“Get there early” 4 of 5 stars

Activities: Wind-surfing, Hiking
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: A dormant volcano crater.
Houston, Texas
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Get there early”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Our family had climbed Diamondhead 20 years ago, but wanted to try it again with our granddaughter. No luck this time. By 9:30 am the parking lot was filled and arrivals were turned awy to try to fiind parking at the base of the hill which would have added two miles or so to the trek. We will know better next time.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Worth the effort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The hike distance isn't long but it is steep. Be sure to wear tennis shoes or hiking shoes (although there were many people doing it in flip flops, ballet flats, and sandals-totally ridiculous!) My calves were reminding me of the hike for days! I would recommend going as early as possible before it get too hot. No need in our opinion to make the addition walk from the first parking lot through the road tunnel (very narrow walking pathway). We parked in the 5.00 lot and went from there. Great views and several stopping points for looking out. There is a loooong, narrow, dark tunnel to to through. Once through the tunnel go right for STEEP steps up to the top or go left for an easier ascent with less steep stairs.

Malibu, California
180 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 266 helpful votes
“This is a view...An iconic view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This is a hike to do...great ocean, Waikiki and other city views. Easy hike. You can taxi or shuttle to park center, pay your dollar, short hike to the top and get a million dollar view!

First trip: we taxied. This trip I walked from lower side of Waikiki to park center and up...about an hour or so walk park and then up to crater. You get to pass along some gret catal views and beautiful homes. The long walk there, short hike and long walk back makes for a nice morning.
Morning is best to beat the heat and crowds.

1-2 hours taxi/shuttle
4 hours walk to-from city

Brooklyn, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“What A Great Experience!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Traveled to Hawaii for a seven (7) day cruise around this beautiful mountain range. We spent five (5) days in Waikiki and on the last day we hiked Diamond Head. Each step up this crater was more beautiful than the previous step. I became a little winded in the tunnel, but my husband encouraged me through. Once you make it through the tunnel you are more than half way to the top. I took a little break and Monet said I could not stop and my BFF (Angela) was at the top of Diamond Head, telling me that I could make it. When I reached the top my group was there and we relished the moment of such an accomplishment. Michael, Lisa, Angela, Rosina, Gary, Victor, Monet, Quentin, Khyle, Ashley left their footprints along the trail on Monday, July 7, 2014. Monique left her footprints half way up and Anthony left his footprints at the bottom of the trail. LOL!!! The views were amazing and a sight to behold. Mahalo!!

22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Must do trek”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

A dollar gets you access to the crater park walking trails and an info sheet. Follow the path to the summit and take some water. Path starts out with a concrete surface which gets steeper and rougher as the gradient increases. Super steep steps (on right) after the tunnel, take you to the concrete bunkers at the top. Enjoy the terrific views of Waikiki from the peak. Take a challenge and do it all in a sweaty, strenuous hour of fast-paced walking, or better still, take your time and have a leisurely stroll. Recommend you go early in the day to avoid the heat.

Visited July 2014

Been to Diamond Head? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Diamond Head, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.