We booked with the Kahala after getting a good deal with Expedia. We knew full well it was an expensive 'resort' from the start but we were not happy with a few things when staying here.
The valet/bell boys out the front were great, friendly, and always had some cold water and a beach towel for us.
The food at the Seaside grill was actually quite good even though it was a bit expensive
The dolphins, swimming pool and beach were all really nice
The bed was comfy and amazing
Everything costs extra - want an umbrella? Sit in the shaded bungalow? Borrow a pool toy? They all cost extra. Even when there were only a few people by the pool, staff still wanted to charge for the bungalows.
The shuttle bus to Waikiki only starts at 10am and last pickup is 9:45pm. For such a large hotel, one bus per hour that holds 12 people is not sufficient. We would have spent over $300 in cab fares just to get to Waikiki and back during our 10 day stay. I'm sure you can afford a second shuttle bus that runs on the half hour and for longer hours?
No information/out of date info: No-one told us to book the shuttle, we had to learn that the hard way by not being allowed on and having to pay for a cab. The info book in the room mentioned a sushi restaurant - after walking around trying to find it we learnt it had been shut down.
WiFi was hit and miss, and we were only on the 1st floor.
We were not allowed to have a late checkout on our last day, when were were doing a Pearl Harbour tour - forcing us to check out at 5:45am and leave our bags in storage. I know they were not that busy as to need the room straight away.
No free breakfast - even the cheapest Holiday Inns have free breakfast, come on guys. There isn't even a microwave in the room either, just a small fridge.
In short, unless all you want to do is sit by a pool or the beach, this is an expensive inconvenient hotel. We were on our honeymoon and apart from some champagne in the room on the first night, we felt that the service was not up to the price of our stay.
- Also Known As:
- The Kahala Hotel Honolulu
- The Kahala Hotel And Resort
- Kahala Resort Honolulu
- Kahala Hotel Honolulu
- Mandarin Oriental Oahu
- Kahala Hotel & Resort
- Kahala Mandarin Oriental
- The Kahala Hotel & Resort Hawaii/Honolulu
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Kahala Hotel & Resort is Hawaii's reigning luxury resort, set on a secluded beach just ten minutes from the world class shopping and entertainment of Waikiki. This legendary hideaway resort in Honolulu's plush Kahala district is a favorite with presidents, international royalty and celebrities. From the moment you arrive, you will know that you are truly somewhere special. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TravelClick, Hotels.com, LHW, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, BookIt.com, getaroom.com, Amex, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Otel, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your The Kahala Hotel & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.