is a beautiful location although it felt a bit strange to be returning to our room following a dip in the pool or ocean as a bridal party was preparing in the lounge near the elevators.

I believe having a rental car is a must when staying here though as the shuttle service fills up quickly and you must book your return time in advance (we tried to change our return without success so found ourselves killing an extra couple of hours Waikiki while waiting to return to the resort).

Overall, our experience at Kahala was positive and I would recommend it to anyone who was looking for a relaxing holiday away from Waikiki but who was keen to leave the resort for meals and activities.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
KahalaResort, General Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
I was delighted to read your wonderful comments following your stay at our resort. It is always so reassuring to see that our services and guest facilities met or exceeded guests' expectations. I agree that you made a good decision to include daily buffet breakfast for two with your room rate as it is a great value. We always try to provide a comfortable and memorable resort experience for our guests, and thank you for taking the time to send your positive feedback. It will be a pleasure to be of service to you and your family again the next time you visit our beautiful island. Aloha and best wishes.

Been to The Kahala Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!