“Fabulous stay at the Kahala” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
$335 (USD)
Ranked #4 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Sausalito
“Fabulous stay at the Kahala”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was our first time staying at the Kahala and we were blown away by the excellent service, fabulous dining options, beautiful and extremely comfortable guest rooms. Loved the serene location, but also loved the fact that the Kahala offered hourly shuttles to and from Waikiki.

Cant wait to go back next year!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the Ocean Front rooms overlooking the lagoon with the dolphins and out to the beach.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
KahalaResort, General Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to Honolulu. I was delighted to see that you had a good time and enjoyed our dining options along with our guest services and rooms and were able to take advantage of our shopping shuttle. I appreciate receiving your comments, and it will be a pleasure to welcome you back to our resort on many future occasions. Aloha and best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We've stayed at The Kahala Hotel & Resort three times so far and will continue to go back anytime we're in the Honolulu area. From the beautiful location, beautiful and clean rooms, private beach, to the very friendly and helpful staff, you won't find a better or more peaceful place to stay. My kids also prefer staying at The Kahala vs. staying in busy Waikiki. The dolphins are an extra plus and I highly recommend going for a swim with them. Truly a great experience!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
It was a pleasure having you with us again, and thank you so much for sending your positive feedback. I was very glad to see that our secluded location and beach along with our guest rooms and friendly staff continue to meet your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to our resort sometime soon. Aloha and best wishes.
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Wow is all I can say. I thought of writing this review when I returned home, but I just could not wait. I have been traveling for many years and would say that I am a bit finicky, but I was absolutely blown away at the service they provided us and the hospitality received. My positive experience began weeks before I even arrived. I had some issues with my booking and management was able to take care of any concerns I had even before I arrived. The management is superb and you can tell the staff has been managed well. From the minute you arrived, the warm and sincere welcome you receive is just unbelievable. i honestly felt like royalty. My bell hop Trevor was so enthusiastic. He showed me the amenities and facilities including my room as if he had built the resort. The rooms are beautiful and so spacious and amazingly clean. The beds was like sleeping on clouds and I felt like I was sleeping in my own bed. The turn down service was awesome, coming home each night to hawaiian music playing in your room and bottles of water by your bedside. The waiters at the restaurant again wonderful. When my daughter was upset returning from the buffet claiming they were out of their famous sticky buns, "must try", Eric our waiter who was cleaning the next table and overheard, went and brought my daughter some. i was so shocked at how attentive the staff was. The beachside attendants set up the loungers for you even laying out your beach towels. The front desk who when you ask for wake up call, asks if you require a reminder call in ten minutes or if you want to know the full weather for the day. The room service who not just delivers the food on a tray like most resorts, but wheels in a table with places settings even if you just ordered a simple burger. The list goes on. They truly go above and beyond the industry norm for service.mHonestly, I have never experienced such hospitality and service anywhere. There may have been newer resorts, but the service here is so genuine and sincere. The staff are really happy and as a result you see that everywhere you go at the resort. I did not once run into any staff member who did not greet me or have a smile all week. Truly amazing resort and this is the one and only resort that I will come back without a doubt!!! Private beach, dolphin lagoon with sea turtles right at the resort, wonderful restaurants with excellent food, free shuttles, valet service. This resort has everything you want for a perfect vacation. This was the best decision for my family to stay away from the tourist Waikiki area where everyone normally stays and truly experience Hawaii and the Hawaiian hospitality. Thank you Rosann, Yoshimi, Kathy, Trevor, Eric and all the wonderful staff at Kahala!!! Mahalo.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
I was delighted to read your comments following your recent stay with us, and thank you for sharing your experience at our resort. Nothing makes me and my staff happier than to learn that we have left our guests wanting more of our magical brand of aloha. It is great to know that you had a wonderful time and enjoyed our guest facilities and the exceptional services provided by our employees. It will be a great pleasure for us to be of service to you and your family again the next time you plan to visit our beautiful island. Thank you so much for taking the time to write. Aloha and best wishes.
Brookline, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This was second visit to Honolulu, first time visit to the Kahala. Came for a conference and originally was going to stay in Waikiki but a lot of the hotels were booked out. This place was amazing. The service is top notch, people were all very friendly, and the location is a bit secluded off the hustle and bustle of Waikiki. Restaurants were all terrific although felt a little bossed around in the lounge with some overbearing suggestions from the wait staff leading to ordering plates I didn't really enjoy. The beach is pretty swim friendly with quiet waves. Decor was great, clean and tasteful although I also overhead they are planning to do some renovations and replace carpets soon. Overall, felt very pampered and didn't want to leave. Would consider coming back to Oahu just to come back to this hotel.

