“Fabulous hotel, first class in every way” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
$355 (USD)
Ranked #5 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Sarasota
“Fabulous hotel, first class in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband and I were on a two week vacation on Hawaii and we were staying at the Kahala for our first 3 nights. We cannot speak highly enough of this hotel. It was our first time there and will certainly not be our last. Our accommodation was top notch, very spacious and the bathroom was excellent with his and her sinks at either end of the room, separate bath and large shower, fridge and safe, plenty of hanging space in the bathroom, again his and hers. We had a large balcony with partial view of the ocean (normally we prefer ocean front but the view we had was great with the golf course, mountains and homes at the back and the ocean to the side). The breakfasts were excellent although we only ever had the continental which gave us ample choice without needing any of the cooked options. Unfortunately we didn't get to try Hokus restaurant as I was unwell the night we had booked so had to cancel our reservation. We can both thoroughly recommend this hotel, the location is a little away from the downtown area but that suited us as it was really quiet and we had a rental car anyway. The actual pool area was a little small but the beach was just adjacent with very comfortable beds and full amenities so that's where we did our relaxing in the sun and swimming in the ocean. The dolphin attraction was wonderful, we didn't actually swim with them ourselves but watched others and did a lot of filming. So to sum up, luxury accommodation, staff were extremely friendly and helpful, service was exemplary, overall experience first class.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
KahalaResort, General Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
I was delighted to read all of your positive comments following your recent stay with us. It was great to see that our services and facilities met your expectations and you were totally comfortable in your guest room. My staff and I hope you can stay longer the next time you visit our resort and will have an opportunity to enjoy dinner in our signature restaurant, Hoku's. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back at that time. Aloha and best regards.

1,425 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed here quite a few months ago, so my review is a bit delayed (remembered that I forgot to review when I logged in to TA today...).

This property was a bit far from the downtown area, but we had a car, so we didn't mind and we actually enjoyed being away from the noise and commotion of downtown. The hotel did offer a complementary shuttle, but we always opted for our own vehicle, so I cannot speak to the shuttle service.

Our room was absolutely gorgeous on the top floor overlooking the ocean. I loved sleeping with the veranda doors open and never had an issue with bugs coming in. The room was large and mostly well-maintained. I really enjoyed the separate vanities in the bathroom, which made getting ready in the morning much easier for two people. The bedding was also extremely comfortable.

Our rate also included breakfast. Wow! This had to be one of the best breakfast options that I've ever had as included! Fresh squeezed juices, omelets, pancakes and waffles and fresh fruit, yogurt, etc. There were enough options that I could have eaten there all day. I'd definitely recommend trying to get a breakfast-included rate though as it was quite expensive if you paid separately. There were also a few other dining options on property that we found to be good (food and service), but nothing over-the-top spectacular.

The beach and pool areas were also very clean and beautiful. I especially love the privacy of the beach and the little island that juts out (makes for some great photos). We never had a problem with getting chairs, towels, etc.

The service was also attentive. The front desk staff was very accommodating for a few special requests that we had such as check cashing, recommendations, etc. They also promptly took care of a problem with our original reservation.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
KahalaResort, General Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to send your feedback. I was delighted to see that you had a good time and enjoyed our services and facilities, in particular, your ocean view guest room as well as our popular daily buffet breakfast. We always try to provide our guests with a pleasant and memorable resort experience, and I do appreciate hearing from you. My staff and I look forward to welcoming you back on another occasion sometime soon. Aloha and best regards.
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We booked with the Kahala after getting a good deal with Expedia. We knew full well it was an expensive 'resort' from the start but we were not happy with a few things when staying here.

PROS:
The valet/bell boys out the front were great, friendly, and always had some cold water and a beach towel for us.
The food at the Seaside grill was actually quite good even though it was a bit expensive
The dolphins, swimming pool and beach were all really nice
The bed was comfy and amazing

CONS:
Everything costs extra - want an umbrella? Sit in the shaded bungalow? Borrow a pool toy? They all cost extra. Even when there were only a few people by the pool, staff still wanted to charge for the bungalows.
The shuttle bus to Waikiki only starts at 10am and last pickup is 9:45pm. For such a large hotel, one bus per hour that holds 12 people is not sufficient. We would have spent over $300 in cab fares just to get to Waikiki and back during our 10 day stay. I'm sure you can afford a second shuttle bus that runs on the half hour and for longer hours?
No information/out of date info: No-one told us to book the shuttle, we had to learn that the hard way by not being allowed on and having to pay for a cab. The info book in the room mentioned a sushi restaurant - after walking around trying to find it we learnt it had been shut down.
WiFi was hit and miss, and we were only on the 1st floor.
We were not allowed to have a late checkout on our last day, when were were doing a Pearl Harbour tour - forcing us to check out at 5:45am and leave our bags in storage. I know they were not that busy as to need the room straight away.
No free breakfast - even the cheapest Holiday Inns have free breakfast, come on guys. There isn't even a microwave in the room either, just a small fridge.

