“Guests An Inconvence At Kahala Hotel and Resort” 2 of 5 stars

Special Rate
$355 (USD)
Ranked #6 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Sydney
“Guests An Inconvence At Kahala Hotel and Resort”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I note there have been plenty of positive reviews of the Kahala Hotel and Resort. I would like to offer a different perspective.

First thing to consider is that this is a very expensive property. Rooms cost more than $750 a night in peak season, breakfast not included.

Second is that demand is so strong for Hawaiian hotels - 2012 will an all-time record year for visitations - that the hotels in Waikiki/Honoloulu don't have to try for business, it just walks through the door.

The knock-on effect is that some staff, especially at the Kahala's front desk, are good at saying "Aloha" and "Mahalo" but out of their depth when there's a genuine issue.

I would argue that they are blind to the basic needs and expectations of customers, such as that you'll get the room you have paid for.

In our case that was a garden view room with two double beds.

Check-in was from 3pm but our family of four - including two teenagers - was not given a room key until 40 minutes later.

No staff member approached us during this time to offer hospitality of any kind - drinks, snacks whatever. In Asia, at this kind of rate, we would have been fawned over.

Anyway, I got the key and checked out the room which had a double king bed and nothing else in it.

In other words it was not the room we had booked.

I returned to the front desk and dealt with another receptionist, told her brusquely we had the wrong room, please fix it.

She is a little taken aback and informs me that there is no guarantee at the Kahala you will get the room you have booked.

She says it's not a firm booking we have made but a "request" for two double beds in the same room.

I check the fine print and she is right. Two double beds is classified as a "service request".

There is no guarantee we will get what we paid $2,290.64 over three nights for.

We made the booking and paid 75% in August, the balance in October.

No-one from the property has contacted during this time to advise that the room we had booked, requested or whatever would not be available.

So, our expectation was that it would be.

Anyway, I get angry, we've been waiting forever, paid $750 a night for truly awful service, drop the f-bomb as in just "f_______ fix it" and walk away.

We wait another 20 or 30 minutes, again no one offers any kind of hospitality, until my wife approaches the front desk and told "great news, we have a room for you".

I take a look and there are two large single beds, a chaise lounge and a rollaway bed to accommodate our family.

Again, not what we had asked for - or so we thought. At least give us another rollaway bed and get rid of the chaise, which had no bedding.

We are later informed that we have in fact been given two double beds. Huh? They look so small. We measure and find they are 1.4m wide, big enough for a couple of honeymooning midgets but not much else.

I've just checked with Wikipedia and the official US double bed measurement is 1.9m - 500mm larger than what the Kahala is calling a double bed.

But I digress. We are still upset at the lack of hospitality we have received and ask for breakfast to be included and instead get into an argument with the receptionist who does nothing at all to defuse the situation. Instead, she further inflames matters by blaming us.

At no stage over the preceding 90 minutes has any staff acknowledged that a series of errors from the hotel has brought us to this point.

We have been offered zero hospitality. Somehow they think it is all our fault.

The customer service director is brought in one assumes to calm matters. Instead she adds fuel to the fire. Another staff member joins in and adds another voice to the argument, the hotel's voice of course.

By now the volume is up. Loud but not shouting. Again, I repeat, no effort has been made to defuse the situation.

In fact, the customer service director says something like "ok that's it, I am calling security" with the implied threat we are getting kicked out of the hotel.

For what? Sticking up for ourselves? Raising our voices in an argument that is 90% down to the Kahala not fulfilling its obligations - not one of them - as an elite hotel charging $750 a night.

Who knows. The fact is that Honolulu./Waikiki is totally told out. It is two days before New Year's Eve and there is literally nowhere for us to go. Somehow we get the keys back, go to the room and try to calm down.

My wife, who worked as a flight attendant at Qantas for 14 years, is incredibly upset. The staff have been doing nothing but sticking up for themselves and their mistakes, then call security to sort it out.

It's bizarre.

I later speak with the front desk manager who was aware of the fracas at the time it was happening but did nothing to intervene. I ask him why did this occur and he once again offers the hotel's perspective, which is essentially that nothing is guaranteed.

He does not acknowledge the lack of hospitality we received while waiting for the room ("we only say check-in is after 3pm, not at 3pm"), and also attempts to justify offering us a king room with a single bed for four people, the basic error that led to everything else.

I ask him to make my wife happy. He sends up a bottle of domestic sparkling wine and a note that offers no apology just the message: "We hope you are feeling better".

He offers also breakfast as token but, not as it turns out, for all of us. Just two people from our family of four get breakfast on the house, everyone else must pay.

As for the hotel and infrastructure, it's quite nice but nothing special.

Great location, small pool, crowded, decent beach. Guests - lot of Japanese and a mix of other nationalities.

