My wife and I took the kids to Kahala last June and had a wonderful time, so when we were deciding on a vacation for just the two of us the Kahala was the perfect choice. For the most part, our December trip met or exceeded our expectations. The rooms are magnificent and the views from our fourth floor mounain side room were great. We enjoy the retro design of the hotel along with the modern interiors. If smoking was allowed and people dressed more formally these days you could imagine that you were in a Mad Men episode. The pool and the beach were perfect places to relax when it wasn't windy or rainy. I thought the breakfast buffet at plumeria was a good value, especially if you can eat late enough to make it more of a brunch that will get you to dinner. We also had a wonderful dinner at Hoku.
We had two criticisms. As with our prior trip, the service at the pool and beach, as well as the lobby bar, can be spotty. There are some very good folks working outside, to be sure, but some of them are slow. A couple of the waitresses at the Vernanda seemed downright unfriendly. When I asked one of the waitresses about my bill--I thought I was being billed twice for the same drinks--she told me that she was sure she hadn't made a mistake and she "had not been drinking." Again, there were a couple of very good waitresses at Veranda, but a couple of them are probably in the wrong line of work. I will say that the food at Veranda as well as outside is excellent, especially the nachos and burgers. And the drinks were very good as well. The other criticism I share with some of the other reviewers is that the seafood buffett was a real disappointment, especially given the price. I expected overflowing amounts of fish, clams, lobsters, oysters, etc. The food at this buffett did not meet expectations.
All of that said, it was a wonderful trip. We love the class, charactor, and elegance of the Kahala and will go back. But for the service issues we would give the place five stars.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Kahala Hotel & Resort is Hawaii's reigning luxury resort, set on a secluded beach just ten minutes from the world class shopping and entertainment of Waikiki. This legendary hideaway resort in Honolulu's plush Kahala district is a favorite with presidents, international royalty and celebrities. From the moment you arrive, you will know that you are truly somewhere special. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Loews Hotels, LHW, Expedia, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Otel, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Agoda and Tingo so you can book your The Kahala Hotel & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Kahala Hotel And Resort
- The Kahala Hotel Honolulu
- Kahala Resort Honolulu
- Kahala Hotel Honolulu
- Mandarin Oriental Oahu
- Kahala Hotel & Resort
- Kahala Mandarin Oriental
- The Kahala Hotel & Resort Hawaii/Honolulu