“Beautiful, clean facility, excellent service and staff!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fernhurst Residence - YWCA of Oahu

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honolulu
Fernhurst Residence - YWCA of Oahu
You added Fernhurst Residence - YWCA of Oahu to your Saves list
1566 Wilder Ave., Honolulu, Oahu, HI 98622   |
Wailuku, Hawaii
“Beautiful, clean facility, excellent service and staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

I stayed at the YWCA Ferhurst residence with my daughter-in-law and granddaughter for 2 nights. My granddaugter had to get a medical procedure done at a nearby hospital. The stay at Fernhurst was very pleasant. The facility was very clean and orderly. The staff was so professional and easy to speak with and very accessible. I appreciated the low noise levels (so quiet) and the dining area was very nice. The laundry facility was also excellent (although we didn't use it). We didn't eat at the facility and we weren't there long enough to have room service. The hotel security was excellent. My D.I.L would have loved a tv in the room, but I didn't mind not having one. For the baby, we didn't have a crib and so that was a little difficult to handle.
I would recommend this hotel to others and I adore the YWCA as a non-profit!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Families
Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

This trip was my 3rd to the island of Oahu so it was not important for me to be close to the beach or in the thick of Waikiki. I was very happy to stay in a residential part of Honolulu at the Fernhurst instead of touristville. In case you don't read the rest of my review, I want to make a point of noting how caring and non-judgmental the staff are. Reminded me of some people I've worked with in the non-profit world; people with good hearts. This place is affordable and you get two meals included. I didn't care for the food myself as I don't like packaged cereals and frozen veggies, but that's just me. Also, I don't eat red meat. The free computer lab and the laundry facilities in the building is a bonus. I found the internet connection on both Oahu and Maui slow compared to back home, but I was on vacation so slow was okay and free internet is awesome! The residence is kept very clean and the people who stayed there were quiet. I was given a room closest to the main intersection which wasn't quiet enough for me, and like another reviewer said the birds do make a lot of noise, even after 11pm! If you're not a light sleeper, it wouldn't be a problem. The birds might just be on one side of the building, too. The beach and the shopping, etc. are just a short bus trip away, and if you're an avid walker you can even walk to a lot of places. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

I stayed here for 6 weeks due to an internship. The staffs were very very nice, they help whenever possible and are polite. The room and bathroom is decent and the corridor and common area was always clean. The furnitures are a bit old and the closet space are limited, but it is sufficient if you are coming for a short trip. They provide a locked closet for security which was very nice. The internet does not have great connection, get disconnected once in awhile but you can use the computers in the computer room which is faster; printer is provided as well. Free breakfast and dinner are decent when you don't feel like eating out. The residence is also closed to bus line, walmart and Ala Moana Shopping Center

In terms of sleep quality, the residencies always keep quiet, the only thing that affected my sleep was the bird outside the window... basically they don't stop churning even when the windows are closed. Also, they do provide a fan but I bought another fan coz it gets very hot in the middle of the day. I rent a refrigerator and the heat adds on....

Overall, I highly recommend the stay given the price (which I doubt you can find a cheaper place to stay), cleanliness, staff courtesy and safety!

Room Tip: Double room, 30 day stay gives the lowest rate
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

I moved in to student housing that was loud, filthy and unsafe. After 5 nights the RA's were not able to move me, so I packed my things and headed for the Y. I wasn't aware that I needed reservations, so I had to wait an extra day to move in, but it was worth the wait. The ladies at the YWCA do not ask any questions or assume anything. They are all friendly and sincere. I was well taken care of in my 3 night stay, with internet (cafe downstairs or ethernet in-room), two meals a day, laundry room, and best of all I did not have to clean! I was paired up in a double room with an extremely nice girl who made me feel at home right away. I felt very safe being around only women (no boys allowed!) and was happy for my lock-able closet. They were very flexible with my uncertainty about my length of stay, and were very welcoming. As a student who is not into loud parties and big messes, I was so grateful to have a place like the Y to rely on. I would recommend the YWCA to anyone who is in need of a relaxing and warm place.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Spokane, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

The facility is well maintained. The staff was not only cheery but went beyond duty to make my late arrival welcoming. The breakfast is adaquate, not great.
I was pleased with the security and locking personal clothsets.
I felt safe while in residence. I plan to return next year for an extended stay because it is so affordabl, friendly, clen and safe.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Fairbanks, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

I was stuck in Honolulu a few unplanned days because of no flights out and hadn't planned in the extra days of expensive hotels to my trip. I've never stayed at a YWCA before and was a bit learly of what I would find. I was so pleasantly surprised. The price was about 1/3 of a modest priced hotel, and the staff were very friendly, kind, and helpful. The entire facility was spotless, breakfast and dinner were provided, washer and dryer available, secure locked outside doors. The rooms were clean if a bit sparse, TV in two common rooms, shared bathroom with one other room, bit of road noise, but for downtown Honolulu, on the bus system, a welcome relief from the exhorbitant prices at peak season.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

The community here was absolutely wonderful. It is all women who have some sense of adventure, no matter their age. One day another guest asked me and my friend, "Say, I have an extra, brand new snorkel that I'm never going to use. Do you think you would want it?" So we inherited a free snorkel. The front desk ladies (you will get to know them by name) are constantly willing to help you with the confusing bus system and prices of attractions, etc. The YWCA is completely safe; you must have a key to even enter the building. Very clean; no bugs. Free breakfast and dinner! Air was a perfect temperature using the fan provided, and there was even a nice view out of the window. Our rooms were clean every day and trash removed. The location is perfect: 20 minute walk to Waikiki beach, right on the bus route, fast commute to north shore, safe neighborhood. We had a great time.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Fernhurst Residence - YWCA of Oahu? Share your experiences!