Room Tip: The ocean view was terrific.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
KahalaResort, General Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
I was delighted to read your feedback following your recent stay at our resort. It was good to see that you enjoyed our location and guest services. However, it was surprising to read about one of the waitstaff in the lounge, and rest assured this was shared with our Director of Food & Beverage for his information and appropriate follow up. Thank you for sending your positive feedback and sharing your concerns. We look forward to being of service to you again on your next trip to Honolulu. Aloha and best wishes.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Kahala Resort March 1 - 7, 2013 it was truly wonderful and AMAZING! The staff was just awesome! We felt very welcomed from the time we enter the resort until the very last hour of us leaving. The staff was so kind and always greeted us with a smile and Olaha! :-) The resort was simply just gorgeous! The food was delicious! The beach OMG.... breath taking views. We met some great people that was visiting and staff. Hello Rita! Hello Delva! I wish I could remember everyone names. Oh and the bartenders....We are going to disco next time! LOL! Also would like to thank the Chef for making the awesome eggs (scrambled/mushrooms/spinach). :-) We truly enjoyed ourselves and recommend the Kahala Resort for a great place to stay. Michael and Latonya Johnson

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Honolulu and for taking the time to share your experience. I was delighted to see that you had a good time and our guest services, food, and secluded beach surpassed your expectations. Also, it was kind of you to highlight our chef and other employees who provided exceptional service. My staff and I look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit our beautiful island. Aloha and best regards.
Penn Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We were at the Kahal for five days for daughter's wedding. Excellent ambience, superb staff that all called us by name, and a bautiful location on the ocean. Don't miss a swim with the dolphins. Food as very good and an extra restaurant is about to open. Very nicely appointed rooms, wonderful pool area, and kudos on the wedding arrangements. Expensive but well worth it!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the golf course have a partial ocean view and a beautiful mountain panorama. Stay...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
KahalaResort, General Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
It was thoughtful of you to take the time to share your recent experience at our resort during your daughter's wedding and celebration. Your wonderful comments were music to my ears, and it was a pleasure having you with us. I was delighted to see that our private location and special ambience along with exceptional service, guest rooms, and food all met and exceeded your expectations. My staff and I will be happy to be of service to you again on a future occasion. Aloha and best wishes.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Overview - Pros: great location, good service overall, excellent spa services; Cons: so-so value

My GF and I recently stayed at the Kahala for 4 nights. After reading the reviews on Tripadvisor, we had high expectations given the amount we were spending. While we were very happy with the location (what a beautiful and calming neighborhood), overall we felt that the Kahala was not such a good value when compared to its peer hotels (Four Seasons Manele Bay comes to mind), and that in particular there were service gaps that one should not be experiencing when spending many hundreds of dollars per day.

Before I cover the service gaps, I do want to thank the front desk manager (Tobias) for patiently listening to our feedback and for immediately acting on it by delivering some goodies to our room and comping a small portion of our bill. Tobias is an excellent listener and someone who the Kahala should be very proud to have as an employee.

Also, while we had massages scheduled during our stay, there was construction noise next to the spa, so the spa staff kindly offered to do in-room treatments at no additional cost, which was very considerate. The massage therapists were excellent and provided some of the best massages we're ever had!

Our complimentary room upgrade (courtesy of my AMEX Platinum card) was honored at check-in, and our subsequent request for a partial ocean view room upgrade was honored at a nominal fee (nice gesture), as well as the complimentary breakfast and $100 spa credit.

The breakfast buffet was excellent, and many items were labelled "GF" (gluten free), which we really appreciated. Service at breakfast was quite good most of the time.

The grounds are immaculate and quite beautiful, security is ever-present but low-key, and the dolphins are amazing to watch.

Finally, we had an early flight our last day, so the front desk kindly suggested that we order breakfast via room service and provided us with an ample credit to cover most of the expense.

The service gaps included: nothing in the room to celebrate our anniversary despite being asked (when I reconfirmed our reservation the day before we arrived) by one of the MODs whether we were celebrating a special occasion (what we felt was the biggest fail); no call-back from Housekeeping after we reported a missing shirt from the room we moved from; slow service one day at breakfast; Housekeeping not cleaning a dust-laden fan before installing it in our room; a malfunctioning phone which was not fixed during our 4 night stay (the button for the car valet stopped working 2 days into our stay and Housekeeping did not follow up). While these are not major fails, for the amount we were spending, we kept asking ourselves "would this be happening at the Four Seasons Manele Bay"?

Also, the "partial ocean" rooms actually face inland and have but a sliver of an ocean view so if you want a true ocean view, be prepared to pay a pretty penny for it.

We would definitely consider returning to the Kahala if the service levels are raised to meet/exceed those of the Four Seasons to provide better value.

Room Tip: 1. If you book on the AMEX travel site with your AMEX Platinum card, you'll get a free room upgr...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
KahalaResort, General Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for taking time to share your recent experience at our resort. I was pleased to see that overall you enjoyed your stay including our secluded location, excellent spa services, and numerous breakfast items on our buffet, including many gluten-free. However, it was concerning to read the details of inexcusable service lapses, and I must apologize for the poor performance by some of our staff members who failed to meet our usual high service standards. Rest assured that your feedback has been shared with the appropriate managers for their information and follow up, and I am sincerely sorry that you were disappointed in any way during your stay. I would be happy to speak with you if you wish to discuss more details, and please feel free to contact me directly at 808 739-8888. Thank you again for sending your comments and sharing your concerns. Aloha and best regards.

Been to The Kahala Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!