Breakfast buffet is average, the food at Plumeria good, as is the wine list.

For these reasons I will give the property two stars. If this was only on service, the Kahala would get nothing.

In summary, front desk staff are poorly trained and have no idea of genuine hospitality or how to deal with a guest with a justifiable complaint.

A bit of customer service 101 would have nipped this whole thing in the bud.

Of course, that did not happen.

In fact it was the customer service director who called security rather than making her guests feel special.

It's so ridiculous, you just have to laugh.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
The_Kahala_Hotel, General Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns regarding your recent stay at The Kahala Hotel & Resort. We do appreciate your feedback and we are deeply sorry that your experience with us was less than perfect.

I understand that our Front Office Team did extend a complimentary buffet breakfast for all in your party (they were adjusted off in the final statement folio upon checkout.) as our way of making amends. We regret that we could not provide you with the bedding type confirmed and despite how it may seem, our Front Desk team did try their best to accommodate but was not able to.

I sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to regain your confidence in The Kahala Hotel & Resort. And I would like to offer my personal assistance in arranging your next stay if you would contact me at rgrippo@kahalaresort.com. Please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to discuss further.

Most Sincerely,

Roseann Grippo
The Kahala Hotel & Resort

1,463 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Medford, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

My wife and I took the kids to Kahala last June and had a wonderful time, so when we were deciding on a vacation for just the two of us the Kahala was the perfect choice. For the most part, our December trip met or exceeded our expectations. The rooms are magnificent and the views from our fourth floor mounain side room were great. We enjoy the retro design of the hotel along with the modern interiors. If smoking was allowed and people dressed more formally these days you could imagine that you were in a Mad Men episode. The pool and the beach were perfect places to relax when it wasn't windy or rainy. I thought the breakfast buffet at plumeria was a good value, especially if you can eat late enough to make it more of a brunch that will get you to dinner. We also had a wonderful dinner at Hoku.

We had two criticisms. As with our prior trip, the service at the pool and beach, as well as the lobby bar, can be spotty. There are some very good folks working outside, to be sure, but some of them are slow. A couple of the waitresses at the Vernanda seemed downright unfriendly. When I asked one of the waitresses about my bill--I thought I was being billed twice for the same drinks--she told me that she was sure she hadn't made a mistake and she "had not been drinking." Again, there were a couple of very good waitresses at Veranda, but a couple of them are probably in the wrong line of work. I will say that the food at Veranda as well as outside is excellent, especially the nachos and burgers. And the drinks were very good as well. The other criticism I share with some of the other reviewers is that the seafood buffett was a real disappointment, especially given the price. I expected overflowing amounts of fish, clams, lobsters, oysters, etc. The food at this buffett did not meet expectations.

All of that said, it was a wonderful trip. We love the class, charactor, and elegance of the Kahala and will go back. But for the service issues we would give the place five stars.

Room Tip: We preferred the Koko wing.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
KahalaResort, General Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for staying with us again and for sending your candid feedback regarding our facilities and our services. I was delighted to read that you were completely comfortable in your guest room and enjoyed the basic design of our hotel along with our pool and beach as well as the food quality and preparation in our restaurants. However, I must apologize for the poor performance by some of our waitresses at The Veranda. We never intend for our staff to be unfriendly or unprofessional with our guests, and be assured that your comments were shared with our Director of Food & Beverage, who personally addressed your review with all of the staff in that outlet. We do strive to continually improve our product as well as our high service standards. Your input regarding the Bounty of the Seven Seas buffet dinner is important to us. The seafood offerings vary weekly as it is sometimes necessary to make substitutions. On those occasions, we offer similar items and work to provide the highest quality product available. I am sorry that you were not completely satisifed with your dining experience, and I would like to thank you very much for your thoughtful feedback. My staff and I are looking forward to being of service to you again on a future occasion. Until then... Aloha and best wishes.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

For my first time in Hawaii, I couldn't have had a more pleasant stay. The property is very elegant yet relaxed and the staff very friendly and helpful, and very keen to assist with anything you may require.
As the hotel is away from Waikiki it is ideal to just enjoy the beach and the hotel facilities, although there is a small mall with cinema 5 minutes away. The hotel has a lagoon with dolphins, and its great to watch them any time of day up close. The rooms are lovely, there is an automatic upgrade if a room is available, which I enjoyed. Contrary to what others have said, the bathrooms are not too small, at least in the lagoon wing, and the food in the Plumaria restaurant was nicely cooked and presented. I will happily go again and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
KahalaResort, General Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Aloha and thank you for sending your wonderful compliments following your recent stay with us. Nothing makes us happier than to see that our guests were completely satisified with our services and guest facilities. My staff and I are looking forward to being of service to you again. Thank you for sharing your experience and best regards.
Walnut Creek, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We have stayed many times at the Kahala over the years through its various incarnations; in the days it was a Hilton, a Mandarin Oriental, and now with its current (non-affiliated) owner. Things have never been better at this classy and elegant resort a few miles from Waikiki.