In short, unless all you want to do is sit by a pool or the beach, this is an expensive inconvenient hotel. We were on our honeymoon and apart from some champagne in the room on the first night, we felt that the service was not up to the price of our stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
KahalaResort, General Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for selecting our resort for your recent honeymoon stay and for taking the time to share your experience. I was pleased to see that you appreciated the assistance provided by our Front Service staff and enjoyed dining at poolside as well as watching our resident dolphins in their private lagoon.

I appreciate you sharing your concerns regarding our shopping shuttle. Thank you for your suggestions on how to improve that complimentary guest service, and please accept my apology for any inconvenience you experienced. As a matter of interest, we are delighted to announce that our new shuttle bus with capacity for 18 riders will arrive in the next few weeks.

All of your feedback is important to me, and I would be pleased to discuss more details with you if you would be kind enough to call me directly. My staff and I look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion. Aloha and best regards.
West Sussex, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Stayed here for four nights, staff and service were exemplary. Restaurant meals were excellent and the overall experience was first class. Location in Kahala is quiet and far from the noisy Waikiki beach area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
KahalaResort, General Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to send your positive comments following your recent stay at our resort. I was delighted to see that you had a good time and enjoyed our secluded location as well as our guest services and restaurants. It will be a pleasure to be of service to you again on many future occasions. Aloha and best regards.
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This hotel is a place that my family has gone to every Thanksgiving for the past several years. In addition, I went as a child thru my teens during Christmas vacation for ten years. Wonderful, for families, special secluded spots or weddings, and honeymoon couples. Fantastic lobby that is beautifully decorated for all the holidays. All the food is delicious! My favorite is the macadamia nut thin rolled pancakes. Looking forward to my next trip back to the Kahala.

Room Tip: Anyone can have an ocean view room...I prefer above the waterfall. I love the sound of the waterfall...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
It was thoughtful of you to send your wonderful comments about our resort, and it was a delight to hear from a loyal return guest. We always try to provide a comfortable and memorable resort experience, and we are so pleased that our services, facilities, and food quality and preparation have met your expectations for so many years. My staff and I look forward to welcoming you back during the holidays or any time you are able to plan another trip to Honolulu. Aloha and best regards.
Reno, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel's location on the beach is fabulous. Hotel premises,however, have seen better days. Also, the staff at the reception desk was not that friendly or helpful. Pool is very small and also in need of an update. Don't think the resort warrants the high cost of their rooms. We will return to Maui for our next vacation.

Room Tip: We stayed at the ground floor but that required an upgrade and they charged extra 150.00 per night,
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
KahalaResort, General Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you for staying with us recently and for sending your candid comments. I appreciate receiving all feeedback from our guests, both positive and negative. We offer promotions and packages throughout the year which have excellent value, and I hope that there will be an opportunity for us to welcome you back to our resort on a future occasion. Aloha and best regards.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here for our Honeymoon and it couldnt have been any better!
We got an upgrade to a suite, lei and champange on arrival and the staff were just so friendly!The room was gorgeous and spacious, we had 2 windows with different aspects so it really was gorgeous waking up everyday especially looking out and seeing the dolphins swimming and jumping around!
everything about the hotel was just perfect, the pool was nice and quiet, you only have to take a stroll onto the beach and the food was unreal!!
They operate a shuttle bus back and fro from waikiki, which is about 15 mins away, but it was fine as the bus was regular. The only thing was that it stopped pretty early in the evening, but you cant really fault them on that who would want to be driving around at all hours of the night! A taxi back to the hotel didnt cost that much so it really wasnt an issue.
I just cant say enough about thsi hotel, its by far the best hotel we have ever stayed in!
You didn't feel out of place there either like you can in some fancy hotels, you knew it was very high class but everyone was welcome!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
KahalaResort, General Manager at The Kahala Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
I was delighted to read your wonderful comments following your recent stay, and thank you for selecting our resort to celebrate your honeymoon. It is gratifying to know that you were completely comfortable in your room and enjoyed our honeymoon amenities and other guest services. To watch the dolphins in our private lagoon from your window was no doubt a memorable event each morning. My staff and I are looking forward to welcoming you back to our resort when you are able to plan another trip to our beautiful island. Congratulations again and best wishes.

Been to The Kahala Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!