I used to tell people the service at Kahala suffered from a slight air of haughtiness that always tainted our stay. That is GONE...nothing but sincere and friendly smiles to make sure your stay is as pleasurable as possible. The outside hotel structure which epitomizes some of the more outdated ideas of building design from the 60's gives no hint to the elegance you will encounter within.

From the drive-up and efficient (and free!) valet service, prompt and courteous counter check-in, you are ushered to your room with luggage and given explanations about the resort. We had a seamless experience. There was never any hint of an expected tip (although of course we did).

The spacious rooms have been slightly updated to be more modern with a cool palette rather than the traditional mix of Polynesian and Boston colonial furniture (the traditional Hawaiian mix since missionary days) they used to have. The room was impeccably and absolutely clean. Everything was in perfect order. Internet service was complimentary. The bathrooms remain unchanged with two sinks, two closets, separate shower and bath and a huge array of lotions and complimentary supplies. If you pick up the phone, they know your name. Housekeeping and turn down service was discreet.

Their main hotel restaurant, The Plumeria Beach House (aka Plumeria Cafe) which borders their beautiful, private sandy beach has been reverted back to a tropical garden theme, and service and food is friendly, effiicient, carefully prepared..and delicious. Choose to sit on the patio if it is a nice day. The breakfast buffet is back to its top-notch offering; of course at $31/person now, the price is top-notch too (we were offered and accepted a price break of 50% for two including tip and taxes if we pre-paid at the time of our reservation). High quality ingredients and careful preparation. This is easily one of our favorite eating spots in Hawaii.

I'm sure others will say they prefer the Halekulani and that their very reason for being on Oahu is to enjoy and be a part of the hustle-and-bustle of urban Waikiki and if that is why then certainly stay there, but if you want to enjoy the amenities of Honolulu and Oahu without being directly in Waikiki, the Kahala is an oasis of peace and gracious living that I highly recommend.

Room Tip: Please note that the Kahala is home to Hoku and his finny family of dophins, so if captive dolphins...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
KahalaResort, General Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
It is always a pleasure to welcome loyal return guests back to our resort, and thank you for taking the time to share your experience through your positive comments. I was delighted to see that our services, guest facilities, and The Plumeria Beach House continue to meet your expectations.
It will be honor for my staff and I to be of service to you again during your next visit to our corner in paradise. Aloha and warm regards.
washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Our family had celebrated many milestones here at the Kahala Hotel. I remembered the quiet, elegant service, the beautiful settings, the amazing view and the delicious food. May it be brunch with my folks, birthday celebrations or weddings, we all left delighted and extremely happy. This property has been THE HOTEL in Honolulu; its name would garner a bit of envy and praise. Unfortunately, the locals only speak of it with nostalgia; the Kahala hotel is a "has been," with falling standard of service.
The location of this hotel is excellent; adjoining the Waialae Country Club and with its own strip of beach. It is extremely private but with very easy access to Waikiki; furthermore, the small Kahala Mall is just a stone throw away.
The lobby is still exactly as I remembered: grand and beautiful. It was exquisite to see the sun slowly resting over the horizon, to feel the trade wind gently circling and to smell the very impressive Christmas tree towering over the lobby.
We had excellent reception by the valet; luggage were quickly retrieved and delivered to our room. The check in took a little longer than expected, but this allowed me to relive nostalgia.
We had a room in the lagoon wing overlooking the country club. The living space is well appointed and the bed is extremely comfortable; in fact, it is quite large for Honolulu standard. However, the bathroom is in need of a major face lift. I don't know if this meant to be part of the ambiance, but cracks on the tile and cabinets and chips on the furniture seemed a bit out of place. Also, the Tommy Bahama brand toiletries are a bit odd; it doesn't fit the over feel of this hotel.
As I walked down the corridor, I see the signature markings of this once Mandarin Oriental: there are beautiful pieces of furniture and Ming vase lamps. The tranquility and the soothing glows of the setting sun were simply amazing. Of course, this blessed evening was marred by the forgettable dinner at the Plumeria Restaurant.
Plumeria is one of those nuisance flowers that grows everywhere on the island, and it rots quickly. This restaurant has very similar qualities: very common, over priced and understaffed. As reviewed by Glenn B, the buffet is $55 per person and the offering is very underwhelmed compared to other establishments in this buffet-rich city. There were large parties, and the food were gone quickly, but took quite a while to be replenished. The hostess and manager were in foul mood that night and servers were assigned too many tables to offer adequate service.
An otherwise pleasant stay was scarred by misinformation given by the morning receptionist. We were to be stranded at the hotel and to miss our flight due to the start of the Honolulu Marathon. Our hearts skipped a bit, but we got out and arrived at the airport in plenty of time. So much for a pleasant lasting impression.
We would stay here again for the location, and living quarter is quite good. The valet and bell hop are first rate. However, I can see why this hotel is not quite five star. The management has changed so frequently in the past that this once grand dame of Honolulu is having a bit of identity crisis. A grand lobby with chipped bathroom, Tommy Bahama theme toiletries, Denny-like food and service just don't harmonize.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
KahalaResort, General Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you for staying with us again recently and for your loyal patronage over the years. I was delighted to see that you found that many things about our resort brought back fond memories, such as our private location, our grand lobby, particularly during this time of year with our holiday decorations and towering Christmas tree, the service provided by our bellmen and valets, as well as many features in your guest room. However, I was concerned to read your comments regarding a few other issues. We do repair bathroom floors when chipped tile or other items that need attention are reported. As far as the new Tommy Bahama amenities are concerned, they have been well received by our guests, although I always appreciate hearing another view. I regret that you were not completely satisfied with our Bounty of the Seven Seas buffet dinner and am very sorry that our service levels did not meet your expectations, as we always strive to provide the outstanding service we are known for. I would be happy to discuss more details of your stay with you if you would be kind enough to call me at 808 739-8823. Your business is important to us, and it would be a pleasure to be of service to you again and have the opportunity to restore your faith in our resort. Aloha and best regards.
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We only had one night at the Kahala during a recent cruise holiday, but wished we could have spent several days there. Beautiful property, enormous rooms (and quiet!), and a totally relaxed atmosphere. Would highly recommend!

Room Tip: We prefered the 2-story building over the high-rise. Very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
KahalaResort, General Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
I was delighted to read your positive comments and see that you had a good time during your brief stay at our resort. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back on another occasion when you can plan a longer stay and enjoy all of our services and facilities plus see more of our beautiful island. Thank you for sending your feedback. Aloha and best regards.
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Great staff, great location, mildly over-priced.

You can get more bang-for-your-buck on Oahu in Waikiki or Ko'Olina... but Kahala is away from the hustle-and-bustle of Waikiki, but close enough to the action for a short taxi ride away if that is your thing.

Dolphin show is great for the kids, beach is nice, protected unless there is a big south swell. Average grounds- it's Hawaii, but I've seen better landscaping at similar class resorts.

Did I say a great staff?

The server at the lobby bar/lounge area open in the evening I found to be a little on the salty side, but by and large everyone else at this resort was great.

As a local I've stayed at resorts on Maui, Big Island, Kauai and Oahu, and do so fairly regularly for work so I feel like I've got a good grasp of the market and what is available here.

Stayed one night for a sunrise wedding on 12/12/12, and I don't think you could ask for a better staff to plan your wedding- Amy, the wedding planner, is VERY good, and for someone coming from the mainland, she will make your special day a true delight. Highly recommend her.

Otherwise, it's all about the name at the Kahala- it's pretty much the top name resort you can stay at on Oahu, but that's more because of the location and heritage. (Kahala neighborhood is one of Hawaii's wealthiest)

As other local reviewers have noted here, it's really not that special... there are better beaches, better sunsets, and better locations, but the Kahala has a special feel to it and has played host to a number of celebrities over the years, probably more because of it's seclusion yet proximity to town. (Check out the wall of celebrities- it seems like every A-list actor from Hollywood present or past has stayed here)

Looking for 'The' name-brand high-end resort on Oahu? This is it. Looking for the best in value amenities, sunsets and beaches? There are better, newer resorts... but this one will certainly do... just be prepared to pay a premium for the name.

Room Tip: Tower rooms are large, spacious, but not all have balconies so you may want to request that if you g...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
KahalaResort, General Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you for staying at our resort recently and for sharing that experience. Our secluded location is very popular with guests as are the resident dolphins in our lagoon. We also find that visitors enjoy the other guest facilities and activities throughout the property. I was pleased to read your positive comments about the wedding you attended here then spent the night with us. I shared your feedback with our Catering & Conference Services staff, and they were happy to be of service. We have been fortunate over the years to welcome many Heads of State and other celebrities to our resort, and many of them are captured in photos on our Wall of Fame, which is a must see when staying with us. Our ocean front rooms with balconies are a very popular category, and I am pleased that you had that experience, also. My staff and I look forward to being of service to you again, hopefully, sometime soon. I wish you and your family the best in the New Year and beyond. Please consider our resort for any special occasion. Aloha and best regards.

Been to The Kahala Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!